Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 Owners Battery Charging

Views : 987

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2018, 11:07   #1
MaDProFF
Master Member

Default T8 Owners Battery Charging

It appears BMW have had to send a letter to all of their Hybrid owners.

To sum up the letter:-

"Warning them that the hybrid batteries in the cars will not be covered under warranty unless they are charged, and discharged on a regular basis."

So I guess all those Hybrid Cars sold as company cars, because of the tax breaks I guess, who just drive them permanently on a discharged battery are causing them to fail, or potentially fail before their warranty runs out.

Wonder if Volvo will take up the same policy, though I do guess far less are sold as company cars then the BMW 330E
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 11:38   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
It appears BMW have had to send a letter to all of their Hybrid owners.

To sum up the letter:-

"Warning them that the hybrid batteries in the cars will not be covered under warranty unless they are charged, and discharged on a regular basis."

So I guess all those Hybrid Cars sold as company cars, because of the tax breaks I guess, who just drive them permanently on a discharged battery are causing them to fail, or potentially fail before their warranty runs out.

Wonder if Volvo will take up the same policy, though I do guess far less are sold as company cars then the BMW 330E
The batteries are warranted for 8 years , Volvo already built in battery protection from the word go in 2012 with the C30 Electric .
The batteries will always stay in the 10% to 90% charged range, despite the gauge on the dash saying empty or full . They even say that if the car is laid up for a length of time to make sure it is put away with the batteries 25% charged .
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 17:48   #3
Soltan

Not sure it makes a difference but even when you drive in Hybrid mode it will charge the battery a few percent. Not sure what happens when you put it in Power...
MY17 XC90 T8 Inscription, Magic Blue, Xenium Pack, Winter Pack with HUD, Towbar, Power Front Cushion Extensions, Massaging Front Seats,Power Folding 2nd Row Headrests, Tinted Windows, Laminated Side Glass, Amber Leather, Linear Walnut Inlays
Soltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 19:44   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltan View Post
Not sure it makes a difference but even when you drive in Hybrid mode it will charge the battery a few percent. Not sure what happens when you put it in Power...
That is part of the driving experience , trying to get as much as possible back in the battery whilst going about your journey, it should be a lot more than a few % too .your brake pads should last about 3 times as long as a normal engined volvo
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 19:53   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The batteries are warranted for 8 years , Volvo already built in battery protection from the word go in 2012 with the C30 Electric .
The batteries will always stay in the 10% to 90% charged range, despite the gauge on the dash saying empty or full . They even say that if the car is laid up for a length of time to make sure it is put away with the batteries 25% charged .
Not so clan. The xc90 engine is capable of charging battery’s to 30% only, not 90.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 22:19   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Not so clan. The xc90 engine is capable of charging battery’s to 30% only, not 90.
yes , what I wrote was a bit misleading , I was talking about when plugged into the mains , it does not fully charge the battery only 90% , likewise it will not let the battery go completely flat it shuts down quite a bit above this although the capacity gauge will be on empty . Typical Lithium ion battery charging methods .
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 09:23   #7
MaDProFF
Master Member

My point was drivers just run hybrids with out ever fully charging to 100% (90%) with the majority running the cars with an empty battery that just gets charged a little while driving, that is drained to near empty again.

What BMW are saying that you have to fully charge a battery and drain it on a regular basis, if you do not your warranty is invalidated.

I guess Volvo's Battery System is the same and will require the same use, might even be in the small print somewhere?

something to bear in mind for the future, not to mention the fact it will give the battery system a longer life.
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 10:23   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
My point was drivers just run hybrids with out ever fully charging to 100% (90%) with the majority running the cars with an empty battery that just gets charged a little while driving, that is drained to near empty again.

What BMW are saying that you have to fully charge a battery and drain it on a regular basis, if you do not your warranty is invalidated.

I guess Volvo's Battery System is the same and will require the same use, might even be in the small print somewhere?

something to bear in mind for the future, not to mention the fact it will give the battery system a longer life.
There are no such requirements with the volvo hybrid system other than making sure the battery is about 25% charged before storing the car away .. It is standard lithium ion battery technology .

What BMW appear to be saying is for lead acid battery technology ! Anyway how are they going to know how the battery is being used to keep the warranty intact ?
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 10:40   #9
MaDProFF
Master Member

I would put money on it that ECU logs battery charging etc. lets face it everything is pretty well logged now days on cars.

330E does not use lead acid batteries in its hybrid system.

Last edited by MaDProFF; Oct 13th, 2018 at 10:49.