Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fed up with Volvo.

Views : 3859

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2020, 19:02   #11
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggo View Post
Eh? I can't remember the last time I had to top up a cars oil level.
Not topped up either of my XC60's either in over 80,000 miles of motoring
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 21:04   #12
Mattlostatsea
S60 2.4D Turbo 56 Plate

Default Thanks Guys for the Info.

Hi. Thanks for the help and assistance....the Manager of my local dealer phoned me at length today (yes on Xmas eve) he has looked through the history of my XC90 and has admitted that there service was not up to scratch. Apparently the car was handed back to me yesterday with all the rear trim missing as the car was not signed off and should never have been handed over. He has offered to have the car for 2 days to run through every inch off the car......however I have decided to trade the car in prob January....
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 06:34   #13
Briggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
A lot of engine use 'excessive' levels of oil which, manufacturers say is 'normal' but, is a due to lesser build tolerances and very thin oils.
Er nope, your engine, if true is borked, unless its an old motor.

It really shouldn't be losing any oil.
Briggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 10:04   #14
100K+
Premier Member

Default ...reminds me of star trek..

The issue the OP has with his top range XC90 reminds me of Scotty's line from Star trek III which I think is very apt...

The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 15:10   #15
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggo View Post
Er nope, your engine, if true is borked, unless its an old motor.

It really shouldn't be losing any oil.
I don't have any oil usage issues with my current fleet, despite fast use and high miles. I have always had issues with all of my BMWs using upto a litre per 1,000 miles.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 10:36   #16
Sotosound
Premier Member

High oil consumption in Volvos is largely restricted to those with VEA 4-cylinder diesel engines that were built before a specific point in 2016.

The affected engines have poorly designed oil control rings that fail to allow engine oil to drain back from the combustion chambers into the sump because the rings’ drain holes are too small and get blocked very easily.

The oil in the combustion chamber then gets burned but (to my imperfect understanding) doesn’t make lots of blue smoke because it’s low ash oil, and also (to my imperfect understanding) any residue gets cleaned up by the DPF.

My wife’s 2015 65-reg V60 D3 Geartronic is, sadly, an example of a Volvo with the problem. It consumes half a litre of oil every 900 miles or so but flew through its MOT last November, including emissions.

Strangely, my 2014 64-reg V70 D4 has a VEA diesel but hardly uses any oil at all. Not sure why it doesn’t but not complaining either!
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 20:22   #17
Mattlostatsea
S60 2.4D Turbo 56 Plate

Default Update on my thread

Hi, The S60 has developed a serious oil leak, my local friendly garage said it’s the rear main oil seal on the engine, he has offered to do this and replace the front antiroll bar with Volvo parts for £800. I think it’s a fair deal....

The XC90 is still not fixed, I honestly think it’s the main dealer that I use, as stated I have lost faith in it. I travel a lot to Italy (well not at the moment COVID) and Although it’s a nice car I’ve just lost faith in it. But....After emails I will give the dealer 1 more chance........I do like the car but it’s just let me down so many times.......
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 23:08   #18
Mattlostatsea
S60 2.4D Turbo 56 Plate

Default Bye Bye XC90 good riddance

Just an update, car has been with MD for 3 days they gave it back, I drove round the corner and the light was still on, it was given back filthy. Had enough....Volvo.....
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 07:22   #19
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlostatsea View Post
This is going to come across as unpopular I know. I have 2 Volvos in my family house. Mine is a 2007 S60 lux automatic diesel..the other family car is a brand new XC90 hybrid...

I have never had so so so many problems with these cars compared to other makes...the XC90 cost nearly £70.000 as it was the top of the range...it’s been back and forward to the dealer about 10 times, today it was handed back with the original fault and to make matters worse the trim had not been put back together. It’s a 12v service light....fed up...

My other S60 has horrendous suspension noises which is over £1500.00 to fix.

Volvo main dealer is a joke...

Fed up, will go and buy a bloody VW
I take your point about VAG cars: I bought a Skoda Superb elegance diesel new in 2013, I still have the car - nothing has gone wrong (touch wood), turn the key and it goes. A bit dull, but the most functional car one could hope for. Skoda dealers are just as bad as the rest though - always trying to get me to do jobs that don't need doing (like telling me the front discs were worn out at 25,000 miles - I measured them myself and they were a long way within tolerance and ran on to 60,000 miles with no problems).

My 1980 Volvo 244 is very reliable though :-)
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 20:56   #20
Mattlostatsea
S60 2.4D Turbo 56 Plate

Default XC90 Gone....Never Again.

Hi it’s gone, fed up with it, very unreliable. Just so many niggles and unresolved faults....it’s a shame because when it worked it was a good car...To many issues, it’s gone to auction....