Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V90 Trailer module

Views : 4955

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2019, 18:12   #11
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Are you sure its a V90 towbar, I can only find a fixed towbar for the XC90, may fit though.
https://www.volvopartshop.com/towbar...16-19352-p.asp

yes, sure its a V90 one. the part number matches the various volvo accessory websites i've found, plus the volvo dealer advertised it as V90. i also checked the instructions on many aftermarket ones and the diagrams for the part of the towbar which fits the chassis is identical to every other one in terms of size and design. the only difference is the hook. even the instructions which have the part number and pictures of the v90 match up with the labels on the box.

suppose most v90 owners prefer a folding one for cleaner looks, - but after my experience with my 2 week old Skoda superb a few years back when a van slowly backed into the car, if i'd kept my removable towhook on the car the bodywork wouldn't have been damaged - might have just needed a new hook.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 19:46   #12
mr rusty

When I got my new (pre-registered) V90 and asked for a towbar, dealer offered volvo electric folding or a detachable at half the price. As it's only occasional I went for the cheaper option. Turned out to be a Witter/westfalia. No problems with it. does what it is supposed to.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 23:54   #13
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
When I got my new (pre-registered) V90 and asked for a towbar, dealer offered volvo electric folding or a detachable at half the price. As it's only occasional I went for the cheaper option. Turned out to be a Witter/westfalia. No problems with it. does what it is supposed to.
wish mine offered me that deal. they came back with £1075 for electric one. i only use it 2 or 3 times a year to carry bikes on a towbar carrier, and once a year to take my gardening gear down the allotment. hence why i'm comfortable for £400/500, but 1k+ is too much for my use - i'd be better running my existing audi a6 along this one as that'll cost less than £500 a year to run exc fuel.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 10:39   #14
dougaldavis

31454602 is the trailer module you need .
The fixed towbar was initially offered along with the semi electric version but was swiftly removed from the accessory list so im guessing the dealer had an old one lying around
dougaldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dougaldavis For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 17:16   #15
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
for example the tow bars supplied for UK have a full length big hard foam piece supplied with them which goes between bumper and towbar ..]
Really, since when?
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 21:21   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Really, since when?
The XC90 has the full width foam block in the kit from at least 2 years ago the XC60 has a foam block on each end in the kit so slightly different .

Most are factory fitted now so can't remember about the later more current models they all look the same without the bumper anyway :-)
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 21:38   #17
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
The XC90 has the full width foam block in the kit from at least 2 years ago the XC60 has a foam block on each end in the kit so slightly different .

Most are factory fitted now so can't remember about the later more current models they all look the same without the bumper anyway :-)
I can't see any foam blocks or mention of them here
https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...0(18-)/2019/T5
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 21:42   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
I can't see any foam blocks or mention of them here
https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...0(18-)/2019/T5
well there you go , thats different to the XC90 and the XC60 ...perhaps the bumper already has the required protection built in as time goes on ...
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 14:25   #19
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougaldavis View Post
31454602 is the trailer module you need .
The fixed towbar was initially offered along with the semi electric version but was swiftly removed from the accessory list so im guessing the dealer had an old one lying around
thank you for this helpful post. the dealer who sold me the towbar also identified that part number for the module and its winging it way to me. once fitted i'll see if my local dealer can do the software update.

does anyone know if the software update is to code the module to the car, or if only changes ABS/Stability/reverse sensor settings?
my 10 yr old audi needed the coding to recognise the towing module and wouldn't work until it was coded, whilst my old style XC90 worked fine without the coding and as i was only using the towbar for a bike carrier i never got the software done as i think on that car it would have only helped ABS/stability if towing a caravan.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 14:30   #20
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
well there you go , thats different to the XC90 and the XC60 ...perhaps the bumper already has the required protection built in as time goes on ...
https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...20(17-)%202020
mine just has the foam end blocks like in this link attached - item "B" - suppose it stops the edge of the towbar punching through the bumper in the event of a low speed shunt. the rest of the towbar is fairly smooth edged so i assume less risk.