Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New member needs help 850 blower motor not working !!!

Views : 1979

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 17:18   #1
vauxhallmaniac

Default New member needs help 850 blower motor not working !!!

Hi all i'm new to the forum and am hoping for some pointers on an 850 blower motor !!! the car is a 1996 (850) the blower fault started intermittently sometimes running 3 months without fault !!.... now when i really need it with the cold weather its packed up completely .
My checks so far are power to the blower motor engine running 9v ( should i be seeing 12+v ?? ) removed and ran the blower fan from a slave battery spins up fine....found the climate diagnostic method online and pulled trouble codes 325,411,414,418,419.... here's where i'm stumped..would the drivers side sensor fan seized (414) stop the blower fan running as a safety cutout?? passenger side fan (411) seized or over current... it spins freely and runs fine off the slave battery at 12v ?...also if i slide the fan speed slider should i be seeing the 9v supply to the motor dropping and rising with the slider ? would really appreciate some help from forum members as its off the road with the bad weather till i can get her fixed......Many Thanks Simon
vauxhallmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 00:18   #2
Cookeh
Premier Member

That's quite a few codes, even for the troublesome ECC system. The very first thing I'd do is reset the lot and then see which ones return.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 00:53   #3
850Red

Does it have ECC? If so, the slider sends a square wave signal to the power stage, which then in turn sends a voltage to the blower fan (up to 12v full speed). There are many points of failure. Check the fuses, then resistor pack in the blower housing, then the power stage, then the slider.

The other faults you mentioned are unrelated. The blower should always work regardless.

Good luck.
850Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 18:28   #4
vauxhallmaniac

Thanks for the replies guys !!! ........its the 9volts thats throwing me as i would have thought the motor would at least turn under its own steam !! i'll have another look tomorrow can you tell me where the power stage is and is this a relay??? not heard of one before not sure if its classed as ECC my control panel is the same as this eBay item number: 274029344413 Cheers for the pointers i will clear the fault codes and run some tests
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 01:02   #5
850Red

Yes, can confirm you have ECC (Electronic Climate Control). The power stage is not a relay, it's digital, wont show on a multimeter, you'll need an oscilloscope. Unfortunately without seeing it I'm not gonna be much use as I am ****e at explaining things.

Where are you getting 9v from? The motor spins at 12v. The +ve terminal is permanently hot, you can run the motor by grounding the blue wire.
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 11:03   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

The most likely problem is the final stage power transistor/resistor pack located on the base of the blower, replacements are available.

Try The "how to" here NBthe ephotos are missing, but it is fairly straight forward
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=74907

here
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=82007

and here
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=6632

There are similar issues found in the V70's both P1 and P2 - cheapest and easiest way is to swap it for a good blower from a breaker.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Nov 6th, 2019 at 11:05.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 19:11   #7
vauxhallmaniac

Update...Sorry only just had time to take a look !!!! my 9v was between the two terminals on the motor plug and yes if i go between the live and earth to chassis i've got 12v ( my mistake didn't didn't realise they used the earth to vary the speed !!!) i've had the power stage out got a permanent live and ignition live to it and the two fuses 4 speed and 1-3 speed are good .......... taking a punt i have Ebayed a power stage and ecc switch panel from all i have read these are the two common faults just got to hope they are in good working order !!!
My only fear is if the blower motor is drawing too much current do they have a history of blowing the power stage?? ...just hoping it will all run and if it dies again do the motor and power stage ( again ) next time !!!
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 19:38   #8
vauxhallmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
The most likely problem is the final stage power transistor/resistor pack located on the base of the blower, replacements are available.

Try The "how to" here NBthe ephotos are missing, but it is fairly straight forward
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=74907

here
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=82007

and here
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=6632

There are similar issues found in the V70's both P1 and P2 - cheapest and easiest way is to swap it for a good blower from a breaker.
Some good info thanks i will remove and lube up the fan motor to hopefully increase my chances of not blowing the power stage again !!!!
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 22:33   #9
850Red

As I was saying previously, you have ECC, so you don't have the 1-3 speed, it's a variable slider that sends a signal to the power stage.

Did you ground the -ve terminal and did the blower motor spin up?
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 05:29   #10
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauxhallmaniac View Post
Some good info thanks i will remove and lube up the fan motor to hopefully increase my chances of not blowing the power stage again !!!!
Whilst you've got the fan out, it is worth cleaning the muck of the blades with washing up liquid solution, rinsing and then drying. It makes huge difference to the air though put. - NB makes sure that if yours is the later metal fan you don't move the small balance weights as the whole thing will rattle and vibrate like mad when it runs!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post: