Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trip Computer/multi-function display

Views : 983

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2019, 16:57   #1
D6Stevie

Default Trip Computer/multi-function display

Just got a nice wee c30 R~Design... albeit it’s only the 1.6D Sport but it’s tidy, LOW miles and been well looked after.
It does not have the trip computer/multifunction display thing that gives ave speed etc.
Is it a serious chore to retrofit this new ecu etc etc or gas it been done?
D6Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 19:42   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D6Stevie View Post
Just got a nice wee c30 R~Design... albeit it’s only the 1.6D Sport but it’s tidy, LOW miles and been well looked after.
It does not have the trip computer/multifunction display thing that gives ave speed etc.
Is it a serious chore to retrofit this new ecu etc etc or gas it been done?
yes it is an accessory from volvo, if you already have the rotating drum on the left hand stalk all you need is the software upgrade from volvo to activate it ... if you do not have the rotating drum you will need the stalk with one which is about £50 extra .
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 15:47   #3
TheFiend
C30 R-Design

It's something only a Volvo dealer can dealer enable..... it needs a software package downloaded to enable the functionality. I had it enabled on mine when I acquired my current C30.
TheFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:48   #4
iainmd

Beware though, it's not cheap. Hundreds of pounds for pretty limited functionality. MPG (instantaneous & average), Average Speed, Miles to empty tank. That's it really. I only ever use miles to empty and to be honest I kinda know how many miles range I have left based on the fuel gauge.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 13:53   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Beware though, it's not cheap. Hundreds of pounds for pretty limited functionality. MPG (instantaneous & average), Average Speed, Miles to empty tank. That's it really. I only ever use miles to empty and to be honest I kinda know how many miles range I have left based on the fuel gauge.
The fuel gauge itself is the only way to accurately determine how much fuel is left in the tank , the "miles to empty" can vary wildly , not because it is inaccurate but because different driving conditions can suddenly make it drop like a stone , and it gets more unreliable the lower the tank level is ..
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 11:34   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The fuel gauge itself is the only way to accurately determine how much fuel is left in the tank , the "miles to empty" can vary wildly , not because it is inaccurate but because different driving conditions can suddenly make it drop like a stone , and it gets more unreliable the lower the tank level is ..
+1 to above, its all electronic algorithms trying to estimate whats going on based on various factors. Sometimes it can be pretty accurate, sometimes not. Even average/current consumption can vary because car calculates stuff based on injector timings, MAF readouts etc etc, but if you compare it to actual fuel put into tank vs driven miles it will usually be different than what you have on trip computer.

On my car (not sure about other engines) even fuel gauge is not so straightforward as it uses info from sender+calculations from CEM to estimate the amount of fuel, sometimes I observe needle to "adjust itself" in real time a bit when idling in traffic. Where are times of good old floaters like in toilet cisterns?... :P
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 13:04   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
+1 to above, its all electronic algorithms trying to estimate whats going on based on various factors. Sometimes it can be pretty accurate, sometimes not. Even average/current consumption can vary because car calculates stuff based on injector timings, MAF readouts etc etc, but if you compare it to actual fuel put into tank vs driven miles it will usually be different than what you have on trip computer.

On my car (not sure about other engines) even fuel gauge is not so straightforward as it uses info from sender+calculations from CEM to estimate the amount of fuel, sometimes I observe needle to "adjust itself" in real time a bit when idling in traffic. Where are times of good old floaters like in toilet cisterns?... :P
They still have floats but the tanks are all shallow and wide , so the first gallon or so results in a very small drop in the level .
The first model where they manipulated the needle was the S/V40 from 1996 . after it had estimated you had used a gallon it would artificially lower the needle , Otherwise it would not move during the first 100 miles ... After that first gallon it would revert to using the float , I wouldn't be surprised if this was still the case with the new models .
One thing for sure though on ALL volvos is that the gauge is very accurate where it needs to be that is at the E end !
They do not run out until the needle is just past the Lower mark on the gauge .