Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 Charging Question

Views : 1288

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2016, 14:54   #1
allycat

Question T8 Charging Question

I have just taken delivery of a new T8 Hybrid XC90 and wondered if someone can clear up a charging question for me. I am planning on getting a charging point installed at home with a tethered cable so it is easy to just drive in, connect and forget.

I know that the max current the XC90 will charge on is 16A, but I have the option of putting in a 16A or 32A charging point. I am thinking ahead in case I change in the future to a 32A capable vehicle which I will want to charge at home. The installer is telling me that I can use either since the car will only draw 16A even if 32A is available, but i was hoping someone here can confirm that view for me. I want to make sure I won't damage my new magic blue baby !

thanks for your views
allycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 15:12   #2
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allycat View Post
I have just taken delivery of a new T8 Hybrid XC90 and wondered if someone can clear up a charging question for me. I am planning on getting a charging point installed at home with a tethered cable so it is easy to just drive in, connect and forget.

I know that the max current the XC90 will charge on is 16A, but I have the option of putting in a 16A or 32A charging point. I am thinking ahead in case I change in the future to a 32A capable vehicle which I will want to charge at home. The installer is telling me that I can use either since the car will only draw 16A even if 32A is available, but i was hoping someone here can confirm that view for me. I want to make sure I won't damage my new magic blue baby !

thanks for your views
The POD point is available in various capacities, as you rightly point out. There was a 3.7kw one (16amp), then 7kw (32amp), 11kw and I think 22kw.

My understanding is that a bigger one will be more expensive, and will have an element of future proofing, but will be fine to charge a car like the T8. it won't damage it, it just wont charge any faster.

BUT - I would save your money. The car comes with a charger and lead in the boot which will charge almost as fast as it will on the POD point. The POD point will do a full charge in about 2.5 hours the lead in the boot will do it in about 3.5 hours. And the lead in the boot only needs a standard 3 pin 13a plug. Just spend a tenner on a couple of hooks to tidy up the cable and the charging box and you are good to go.

And the charging tech will advance like anything else so who knows if your uprated charger will be compatible with a future purchase.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 15:56   #3
allycat

Thanks Philip, I have the car already and am charging it using the included cable already through an extension lead which is not a long term solution as it has to be unwound to prevent overheating. The included cable is pretty short also, not even the full length of the car, which is restrictive and the price of a longer 13A plugged cable and control unit is more than a proper installed 16A charger !

Unfortunately I don't have room to park the beast in our garage and I don't already have an external power supply near the drive so do need something putting in externally and so I might as well put the proper kit in, especially as work will pay for it ! I do charge it at work most of the time so it's on the company bill, but do need the ability to charge at home also.
allycat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allycat For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 22:16   #4
shortword

I put a 32a charger at home and 2 x 32a chargers in work for good measure. The 'granny' cable that you got is fine, but I'd have thought it'd take longer than 3.5h to charge at 10a tbh. But then again maybe not.

The car will only draw what it needs so you won't be able to damage it.

Paul

Tags
16a, 32a, charging, xc90