Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just ordered xc90 inscription

Views : 2620

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2016, 06:25   #11
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTRB5 View Post
My dealer had he inscription with 20" alloys when I test drove it
Great, your one of the first that I have seen that had this.
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 06:27   #12
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTRB5 View Post
Congrats - you'll love it

I'd wait and see what it's like for yourself first .. I don't find the road noise as much of an issue and love my car!
Great that you have a quiet car or do not mind the noise. I love my car too and that is why I would probably compromise and put the 19" wheels on if I really have to in the summer as well as winter. I am not going to stay silent though and cover up any areas that are not as they should be on the car as it is a very expensive car and I would like to receive what I have paid for. The car has some issues and one of those areas it should deliver on is a luxury SUV that sounds like a luxury SUV on the road and mine does not for some reason. The comment about a transit van with a luxury interior sounds a bit extreme but I can understand that comment as far as noise goes only.

Last edited by neon; Nov 11th, 2016 at 06:41.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 07:55   #13
Razer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I hope you get your car delivered and registered before the new road tax rules come in on the 1st April, push your dealer on this.
your car will have PA2.
20" Wheels with continental tyres will be noisy as will the rear doors, noise from gaps where window blinds are fitted.
The XC90 is in my mind the most versatile practical car on the market with a nice smooth quiet and powerful engine for its size, but it is let down by the road noise, I expected a much quieter car at this price (as in road noise as D5 engine is quiet), if you can live with that you will love your new car.
The statement saying it WILL be noisy is a very bold statement and misleading. Sorry but it is. As discussed in the other thread what is one persons noisy is another persons quiet etc. Let the op decide for himself what is acceptable, plus he has driven the spec he ordered and didn't hear any issues
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 08:44   #14
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post
The statement saying it WILL be noisy is a very bold statement and misleading. Sorry but it is. As discussed in the other thread what is one persons noisy is another persons quiet etc. Let the op decide for himself what is acceptable, plus he has driven the spec he ordered and didn't hear any issues
I thought he had driven a Momentum which has 19" wheels as standard and a R Design with 21" wheels. That is why I suggested getting into a inscription with 20" wheels asap to try, but it needs to be more than just a test drive down the road. I do not really get how something that is noisy to one person can be quiet to another person, but there it is. Do you actually have an Inscription with 20" wheels that you are living with day in day out to be able to suggest it is not noisy?

Last edited by neon; Nov 11th, 2016 at 08:50.
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 09:10   #15
Razer

My car is due at the end of December. I drove a momentum and inscription on 20" Wheels and my first comment was how they were both quieter than my xc60 on the same roads. I am obviously hoping my own will be the same.
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 09:12   #16
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
My car is due at the end of December. I drove a momentum and inscription on 20" Wheels and my first comment was how they were both quieter than my xc60 on the same roads.
Did you order the Momentum with 19" wheels.

I had a XC60 loaner the other day with 18" wheels, the engine was noisier and the interior was not a patch on the XC90 and there were rattles, but the car was quieter on the road than mine. The level of engine and wind noise in my XC90 I find impressive along with many other things in the car. The problem is that road noise is a pretty significant part of the driving experience and is not easy to ignore. As mentioned before on the newer perfect surfaces it is super quiet with the low engine and wind noise as well and feels like a luxury SUV. Suppose I could do what the salesman suggested in passing and turn the sound system up, or was that for the rattles, I cannot recall exactly.

Last edited by neon; Nov 11th, 2016 at 09:28.
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 09:34   #17
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Take your head out of the sand, what a silly statement "one mans noise is another mans quiet" and you are misquoting me, I said "20" wheels with contintal tyres will be noisy" and noise from gap in rear door cards gap where sun blinds are fitted (both issues well documented on here by plenty of disappointed XC90 owners) and I also said it has a nice smooth quiet engine and the most versatile car on the market, and I did say if he can put up with the road noise issue he will love the car.
I own a 2017 MY XC90 inscription with 20" wheels on Continental tyres and fitted rear sun blinds and speak from my experience with this car and from the many other owners who are experiencing the same issues.

P.S please see posting below re Volvo accepting this issue and replacing tyres. I have mentioned this to the origjnal poster.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 11th, 2016 at 10:55.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 09:45   #18
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Take your head out of the sand, what a silly statement "one mans noise is another mans quiet" the XC90 does have bad road noise on 20" wheels and continental tyres, and I did say if he can put up with that issue he will love the car.
I will put this on the road noise thread, my dealer has just phoned me and said that Volvo know there is a problem and they are sending me 4 new tyres from Sweden that will be here early next week and this is being paid for by Volvo. I am assuming this is the Contisilent ones which they only do in summer version. I hope it is not the Pirelli all season ones as I have invested in winter tyres now. I will delay putting on my 19" winter tyres until I can check out the improvement. Great to see some support from Volvo directly.

You may want to follow this up for yourself nu11eaf and anyone else in the same position.

Last edited by neon; Nov 11th, 2016 at 10:03.
The Following User Says Thank You to neon For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 10:19   #19
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
I will put this on the road noise thread, my dealer has just phoned me and said that Volvo know there is a problem and they are sending me 4 new tyres from Sweden that will be here early next week and this is being paid for by Volvo. I am assuming this is the Contisilent ones which they only do in summer version. I hope it is not the Pirelli all season ones as I have invested in winter tyres now. I will delay putting on my 19" winter tyres until I can check out the improvement. Great to see some support from Volvo directly.

You may want to follow this up for yourself nu11eaf and anyone else in the same position.
Thank you for this, my dealer did say this was in the pipeline and he would get back to me when Volvo sorted out the tyres which were still being developed by Continental at the times but I will chase it up again. Thanks again for this info, lets hope the op guy who has ordered a new XC9 has the new tyres fitted on delivery so he and others do not have the disappointment we had. I am sure once this issue is resolved we will be much happier with our cars. Even love driving them. I also hope those who are in denial on this issue now realise there is an issue after Volvo have accepted there is.
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 10:51   #20
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggers View Post
Thanks - I too hope it's before 1st April as only found out about the new tax system earlier this week
Originally Posted by*neon*

I will put this on the road noise thread, my dealer has just phoned me and said that Volvo know there is a problem and they are sending me 4 new tyres from Sweden that will be here early next week and this is being paid for by Volvo. I am assuming this is the Contisilent ones which they only do in summer version.

Your car may get delivered with the new tyres as above, so you may not have the tyre noise we have experienced, worth asking your dealer to check this out for you, I am sure you will love your car if this is the case. And fingers crossed that you get the car before April.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 11th, 2016 at 10:58.