Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fed up with Volvo.

Views : 3860

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 22:09   #1
Mattlostatsea
S60 2.4D Turbo 56 Plate

Default Fed up with Volvo.

This is going to come across as unpopular I know. I have 2 Volvos in my family house. Mine is a 2007 S60 lux automatic diesel..the other family car is a brand new XC90 hybrid...

I have never had so so so many problems with these cars compared to other makes...the XC90 cost nearly £70.000 as it was the top of the range...it’s been back and forward to the dealer about 10 times, today it was handed back with the original fault and to make matters worse the trim had not been put back together. It’s a 12v service light....fed up...

My other S60 has horrendous suspension noises which is over £1500.00 to fix.

Volvo main dealer is a joke...

Fed up, will go and buy a bloody VW
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 22:52   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

Sorry to hear of your problems.On the other side of the coin my year 2000 V70 has been ultra reliable over the four and a half years or so I've had it and my 960[owned for a year and a half] while it has a couple of issues[it's a 25 yr old car after all]but nothing major.You can get good and bad examples of any car you care to mention.I understand your exasperation at the Volvos you have,good luck with whatever you choose to replace them with.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 06:12   #3
green van man
Premier Member

Change your dealer, the cars may be dogs but a competent dealer should be able to sort the problems.
Having spent more on a car than some spend on a house I would be pretty annoyed if they could not do a competent job of repairing it and even more annoyed that it needed repair.

Don't think VW is the answer though.

Paul.
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 06:40   #4
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlostatsea View Post
This is going to come across as unpopular I know. I have 2 Volvos in my family house. Mine is a 2007 S60 lux automatic diesel..the other family car is a brand new XC90 hybrid...

I have never had so so so many problems with these cars compared to other makes...the XC90 cost nearly £70.000 as it was the top of the range...it’s been back and forward to the dealer about 10 times, today it was handed back with the original fault and to make matters worse the trim had not been put back together. It’s a 12v service light....fed up...

My other S60 has horrendous suspension noises which is over £1500.00 to fix.

Volvo main dealer is a joke...

Fed up, will go and buy a bloody VW
I swore off when they eliminated the oil dipstick. Buy a Toyota/Lexus.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 08:03   #5
DSK
C70 T5

No surprise about the new XC90, new Volvo's do not hold a good reputation with long term reputable Volvo dealer and independent mechanics (with whom I actually spend time in the workshops with). I'd hand back and get a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. As for main dealer, 99% of them are a total joke regardless of marque.

If its just suspension noises on the S60, you need to find out what the cause is. Parts are generally cheap and a reputable non franchised garage would lower the costs in labour. To put it into perspective, I like to overhaul the entire suspension system on any car by around 80-100,000 miles and here's how the costs stacked up for upgraded overhauls on mine;

Bilstein B6, H&R springs, Lemforder top mounts all round, drop links, wishbones and labour £1100

Bilstein 4, Eibach springs, Lemforder top mounts all round, drop links, wishbones and labour £950

For me, the best cars I have had and still own are my old 1998/2000 70' series Volvos.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 08:10   #6
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
I swore off when they eliminated the oil dipstick. Buy a Toyota/Lexus.
I know some cars have had it replaced with a digital version but, I do not trust them. Most people don't even check the engine oil with either the onboard or dipstick method. With modern engines using oil at vast rates (1ltr per 500-1,000 miles is NOT acceptable regardless of what the manufacturers say), is a sure fire way to extracting cash from customers for major engine repairs and replacements.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 08:16   #7
Briggo

Quote:
With modern engines using oil at vast rates (1ltr per 500-1,000 miles is NOT acceptable regardless of what the manufacturers say),
Eh? I can't remember the last time I had to top up a cars oil level.
Briggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Briggo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 10:23   #8
Adrian888

That level of oil consumption indicates a serious problem and must be noticeable at the tail pipe and nostrils. Am not sure even the Mazda RX8 rotary engine consumes that much. However if the new XC90 has problems simply write a rejection letter to the dealer principle and copy to Volvo UK.... i did that with my faulty used V60 and finally got it sorted.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adrian888 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 11:30   #9
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggo View Post
Eh? I can't remember the last time I had to top up a cars oil level.
A lot of engine use 'excessive' levels of oil which, manufacturers say is 'normal' but, is a due to lesser build tolerances and very thin oils.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 11:38   #10
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
That level of oil consumption indicates a serious problem and must be noticeable at the tail pipe and nostrils. Am not sure even the Mazda RX8 rotary engine consumes that much. However if the new XC90 has problems simply write a rejection letter to the dealer principle and copy to Volvo UK.... i did that with my faulty used V60 and finally got it sorted.
They will come back and fob you off (as they all do). You may get away with the backing of trading standards etc who will know the consumer rights act and give it to you in black and white terms but, I think it will require more fire power.

Its likely you will have to use the force of a solicitor and an independent motor/mechanical engineering engineer to prove that the problems are due to a crap/poor build design (if that's what is at fault). Only then will you have your way. I've done it with BMW (settling for a new engine as my preferred option) and 2 years ago my uncle did the same with a new Range Rover that spent more time at the dealer than it did on the road. He had all legal costs and additional compensation.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000