Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Driver Bonding

Views : 616

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2016, 07:54   #1
Jabbslad

Default XC90 Driver Bonding

I was driving in rural Hertfordshire over the weekend and had just pulled up at a T-junction, I saw a set of the distinctive Thor's hammer headlights coming along the major road and pointed it out to the wife. She doesn't really give a **** but I always do it. The other xc90 slowed to a crawl then indicated late to turn into the minor road, just as I was cursing the driver and about to pull away, he gesticulated as if he needed assistance and wound his window down. I wound mine down too, expecting him to ask for directions, but he shouted "love it mate" then stuck his hand out the window waiting for a "hi-5", I was gobsmacked but couldn't leave him hanging so we slapped hands before we both drove off with a grins like a Cheshire cats.

Me and the Mrs looked at each other, she raised her eyebrows and gave me one of her disapproving looks that she always give me when I do something immature. I didn't care, however, as I was content in the knowledge that our purchase had just been given another's seal of approval.

From time to time I have had the odd head nod and a few hand acknowledgements but this was a first on me! What do you guys do when you see a fellow XC90 owner?
Jabbslad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jabbslad For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 08:09   #2
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbslad View Post
I was driving in rural Hertfordshire over the weekend and had just pulled up at a T-junction, I saw a set of the distinctive Thor's hammer headlights coming along the major road and pointed it out to the wife. She doesn't really give a **** but I always do it. The other xc90 slowed to a crawl then indicated late to turn into the minor road, just as I was cursing the driver and about to pull away, he gesticulated as if he needed assistance and wound his window down. I wound mine down too, expecting him to ask for directions, but he shouted "love it mate" then stuck his hand out the window waiting for a "hi-5", I was gobsmacked but couldn't leave him hanging so we slapped hands before we both drove off with a grins like a Cheshire cats.

Me and the Mrs looked at each other, she raised her eyebrows and gave me one of her disapproving looks that she always give me when I do something immature. I didn't care, however, as I was content in the knowledge that our purchase had just been given another's seal of approval.

From time to time I have had the odd head nod and a few hand acknowledgements but this was a first on me! What do you guys do when you see a fellow XC90 owner?
Like it, my wife gives me the same with anything to do with cars. Makes you feel like you need therapy. There are a couple of XC90 around my area and they are driven by ladies who show absolutely no emotion when I pass them, they are probably not sure what I am leering at.

Last edited by neon; Nov 15th, 2016 at 08:13.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 08:12   #3
Konst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbslad View Post
What do you guys do when you see a fellow XC90 owner?
to be honest, nothing.
The XC90 is a good car but not enough particular to feel the other XC owners like fellows .
MY17 XC90 D5 Inscription 7 seats, Electric silver/charcoal, 21"wheels,Walnut,leather dash,Luxury pack ventilated+massage, 4 zone clim pack,Xenium Pack, VOC+modem, sunroof, Winter pro Pack Auxiliary Fuel Heater+HUD,Business+ pack with B&W +DAB
Konst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 08:28   #4
Jabbslad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konst View Post
to be honest, nothing.
The XC90 is a good car but not enough particular to feel the other XC owners like fellows .
I personally haven't initiated the acknowledgements as I am usually quite reserved but I can see why some people do and I always reciprocate when they do. I can drive for hundreds of miles and never see another XC90 whereas during that same journey I'd see loads of X5s, Q7s etc.

I think as the new style becomes more common it will stop happening but at the minute it almost feels like you are part of a select club that has decided not to follow the rest of a herd!

Last edited by Jabbslad; Nov 15th, 2016 at 08:31.
Jabbslad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 08:47   #5
tankplanker

I find that all cars I own now catch my eye when I see the same model driving around.

I do not find that I get much attention in the XC90, but then that was one of the reasons why I bought it. I already get far too much attention when I'm driving my Indy on the road. I can go to the petrol station with it and I get a queue of people asking me about it. I can even be on my drive with it and people will stop and ask questions.

I'm glad that the XC90 is a bit more anonymous as some cars attract far too much negative attention as well.
MY17 Volvo XC90 D5 Inscription in Bright Silver with Blond Nappa leather, laminated and tinted side glass, sunroof, power cushions and folding headrests, winter and seven seat comfort packs, heated rear seats, retractable tow bar
tankplanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 09:01   #6
Konst

I can't agree more. For me, one of the main reasons to buy the XC90 was it doesn't attract much attention. I myself barely recognize one on the road, and there are plenty of XC90 around here.
Having owned porsche's and mercedes, I find it relaxing .
MY17 XC90 D5 Inscription 7 seats, Electric silver/charcoal, 21"wheels,Walnut,leather dash,Luxury pack ventilated+massage, 4 zone clim pack,Xenium Pack, VOC+modem, sunroof, Winter pro Pack Auxiliary Fuel Heater+HUD,Business+ pack with B&W +DAB
Konst is offline   Reply With Quote