Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No acceleration. Intermittent

Views : 1151

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 13:12   #1
ZER0

Default No acceleration. Intermittent

Hi lovely people,

Been having a strange issue where you start driving and everything is fine, but then you try going up a hill or speed up a fair amount and there’s just no acceleration. The car won’t change gear or go any faster. It’s like the revs build but nothing else!

I don’t drive the car much myself, but my wife thought it was just acting up more in the cold weather, being slow in the winter as it’s an oap, but it’s done it this morning too and several times on the way back from the Lake District yesterday on the motorway. It wouldn’t go above 60mph for a while, or 20 this morning for a couple of minutes.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it? Or what a fix is?

The car is due for a service, it’s now showing ‘regular service due’, but yesterday it showed ‘engine service required’ each time it lost power. It’s not showing it now though.

The car is a 55 plate, 2.4 D5 Auto. 175,000 miles with full service history.

Thanks very much in advance
ZER0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 15:12   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

What you are experiencing is commonly referred to as "Limp-Home Mode" or just Limp Mode. If a fault occurs in the engine/gearbox, sometimes the computer will prevent further damage by limiting the revs and power. The "Engine Service Required" message will show when this occurs. Often, it will self-clear for a while if the problem is intermittent.

There are many possible causes and the only way to diagnose this is to read the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) preferably using a Volvo-compatible scanner such as VIDA/DiCE. Then you can fix the problem
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 18:38   #3
ZER0

Thanks Greg.

I’ll ask the garage to look into it when it goes in for a service. Hopefully in the next week or so.

I have heard of Limp Mode, but didn’t think it would be that as it’s so intermittent. Sometimes it literally lasts under a minute. But I guess cars and computers are complicated things. I’ve just driven it for a 60 mile round trip and had no issues what-so-ever, in auto or tip.

Thanks very much for your advice and knowledge 👍🏼
ZER0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 20:13   #4
4x4
I roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER0 View Post
The car won’t change gear or go any faster. It’s like the revs build but nothing else!
Wonder if it could be a gearbox problem?
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 14:30   #5
dstc

Default Sounds like a classic seized VNT ring on the turbo

This sounds like a classic seized VNT ring on the GT 2056V turbo. Our 53 reg D5 XC90 did this. The VNT ring was coked full of soot. You can put a Pela pump on the vacuum line to check if the VNT vanes close. Ours couldn't even move 1mm. It's a huge job to get the turbo off, you're probably better buying a recon turbo and swapping it over or getting a local indie to do it. Allegedly you can squirt Mr Muscle oven cleaner in there and slowly free up the VNT ring. The VAG boys do it on their TDI's. Good luck.
dstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 12:36   #6
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstc View Post
This sounds like a classic seized VNT ring on the GT 2056V turbo. Our 53 reg D5 XC90 did this. The VNT ring was coked full of soot. You can put a Pela pump on the vacuum line to check if the VNT vanes close. Ours couldn't even move 1mm. It's a huge job to get the turbo off, you're probably better buying a recon turbo and swapping it over or getting a local indie to do it. Allegedly you can squirt Mr Muscle oven cleaner in there and slowly free up the VNT ring. The VAG boys do it on their TDI's. Good luck.
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^
I'll bet a beer you have the 6805 engine fault code and if not a vacuum issue it'll be a VNT issue. See this thread, my pain covered on the last few pages. Replacement turbo fixed mine.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132443

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 15:45   #7
gmonag
Premier Member

All possibly true, but a proper diagnosis is the only way to fix this. Otherwise it is all guesswork, which is inefficient and expensive.