Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 Dashboard Removal??

Views : 983

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 23:21   #1
v90will

Default V90 Dashboard Removal??

Hi everyone,
Been a lurker here for quite a while. My dad owns a R reg Volvo V90 and I/we have found this site very helpful in the past. He loves the car and totally pampers it and keeps it comletely spotless

Anyway, recently my dad went over a speed hump and it started an annoying rattle under the dashboard.

After spending an entire week messing around trying to figure out where the rattle/vibration was coming from it turns out its coming from under the dashboard and it will stop if you hold on the bonnet release handle - i.e., if you gently pull on it then the rattle/vibration stops.

So I am guessing something has come loose under the dash somewhere. So what I was wondering, does anyone know the route the bonnet release cable/cable sheath takes under the dash?? If so, how is it held down and is it possible for it to come loose and cause an annoying rattle??

I have tried searching the forum for tips and advice on how to remove the dashboard to get to the cable but found no info.

Personally I drive a 1998 P38 Range Rover and I am quite used to tearing the dash apart and working on it as there is plenty on info out there on the net for it but I cant really seem to find the same for the V90. Also, when looking I cant seem to find any exposed screws so dont really know where to start with trying to get under/into the dash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me some guidance on how to remove/get into the dashboard.

Thanks
-Wills
v90will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 00:09   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

The cable is fixed at the end with the release catch and then heads towards the firewall.
From the firewall it will head to the front under the lip where the drivers side wing is bolted .
Goes behind the expansion tank.
The to the front bhind the lamps and so to the 2 (note: 2) catches.

You may be able to adjust the cable from the catch end, but you need to adjust both catches to get it right.
Something Volvo were unable to do when they renewed the release cable on my 940!!!
I just got excuses...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 18:44   #3
migrator
Aye - him again

The main cable runs only to the first of the two catches. There is a separate cable running between the catches and it can take the dealers a long time to replace that one - as I found out.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 22:46   #4
v90will

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
You may be able to adjust the cable from the catch end, but you need to adjust both catches to get it right.
Something Volvo were unable to do when they renewed the release cable on my 940!!!
I just got excuses...
Thanks for the replies Des and Migrator.

I got around to checking it out this afternoon and it doesnt seem that the bonnet release cable is the problem.

So, it looks like something must be trapped and rattling behind the dash, so, if anyone can please post the info on how to take apart the dash then it would be greatly apreciated, thanks

-Wills
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 01:51   #5
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

The first thing to do then would be to remove the covers from the drivers side foot well and see if you can trace the sound/rattle from there.

Just 3 screws and some clips I think.

You can drive around with the covers off and will likely get a better idea of where the sound originates..

Same probably with the passenger side. But do one side at a time.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 02:12   #6
v90will

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. After many many MANY weekends of having the dash panels apart trying to locate this blasted vibration/rattle I finally managed to nail it.

With the panel above the drivers knees removed I reached my hand up as far as I possibly could and could feel the end of a plastic cable tie resting against something metal. I got a mirror and a strong torch and saw a large black cable tie attached to some wiring. I got out my wire snippers and very very carefully snipped off the end of the cable tie. Took it for a run round the block and all was good, vibration gone and me very happy and my dad even happier.

One question if anyone knows though, did Volvo make it a habit to use cable ties to secure things?? Either way I hope I never have to find a vibration as trivial as that again.

Thanks for the guidance on how to remove the panels.

Thanks
-Wills