Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc70 electrical gremlins

Views : 2495

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2018, 00:58   #1
Nicklaus

Default Xc70 electrical gremlins

Hello,
New to this forum; I'm in need of help.
XC70 2.5 petrol '06. Used key fob to open up, door buttons popped up but not able to actually open front doors (rear was ok).
Mirrors wouldn't fold out
AC fan not working
Front and rear windows not working
Went to local ind. Volvo guys who plugged in their diagnostic friend. Apparently , it's a module located on the bulkhead. Wiper will need to come off (possibly may need to be cut off) and module replaced often to to water ingress.
Quoted approx £1000 for module.... Gulp!
All these non-functioning items appear to be on different circuits.
Anyone able to shed any light?
I'm in mourning....
Nicklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 13:38   #2
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

It sounds like they are suggesting its the CEM that's got wet.
suffered water ingress on my XC70 2005 and the water was actually dripping out of the bottom of it, and a lot more problems than you are describing.

you don't need to cut the wiper assembly to get it out but it is a bit of a bugger to do.

have a look at this video it gives you a detailed guide to removing the CEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8UozG9qLvM

if you are handy with the tools its some thing you can do yourself, I did mine and after cleaning and drying everything out it worked without a problem.

if you do need more work to get it sorted I would talk to Lukasz at volvo diagnostic https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143579
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 00:19   #3
Nicklaus

Default Thanks

Bob,
Thank you very much for that. I will study the vid again and try to repair. If I can’t dry it out as you did, possibility of using second hand unit? Or not worth it? Would it need re-programming ?
Nick
Nicklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 11:01   #4
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

You cant use a second hand unit as each is programmed to the car and all the other ECU's within it.

if you can't sort it yourself contact Volvo diagnostic
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote