Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power steering

Views : 1673

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2021, 00:43   #21
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
The 164 had power steering Derek but don’t know much about it personally. Think folk have retrofitted it to the 140 but not heard anyone do it to the Amazons.
The early 164 didn't have power steering. First year only maybe? Paul? Being heavier at the front than previous Volvos it really need it. No room to fit that system on the Amazon. Not even sure if the RHD ES and others had it on RHD cars. LHD yes.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 15:13   #22
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The early 164 didn't have power steering. First year only maybe? Paul? Being heavier at the front than previous Volvos it really need it. No room to fit that system on the Amazon. Not even sure if the RHD ES and others had it on RHD cars. LHD yes.
The 164 power steering box won't fit into a Amazon, P1800 and the 140 series.

I did swap a few into amazons and P1800 and I know the kind of grade of complication to do this.

Not easy, a serious job. You have to weld and build adaters etc.

Even the 140 series do have mounting/srew holes on a other location.

Still the best swap, my 2c
I personally never ever would use the electric power steering at my old volvos

good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 17:23   #23
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
You may need to upgrade your alternator and battery as well so check that with them. https://www.dcemotorsport.com/Home/EPAS
Just a follow up detail in case anybody is considering this.

In straight ahead driving the current draw of the EPS unit is milliamps. Aside from simplifying packaging on modern cars, that is one of the attractions of EPS. It is not a continuous load on the engine. As such, a larger alternator is not really a requirement since the continuous load associated with the EPS is minimal.

The EPS probably has its highest current draw when you are turning the wheels when the car is not moving. Presumably, under these circumstances the engine is operating at close to idle speed and I have noticed that the output curves of a lot of high capacity alternators is quite poor at lower engine speeds. So, a higher capacity alternator may net you no improvement in performance of the EPS under the most onerous operating conditions. I still have an original Bosch 35 A alternator on my car and it has not presented a limitation - so far. I actually like the Bosch because at idle it has a higher current capacity than some more modern large alternators.

Because the high current load is more likely to occur at idle / low engine speeds, the EPS is more reliant on the condition of the battery. It is a bit like the starter motor in having short periods of high current draw. I connect my EPS unit directly to the stud on the starter motor through a 60 amp fuse using #6 or #8 wire. On a LHD car the starter is closer / more convenient than the battery + terminal and the starter and EPS are not operating at the same time so they have no mutual affect. The battery I use in my car is a relatively small 51R AGM (common size in older Honda Civics in North America) and so far it has worked just fine. If the battery has the oomph to crank the starter motor smartly then with good electrical connections the EPS should be happy.

Short answer. If your electrical bits are in good condition you probably do not need to engage in any heroic measures to install an EPS.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 02:46   #24
Skylaneguy

"The 240 is a slightly different kettle of fish with the Strut front suspension. Caster is technically not adjustable so perhaps Volvo had alternate lower control arms with less 'designed in' caster to reduce steering effort. I have never driven a 240 without power steering and wasn't aware that they were produced."

The 240 without power steering uses a different ball joint to change the castor.

A Chilean friend converted his 220 to Electric Power Assist Steering using a Saturn Vue EPAS unit and a controller sold by Bruno Lopez Antunes, of Portugal. He is pleased. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4S5kW9xcj8
Skylaneguy is offline   Reply With Quote