Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dyno morning at Power Dynamics, 15th.Dec.

Views : 14261

Replies : 149

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 21:38   #141
TEZ-1

Well where do i start firstly a massive thankyou to s60ben for the ride down to the meet,thanks to Don and all involed in organising the whole thing and of coarse to Ashok for the very tasty cakes.

Got to meet some really decent people,hammy,irf,ashok, to name a couple and there was some really nice motors there,it was a fantastic morning so a big thankyou to you all.
TEZ-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 22:17   #142
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hi folks,

another great session - good to see everyone.

For reference, here's my results back in March:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...4&postcount=92

Back then I did two runs, a stock ECU then an MTE280.

Since then I've refurbished my turbo myself and switched to a K&N panel filter - no other 'performance' mods just general maintenance.

This time I ran a stock ECU then a RICA304 - I've attached the graph below.

The top most line is the RICA torque, then the stock torque curve then the RICA BHP curve and stock BHP curve.

Bear in mind mine's an auto, so Iain Ball the engineer ran it in third but I can only get wheel figures :-(

Basically, between March and December the difference between the stock ECUs is +5WHP which fares well given I've not changed the car's hardware.

In March on the stock ECU I made 221lb-ft of torque (300Nm) which is exactly what Volvo's original press release claimed. The stock ECU also made 161WHP.

In March MTE's map made 179WHP on the graph (did also manage a not-recorded 181WHP) and 237lb-ft (321Nm).

This the stock ECU made 166WHP, but I didn't note the peak torque :-/

The RICA304 made 189WHP but strangely the peak torque only appears to be 210lb-ft (285Nm) which I can't understand since it's lower than stock!

MTE and RICA both claim the same figure for torque (low end of a range in RICA's case) of 405Nm so I guess something must be off.

Iain did say the kickdown was behaving slightly oddly with the RICA map on, so perhaps the torque convertor wasn't in lock-up when the curve was recorded?

Any ideas appreciated else I'll have to wait till next March for another session and take more careful note of the torque on the stock ECU run :-)

Anyway, I was relatively happy that 189WHP would equate to around 270BHP assuming 30% loss through the auto transmission. This figure seemed to be in line with cars with similar ECUs and hardware.

Cheers, Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Both.jpg (48.5 KB, 27 views)
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:08   #143
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE-MAL View Post
I managed to get a couple of short videos with my digital camera.
One of Ashoks car and one of Henriks Chevy. File size is around 8mb the pair.

Anyone know how I can post them?
I can host them no problem. Just email them to me.
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 15:07   #144
Bluefin

I had mine dynod 5 years back and I got the same 168whp with my auto.

Dont no why your figures are flutuating like they are but when I first had my jag sorted at parogon it first read 405whp,with 478ntm. but 5 months back for some reasion after I had the new exhurst fitted "that wasnt realy a modification, read 417whp, but the torque figger went down to 469,we just put it down to the "power's to be" sort of thing,or there rolling road was dodgy?

Last edited by Bluefin; Mar 10th, 2008 at 15:19.
Bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 16:47   #145
dooby
Forum Support Team

OK, thanks - that's useful input.

I'm hoping to go to the rolling road day in Lincolnshire organised by T5-Tez which might show up if my last result was a one-off mistake. It'll also be interesting to see if the figures are similar between two completely different rolling roads - only been to the Uxbridge one so far.

It might be geeky, but this stuff fascinates me :-)

Cheers, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:03   #146
TEZ-1

Your on the list mate,like you say it will be good to see the figures from a differant dyno which is fairly new too and you get 2 graphs 1,showing BHP and Torque.2,showing Boost and Afr.Thanks.Tez
TEZ-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 21:01   #147
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Finally got round to posting some pics....

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 22:17   #148
John_C
Allons-y!

Hey Graeme, your pic makes my car look bloody filthy, I'll have you know I washed it specially before turning up

Thanks for posting the pic of it running on the rollers, I was taking video at the time so it's nice to have a still shot of it. Somehow it seems scarier than the video

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 22:31   #149
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Hey Graeme, your pic makes my car look bloody filthy, I'll have you know I washed it specially before turning up

Thanks for posting the pic of it running on the rollers, I was taking video at the time so it's nice to have a still shot of it. Somehow it seems scarier than the video

Cheers,
John
Hmm...I was a bit over-enthusiastic with the compression on the pics! I'll try & sort out a clearer shot for you....might even photoshop out the dirt...

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 22:58   #150
John_C
Allons-y!

LOL, you even have to detail your photos now m8, it's an obsession
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote