Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

900 thermostat O ring gasket

Views : 412

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2018, 16:19   #1
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 900 thermostat O ring gasket

hi all i have just purchased a thermostat and O ring gasket for my 940 tdi i can't get the O ring gasket to fit into the engine block im told i have the wrong O ring the one from volvo dealers is different than the old one i took off the new O ring is square shaped with a small groove in the middle which does fit nicely round the outer edge of the thermostat . the old O ring sat on the outside face of the thermostat the stat is nearly the same size as the hole in the engine block so when O ring is fitted to outside edge it will not fit .
can any of you guys with the petrol engine tell me if you have a O ring that fits round the outside edge with the small groove . this will tell me for sure i have the wrong O ring . i have put the old O ring back and applied a small amount of HYLOMAR sealant this has stopped the leak i had for now
all comments most welcome .
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 16:26   #2
Tyron760
No redblock? No comment!

Redblock thermostat o-ring is the square type with groove.
940 lpt classic auto estate tropic green 1997
Tyron760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyron760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 18:26   #3
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default thermostat

hi thanks for your comment don't suppose you woud have the part number and spec of car ie 940 LTP and .year approx
regards jim
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 20:53   #4
jor
VOC 20573

If you have the incorrect O ring perhaps it came with the wrong thermostat? There's no shortage e.g. item 2325937608, which is QH and as a bonus is the higher temp 92 degree opening one.

jor
The Following User Says Thank You to jor For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 21:24   #5
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default thermostat

hi jor
the stat ive just got is exactly the same as the stat i put in the car D 24 2 years ago . i only need the O ring really but got the stat to as they are not that expensive well £ 18 for stat and 0 ring take it you have replaced your stat on the D24 too over time just hope the new O ring is the same as the original one do you have any part numbers ?
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 22:53   #6
jor
VOC 20573

No numbers I'm afraid, but it's always difficult trying to find a part gasket minus part. I think it will be carry on with the old one and hope it lasts, or part with a few quid.

jor
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 12:10   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Jim, there's a very high chance you have the correct gasket, also that the recess it should sit in on the head has become encrusted with a combination of old gasket, limescale and rust. Use a screwdriver to gently scrape round where the thermostat should sit and you will almost certainly find the recess is there. If so, clean it out with the screwdriver blade and smear some vaseline or silicone grease round the new 'stat seal after fitting it to the 'stat.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 18:48   #8
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default thermostat

hi dave i really cleaned around recess with 800 emery paper . asked the question on the D24 forum and came back the grooved gasket is not the one for this engine so for now no leaks and my volvo dealer has ordered another gasket ive had parts come wrong before so will see what turns up thanks for your comments dave
regards jim
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 21:12   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi dave i really cleaned around recess with 800 emery paper . asked the question on the D24 forum and came back the grooved gasket is not the one for this engine so for now no leaks and my volvo dealer has ordered another gasket ive had parts come wrong before so will see what turns up thanks for your comments dave
regards jim
Sorry Jim, i missed wherever it said it was diesel! Ignore me on this one then!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 19:39   #10
Jimsiss

My brother had no end of problems with his Diesel Mk2 Golf thermostat (same engine but the 4 cylinder variant). Aftermarket parts rarely fitted without Hylomar to help seal it. Has it got the plastic 90° bend that keeps the thermostat in place (bottom radiator hose attaches to it)? If so these sometimes warp over time and leak too.