Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RICA remap on a D5

Views : 11338

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2013, 11:04   #1
KevWak

Talking RICA remap on a D5

I've also put this thread in the performance section but thought I might get a few more replies here...

Hi all,

Please let's not turn this into a slagging match about how shark/mte/polestar are better etc.

I have done my research and decided on RICA for my D5. The question is 253bhp and 548NM from the sports tune or 240bhp and 480NM from the stage 2. There is only £60 price difference.

Does anyone have experience of either of these maps on a D5? Is the performance gain worth the potential extra wear and tear (DMF etc).

I do a 400 mile trip every few weeks and mainly travel M-ways and fast A roads. Some decent overtaking capability is required along with a general mpg increase for steady driving.

Thanks in advance

Kev
KevWak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 12:22   #2
nomorework

Can they show you printouts for each map?

I's say £60 for extra torque is worth it but I'd want to look at the plots first. Some maps can be peaky, you feel a major surge at one point in the rev range but nothing much elsewhere.

Ideally you want a map that gives you lots of torque in the rev range you normally drive in.

A map with a lower max power/torque figure can make the car quicker than a map with higher figures if the torque extends longer.

So my advice is get some printouts then decide!
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 12:44   #3
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Stage 1 = standard OEM equipment and a remap applied

Stage 2 = upgraded equipment and remap to suit (e.g 3" exhaust, intercooler, etc...)

Stage 3 = even more mods and remap to suit

basic overview.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 12:59   #4
KevWak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Stage 1 = standard OEM equipment and a remap applied

Stage 2 = upgraded equipment and remap to suit (e.g 3" exhaust, intercooler, etc...)

Stage 3 = even more mods and remap to suit

basic overview.

From their website, I didn't think it was this involved. Thought they were all just different levels of map. So much for my "research"!
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 13:02   #5
KevWak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorework View Post
Can they show you printouts for each map?

I's say £60 for extra torque is worth it but I'd want to look at the plots first. Some maps can be peaky, you feel a major surge at one point in the rev range but nothing much elsewhere.

Ideally you want a map that gives you lots of torque in the rev range you normally drive in.

A map with a lower max power/torque figure can make the car quicker than a map with higher figures if the torque extends longer.

So my advice is get some printouts then decide!
The graphs are here...
http://www.ricatuning.co.uk/content.jsp?pname=tuning

EDIT: sorry you have to select Volvo: V50: D5 180bhp to see the maps/graphs

Last edited by KevWak; Oct 12th, 2013 at 13:06.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 16:23   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

If you click on your link then click on the 'Products' tab along the top and select 'RICA ECU Upgrades' from the drop down menu, now click on Stage 2 + 3 and read the description there.

You will see from the information for stage 2 + 3 that it is dependent on modifications.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 19:08   #7
KevWak

Quote:
If you click on your link then click on the 'Products' tab along the top and select 'RICA ECU Upgrades' from the drop down menu, now click on Stage 2 + 3 and read the description there.

You will see from the information for stage 2 + 3 that it is dependent on modifications.

Ah well that poo poos that idea! Cost a fortune for those mods! I did think rica was miles ahead with its bhp and torque values. Didn't really think why!
Now this opens the gates for shark and mte now!
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 08:38   #8
TiredGeek
Master Member

Quote:

Not sure where you're looking but I'm not seeing that!
I'm reading it as just maps and that the full sport needs setting up on a RR, no mention of mods being required....

http://www.rica-uk.com/chiptuning.php
As before, select V50 from the menu.

I've been in a few V70 D5 with the 226 and 240 tunes and they both drive MUCH nicer than stock, the torque comes in at the same point but just more of it.
AFAIK, if you pay for the highest tune all the lower ones are included for free? They'll also let you upgrade from a lower tune for just the difference in price.

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 08:43   #9
KevWak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
I'm reading it as just maps and that the full sport needs setting up on a RR, no mention of mods being required....

http://www.rica-uk.com/chiptuning.php
As before, select V50 from the menu.

I've been in a few V70 D5 with the 226 and 240 tunes and they both drive MUCH nicer than stock, the torque comes in at the same point but just more of it.
AFAIK, if you pay for the highest tune all the lower ones are included for free? They'll also let you upgrade from a lower tune for just the difference in price.
Think I'll just have to give them a ring and see what the deal is.
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 09:13   #10
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
If you follow my instructions to get to the information then you will read what is required.

Quote from the linked website by KevWak:

Quote:
If you want more performance than what is available with just a RICA ECM upgrade, then you must look at hardware modifications. To get the most from any hardware upgrades requires a custom ECM upgrade. For common hardware upgrades, custom ECM software is normally available as ready made "off-the-shelf" remaps, which are often known as Stage 2 or Stage 3 remaps depending on the level of hardware modification.

The most common hardware upgrade is the exhaust system such as a larger bore race-cat downpipe which reduces back pressure for improved turbo exhaust gas flow and faster spool-up. This is often referred to as Stage 2.

For even more power, you need to upgrade components such as the turbocharger, intercooler etc. These are often referred to as Stage 3 upgrades and will often require a completely customised ECM upgrade.

Stage 2

- Large bore high-flow race cat downpipe
- Optional cat-back exhaust
- Reduced back pressure
- Improved turbo response
- Increase in power and torque

Stage 3

- Turbocharger upgrade
- Intercooler upgrade
- Exhaust manifold upgrade
- Extra power and torque
- Custom tuning required