Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problems getting a part from Volvo

Views : 1268

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2021, 15:44   #1
StAndrews
Ian

Default Problems getting a part from Volvo

Hello
Since October, I have had an exhaust muffler (part number 31261683) on order from Volvo via my local dealer having been told that there is no after market alternative. I own a 2008 S40 SE Sport RDesign T5 but believe that the part is not unique to my model.
On four occasions I have been given a delivery date each of which has been missed. I contacted Volvo customer services who have not been able to provide me with any help in securing delivery of this part in fact they are now saying that there is no expected delivery date. They also tell me that there is no possibility of escalating this within Volvo. My dealer has also been unable to successfully expedite this with Volvo.
A trawl of the internet shows that the only place this part is "available" is USA, I am reluctant to order this part from unknown to me sources, especially when Volvo were giving me delivery dates.
I have two questions which hopefully can be answered:
a) Are other members having issues in obtaining parts?
b) Are there any UK sources for this part that I am unaware of?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I am reaching the end of my tether with this situation.
Thanks, Ian
StAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 15:59   #2
Aveton Gifford
VOC Member

Thats the rear silencer with the twin tail pipes isn't it? There must be a supplier issue with them. They are available from other sources, heres one from Stanwix

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...encer/1038545/

With everything that is going on in the UK and the rest of the world at the moment, some suppliers are having trouble keeping up with demand when it comes to parts.

2005 MY C70 2.0T MANUAL

2007 MY XC70 D5 AUTO
Aveton Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 16:21   #3
StAndrews
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveton Gifford View Post
Thats the rear silencer with the twin tail pipes isn't it? There must be a supplier issue with them. They are available from other sources, heres one from Stanwix

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...encer/1038545/

With everything that is going on in the UK and the rest of the world at the moment, some suppliers are having trouble keeping up with demand when it comes to parts.
Thanks Volvo Valeter, I notice in the delivery rates section that for UK delivery you have to contact the sales team to get information about their services, that will be as a result of Brexit. I'll think about it. Ian
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 16:49   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Without wishing to start a debate, parts from Europe may also be subject to delays at the moment, an order I have with PFV has been delayed as one part was stuck at the docks coming from Sweden.
I don’t recall their name but there was a company near me that built exhausts from scratch (primarily for performance I think), could someone like that custom make one?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 16:55   #5
StAndrews
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Without wishing to start a debate, parts from Europe may also be subject to delays at the moment, an order I have with PFV has been delayed as one part was stuck at the docks coming from Sweden.
I don’t recall their name but there was a company near me that built exhausts from scratch (primarily for performance I think), could someone like that custom make one?
Thanks David, I am not really interested in performance improvement, I just want a working exhaust. I don't know of any such company near me who could make the required muffler. Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to StAndrews For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 17:09   #6
Thekilt

Search for the focus ST muffler. It’s a Ford part anyway so might have better stock with Ford? Just a thought.
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 17:20   #7
StAndrews
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
Search for the focus ST muffler. It’s a Ford part anyway so might have better stock with Ford? Just a thought.
Thanks The Kilt, I'll maybe speak to my local Ford dealer. Ian
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 19:51   #8
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrews View Post
Thanks David, I am not really interested in performance improvement, I just want a working exhaust. I don't know of any such company near me who could make the required muffler. Ian
Sorry I was posting from my phone earlier so a bit limited with searching and typing. With a search from my laptop it seems the company I was thinking of are not where they used to be and as I don't recall the name I don't know if they've just moved or closed down so I can't link to them. I used to deliver lengths of steel pipe to them which is how I knew of them and had several chats with them, whilst the obvious use of their services was the lads wanting bigger pipes for performance cars they quite often had older cars (even a vintage one as I recall) in for 'custom' exhausts as they were no longer available off the shelf, or ordinary cars for stainless exhausts rather where only mild steel was available stock.

But if Thekilt is right about the ST muffler that would seem a good way to go that may even be available via a local exhaust fitter, I did in the past own a VW Passat which was fitted with what was listed as an Audi exhaust, no idea why possibly just what original/previous fitter put his hand on first.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 22:23   #9
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrews View Post
The exhaust system went on my V50, Volvo quoted me £500 for the system without fitting or mounting brackets if they were required etc. I had a complete stainless system built and fitted with all the mounts etc for £290. I’d get it quoted for a stainless system, you might well be surprised

TT
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 22:57   #10
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
The exhaust system went on my V50, Volvo quoted me £500 for the system without fitting or mounting brackets if they were required etc. I had a complete stainless system built and fitted with all the mounts etc for £290. I’d get it quoted for a stainless system, you might well be surprised

TT
Jetex do a nice stainless jobby... https://jetex.co.uk/product/volvo-s4...4-half-system/
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post: