Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help to all!!!

Views : 7887

Replies : 101

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2021, 12:46   #41
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
You`ve got a lot going on here. Some of the codes aren`t relevant.
But i can see there is a powertrain supply issue indicated. This will cause all kind of weird things so i suggest....
Try and clear down those codes.
Take out the battery and put it on a really good charge.
Whilst the battery`s out clean all the electrical connectors on ECM , MAF , basically all the fuel injection system etc with electrical contact cleaner.
Also inspect and clean the battery main leads and engine earths.

Connect back up and read any codes with ign on only at first.
This will also see what the fuel pump is doing and what the low pressure is like.
Then come back to us.

Others may disagree and have a better suggestion but if that were my car that`s what i would do .
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 14:47   #42
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Volvoboy I think you don't know that my main problem is...The car stop running after a overtake. the car cranks but it doesn't start.

Cant clear the codes...I have to run the car rev to 1500 and off.
My battery is fully charged and my earths are all good.

If I put some brake cleaner the the car kind of start it...I don't see why earths have to do with it. And it happen on a over take so earth contacts just don't go bad like this.

When the car stop the first thing I did was dc the MAF and crank it. even if the MAF goes bad the car will run.

I guess I have power and spark and compression I guess what is missing is fuel.

Because I think after I crank it a few times pedal on the metal I think it should smell a bit of diesel and it doesn't.

I think its fuel related or is not getting it or there is no pressure...like I said I'm still learning VIDA.

I might have to find a way to test the fuel pressure sensor and the low and high fuel pumps.

Last edited by Anubisxc70; Jan 21st, 2021 at 14:52.
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 15:21   #43
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I would test the in tank fuel pump pressure , you need a gauge for this,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 15:45   #44
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
I understand fully what the problem is.
What i don`t know is which of those codes are relevant and which are historical. You forget that you know the car , i don`t. I have to start from the beginning otherwise i might miss the "BLEEDIN` OBVIOUS."

Now i did say TRY and clear the codes. If you can`t ,you can`t - fair enough.
I have an Icarsoft handheld which will clear many of the codes without engine on and i`m lucky enough to have VIDA .

The Battery and earths are good you say. Fair enough. I refer to the first paragraph.

Then you go to say I guess , I guess , I think. Well you carry on guessing my friend and you`ll get nowhere.

Now all that`s out of the way...
When you Ign on do you hear the fuel pump run ? If it does = good.
One of the codes can be caused by a blocked fuel filter so the next thing i`d do ( but you would probably ignore) is change that . Whilst it`s out I`d cycle the fuel pump to see how much fuel comes through. Check that against the tech spec and then i`d know if the pump was good.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 17:08   #45
damageandy

Low fuel pressure - that is 99% going to be the reason it stalled and now wont start.

fuel pump in tank and high pressure - how much fuel in the tank? that is relevant to the in tank pump.

fuel filter - blocked?

fuel pressure sensor

etc
damageandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 17:26   #46
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Half a tank
Fuel filter fitted in November, less than 300 miles.
I will try to take the fuel pipe before the filter and see if on position 2 the pump is sending fuel...and I guess I take it from there...
I already bought another fuel filter...just in case
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 20:12   #47
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Agree with damageandy -- low fuel pressure or no fuel pressure.

Would suspect pump first , pressure sensor and relief solenoid /valve , injectors in that order.

The reason i say filter is maybe **** in pump and also filter or pump is failing and bits in filter.

I spotted DTC-ECM2509 in the list = LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE ;FAULTY ECM , ECM HARNESS OPEN/SHORTED , ECM CIRCUIT POOR CONNECTION.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 22:06   #48
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

not an expert, just wondering, is it possible the fuel filter being so recently replaced makes it more of a likely suspect rather than less likely. was it an OEM one or a cheap one off ebay? if OEM it is possible it was just an unlucky bad one

do they ever break down / gunk up / block the flow if they go wrong

just curious.. If you have another one anyway I guess just swap it out and see if that makes a difference

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 23:37   #49
paddy74

That's a long list; no wonder you didn't want to show it Thanks for reading the codes, and I didn't want to be rude or pushy in my last post, sorry.

Most of the faults, as others stated, are not really relevant as they point into the flat battery direction.

So I start my big question block with the following:
  • Did you try to erase the errors and it didn't work or did you stop at that mesage with "start the engine" message? If the later, try to delete the error codes by turning the ignition to pos 2 and don't start. Start your usual process for VIDA and faults and when you get to the message, just click ok. That should clear a few messages. That doesn't include control modules that only run or give values when the engine is running, but it should clear the codes where a signal was missing because of the battery. Just try it, you can't do any harm to your car by using VIDA. As long as you don't put 220V into the OBD socket, you should be good to go
  • Did you check the fuel related sensors with VIDA? If not, and you don't know how or where, please say so. If you know how, do it and check the measured values against the ones in VIDA.
  • as others said, does the fuel pump run when you turn your ignition to pos 2?
  • I don't think it's battery related any more (you said you charged it fully, right?), but it can't hurt, just if you're already in the area to check for loose or broken ground cables. Don't had that on my Volvos, but it is a very, very common problem with old Harleys. Check them as well for corrosion. But as I said, just when you're there.
As others and you I suspect something with the fuel as well. I'd start with the obvious points like listening for the pump, check the fuel filter, look for leaks...

Unfortunately this doesn't seem something obvious, it can be something inside the tank (that got loose while you where overtaking and now is clogged) as well as something down the line over the fuel filter to the fuel lines in the engine compartment... You will have to work your way through.
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 13:54   #50
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Hello and Thank you for your comments.
The fuel filter is from Bosh, those are the ones I usually use that or MAN. Its on the way a Bosh one.
This morning I checked the fuel pump fuse and it was ok I can hear the fuel pump. And the relay also clicks.

I didn't erase the codes. I will try.
I don't know how to check the fuel pressures on Vida ( i only got Vida a couple weeks ago so its still very green on me)

There isn't any leaks, its one of things that make me believe is fuel related because after all this cranking etc etc it doesn't smell diesel it should but nothing. so now i will change the fuel filter when it arrives.

I will only be able to do it Monday cause I will be working on the weekend.

Many Thanks to all.
Have a good weekend and be safe

Last edited by Anubisxc70; Jan 22nd, 2021 at 13:57.