Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

body roll

Views : 1151

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 14:51   #1
clodhopper

hello everyone and a happy new year to you all.
i have a 1990 240 glt estate, i'm very happy with the car in most respects except the amount of body roll.i've been used to driving a (dare i say it ? )focus :( which went around corners with virtually no roll.what i want to know is are there worthwhile mods out there to stiffen up the suspension also to assist when i'm towing my caravan.i'm also concidering fitting larger,lower profile tyres,could i use the glt alloys or would i have to buy tyre and wheel combinations.any help would be gratefully received .gareth.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 17:05   #2
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

Default RE: body roll

you can buy upgraded anti roll bars - GLT are the biggets spec std ones . GLT alloys would be the best starting position unless you wanted something nicer looking , i supply lowering sets , although you might be wary of this if towing . Do a general search of volvo performance , youll get some interesting answers .

some websites with info - turbobricks , brickboard , turbo performance club etc etc .
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 20:42   #3
wagoneer

I'm running 205/60 14's on the standard steel wheels. They look loads better but offer little in the way of a stiffer ride. The next job is to cut a few coils out of each spring, that stiffens it up a bit!

Those GLT anti roll bars will help, I've even seen two used together on the rear before. New silcoflex rubbers all round works as well.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 15:23   #4
Erling
VOC member

I replaced the standard (19 mm?) swaybars on my GL sedan with Turbo swaybars (23/21 mm), and put in Sachs Advantage gas shocks on all four corners, and also 195/60/15 tyres on Virgo wheels. This really improved the handling a lot.

If your GLT wagon has the same specs as their Scandinavian brothers and sisters, you have 15 mm shorter and slightly stiffer springs than standard DL/GL/GLE. You also have the Turbo front swaybar. If still you want better handling, I guess lowering springs (Lesjöfors, Kilen) and stiff Koni or Bilsteins shocks, combined with 16" wheels should make a noticeable difference.

...but whatever you do, it's not worth anything if your bushings are worn.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:53   #5
cochapman

On my GLT saloon (which I was using for road rallying), I did the dual ARB conversion as listed on the Turbobricks forum: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...t=dual+swaybar

It certainly made for much less body roll and really did improve the handling. I then cut about 3/4 of a coil out of each front spring, which again slightly tightened things. Had my (ex!!!)mate not crashed and written the car off, I would probably have taken another 3/4 coil off the springs, I just didn't want to "slam it to the weeds" :-))

I've still got the rear twin ARB conversion plates in the shed, you're welcome to them if you want them. I've also got six GLT 15" alloy wheels for sale, IIRC three have got tyres on them.

Send me an email if you're interested.
cochapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:52   #6
ravennexus

fatter ARB's i could do with, mine are only skinny as the car started out as a DL, it does have volvo R-sport rallycross shocks so they keep the roll pretty much in check but in really hard stuff it does still roll to much

oh and it's fairly low too. springs cut 1 turn all around

pics can be seen at http://www.pbase.com/ravennexus/244
ravennexus is offline   Reply With Quote