Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AW 55-50 Transmission Glad to help!

Views : 104576

Replies : 399

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2015, 18:21   #311
PNuT
MaDMaN

Evening, My mum owns a 2005 V70D5 with one of these AW55/50SN boxes & it has started giving her a few problems...

mainly seems to be a bit clunky dropping down from 2nd to 1st when approaching a junction & sometimes hanging in gear without changing almost to the point it feels like it is going to stall!

firstly I assume the best plan of action is to flush the fluid through completely & see how that improves things?

Any thing else it might be with those symptoms?

Many thanks

Old Jan 4th, 2016, 07:45   #312
roksajet

Default occasionally limp mode

Hi. I have v70 2003 automatic d5. I have an issue that it is all starting that first my cruise control is disabled and few second later on my gear handle lights that shows PRND went blank. At that time transmission goes from 5th to 4th gear. Some miles later it all resets and works normal again. Of course few minutes later here we go again some problems. Any ideas?
roksajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 00:39   #313
wkeith

Default 2001 S60 T5 Trans Blown up

Hi I have a S60 T5 Auto and the trans has self destructed. The car has only done 70,000 Kilometres and is to good to scrap. The box has 50-55SN 9480902 on the plate. I have to find another box and wondered if it is possible to fit a later box ? Many Thanks in advance Keith
wkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 20:09   #314
mihkel

I'm having a bit of a strange problem with my AW55-50SN. The car is a 2001 V70 Bifuel.

The problem is quite simple - no lock up of the converter clutch what so ever. No codes in the TCM (that's the weirdest part). Before the problem started I updated the software to remove neutral control. Drove it for a while, a few weeks later on the motorway I noticed the problem (revs were 2500 as opposed to 2100 before at cruising)

The TCM is telling the box to engage the TCC but nothing happens. Shouldn't it throw a code in that case?

The only thing I could grab onto is that it throws a catalytic converter code on the ECU every once in a while, about every 1000km maybe. And that was before the box problem aswell.

Changed the fluid, even changed the converter, still the problem persists.
mihkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 20:25   #315
Simon Jones
Premier Member

What are you using to read the codes? I'd be surprised if VIDA won't give you detailed codes with the symptoms you describe.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 06:18   #316
mihkel

Yep, I'm using VIDA.

The only thing I can grab onto at the moment is the catalytic converter fault code ECM-4201 (three way catalytic converter efficiency). Had an exhaust gas test taken and the results were superb. Haven't looked into that anymore.

But why I am talking about the cat is this little procedure in the TCM
"Catalytic Converter Start – This function helps the engine to reach operating temperature by
preventing converter lockup and delaying the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts when the engine is cold.
This is a normal function."

Maybe it senses that the cat isn't yet working properly and prevents lockup to heat it up? It's a longshot but it's the only thing I can manage to think of... Oooooor there's a problem with the new TCM software.

Oh, and I even tried the TEST mode for the box which should throw codes more easily. Still nothing.
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 07:38   #317
c_lee
VOC26332

In VIDA there is an option to independently operate the transmission solenoids with just the ignition switched on and the engine stopped.

Someone listening close to the front of the transmission should clearly hear them click on testing.
The lock up solenoid can be tested in this manner.

The TCM also checks for both high or low solenoid current to see whether the solenoid is short or open circuit ( or high resistance ) and the TCM has fault codes it will display for these two conditions.

If those fault codes are not showing then I would expect the electrical solenoid circuits to be intact.

There may be a lazy solenoid which is neither open nor short circuit.

I presume you have already checked the ATF level.

Has the transmission had appropriate ATF changes and when was it last changed?

Are you using the correct JWS ATF for the transmission?

Colin

EDIT: Sorry - just noticed you've changed the ATF.

Last edited by c_lee; Feb 8th, 2017 at 07:42.
c_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 07:58   #318
mihkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lee View Post
In VIDA there is an option to independently operate the transmission solenoids with just the ignition switched on and the engine stopped.

Someone listening close to the front of the transmission should clearly hear them click on testing.
The lock up solenoid can be tested in this manner.

The TCM also checks for both high or low solenoid current to see whether the solenoid is short or open circuit ( or high resistance ) and the TCM has fault codes it will display for these two conditions.

If those fault codes are not showing then I would expect the electrical solenoid circuits to be intact.

There may be a lazy solenoid which is neither open nor short circuit.

I presume you have already checked the ATF level.

Has the transmission had appropriate ATF changes and when was it last changed?

Are you using the correct JWS ATF for the transmission?

Colin

EDIT: Sorry - just noticed you've changed the ATF.
The oil is per spec, JWS 3309, and it's nice and red, no sign of slippage from the oil. The box acts superb during the gear changes, no problems there.

I don't have any info on the previous life of the box as I recently swapped it. The previous box had a terrible 3-2 change delay. The new (used) box was working great for about 2-3000km. Changed oil and reset the TCM adaptations as soon as I noticed the converter problem.

ATF level is correct.

Checked the SLU solenoid yesterday with VIDA, current seems to be correct. Holds a steady current when the DIM displays full lockup of the converter. If the solenoid is stuck, wouldn't it affect 1-2-3 gear changes as well?

Going to listen the solenoids in the evening, see if they click.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 17:35   #319
mihkel

Well, tried to activate the solenoids. Shift solenoids all clicked. Linear solenoids SLS and SLU didn't make any audible sounds... Only SLT did. Could this mean that the SLU is stuck?

I cleaned the solenoids on the old box by taking them apart, so this wouldn't be a problem.

Wouldn't a stuck solenoid trigger a fault code if the converter won't lock?
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 20:30   #320
Supraweld
Supraweld

Default problem

I have one of these gearboxes, it changes gear up and down perfectly. No flare, No bump, nothing.
The problem is at speed (90ish mph) on a steady run, the gearbox seems to slip on acceleration. It only does this with weight in the car (3 or 4 people) and when it is hot, after half hour driving at least. It only does it in 4th / 5th gear and only at speed. No other symptoms whatsoever.

Any ideas what this could be?

Volvo in Mansfield suggested I have overheated the gearbox, so buy a new one.

I have done a proper flush with 3309, and had updates and reset done. No change.

On the verge of sending yet another volvo to the scrap man.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Supraweld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aw 55-50 help on the way, vaiotag