Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 940 sports estate manual

Views : 26194

Replies : 233

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2009, 20:39   #21
amaz'in

Hi all,

Wow the car has surfaced on the Bay again, and it's at £400.00 already with 9 day's to go! insane pricing, makes both My Sports and Chesh's worth about the same as the third world deficit

Was going to have a go at it for a spare car...but with it requiring trailering home, and factor in buggered engine (sure, it could be little end or...) and no MOT or Tax, with 9 day's to run???

The alloy's need re-finishing too? I should have bought the one on auto-trader for £500.00, and it had MOT and Tax etc.

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 20:49   #22
ton377
Master Member

[QUOTE=amaz'in;592630]Hi all,

Wow the car has surfaced on the Bay again, and it's at £400.00 already with 9 day's to go! insane pricing, makes both My Sports and Chesh's worth about the same as the third world deficit

Maybe we should have some fun and guess the final price it goes for!

9 days to go and already at 400 in the state its in lets see....
ton377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 21:03   #23
LankyTim
Missing the point

400 notes isnt too bad, think of the parts that can be salvaged.

250 is nearer the mark, however. Theyd make stacks more breaking it up though.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 22:18   #24
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: price

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim View Post
400 notes isnt too bad, think of the parts that can be salvaged.

250 is nearer the mark, however. Theyd make stacks more breaking it up though.
I wanted to have a go at bringing it back to the road, and was thinking of max £300 on its first time round, then fix the brakes and maybe have change from £600 and a halfway decent motor you could improve over time.

£410 now with 9 days to go. somehow I can't see the engine being a £150 repair, or surely they'd have had it done? I think it's no go for for anyone with a tiny bit of sense left.

If we're guessing where this will go, then I'd say somewhere near a grand, but ending as uncollected.

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Dec 1st, 2009 at 22:30.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 15:02   #25
amaz'in

Hi T,

£300.00 is where I had it, maybe stretch to £ 350.00 at a push.

Ok a tralier hire is just £35.00 + drat locally but still a hassle, but i'm with you...£150 to sort what i presume is a nasty little knocking sound.. to do it yourself yes, but there's no way you could take it to anyone ...it would destroy the budget...big time.

Just the cost of pulling the lump out alone and dismantling it would be prohibative.

I guess the car would have made sense with an A1 engine? but tax on top then MOT, sheesh...

I'm fascintated though.

But here's the odd thing here Guy's, I popped to Halfords on Sunday and was nearing home, when I pulled up at the roundabout, when a Black volvo Estate came past, I guess I noticed it as it came round the roundabout towards and past me as it had Galaxy wheels and all the usual sports kit, I also happened to catch the last 3 letters of the Number plate, when I got home they were the same as the car on fleabay??

How weird is that? I have never seen another Sports on the road, let alone in Norwich, and 1/2 mile from home, guess it's a sister car to the fleabay car???

What are the odds on that eh?

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 20:17   #26
framfarm

Default What a kerfuffle!

Hi All,

I'm Neil, the guy who's got the car on eBay, well strictly my Mother-in-Law has!

I had no idea of the existence of the world of Volvo forums until today when someone pointed me here as a matter of interest. I also had no idea of the world of rare alloy wheels or any of the other stuff discussed above, most of it above my head and might as well be in Greek.

FWIW I only ended the auction early due to M-i-L not understanding eBay auction rules, and once I'd got a better idea of what the mechanic thought was wrong with it, and how much he could fix it it for himself (presumably just parts cost, maybe re-conditioned?) I re-listed it. My M-i-L knows even less than me about cars and genuinely believed that the 'little end' or 'small end' (I don't know what she was told) was to do with the brakes. The only reason she didn't get the work done was money related. Following F-i-L's death last year she was worrying about money and didn't need to keep this on the road as they have other newer cars. Once it was off the road and SORN'd she kind of realised she didn't actually need it - and she can't park it or turn it around in our drive anyway.

I guess the bottom line is the same as with all auctions, the car is worth what someone will pay for it. If it reaches anywhere near some of the astronomical figures mentioned here I'll be gobsmacked and M-i-L delighted.

Anyway, it's been a bit of an education and for those who suspected I had ended the auction early for a 'good offer'...... that won't happen, I said it would go to the best offer and I'm a man of my word.

Happy (Volvo) motoring to all!

Cheers,

Neil.

p.s. I'm a Subaru man myself... heresy?
framfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 21:23   #27
LankyTim
Missing the point

Hello Neil, nice of you to pop on and say HI!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 21:32   #28
framfarm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the welcome, been a very interesting read. Seems to have divided opinion along the lines of "to break or not to break". As it's not my car I've no sentimental attachment to it but I'd have liked to seen it repaired if economic to do so... but the market will decide! I understand why the Vovlo diehards would like to keep it on the road if possible though.

I personally think this is going the opposite way to 'normal' auctions. They are usually quiet for ages then go mad at the end, this one seems to have reached it's level pretty early and then stopped, or maybe not!

I'm well aware of non-payers as someone suggested earlier in the thread, but then it just gets offered to the underbidder so no problem.

Cheers,

Neil.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 21:55   #29
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: economic repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by framfarm View Post
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the welcome, been a very interesting read. Seems to have divided opinion along the lines of "to break or not to break". As it's not my car I've no sentimental attachment to it but I'd have liked to seen it repaired if economic to do so... but the market will decide! I understand why the Vovlo diehards would like to keep it on the road if possible though.

I personally think this is going the opposite way to 'normal' auctions. They are usually quiet for ages then go mad at the end, this one seems to have reached it's level pretty early and then stopped, or maybe not!

I'm well aware of non-payers as someone suggested earlier in the thread, but then it just gets offered to the underbidder so no problem.

Cheers,

Neil.
Nice of you to drop by, Neil.

I think a few of us would like to see it back on the road, but as Amazin' pointed out, it's probably a £300 to 350 car (tops) as it stands (and no disrespect intended whatsoever). what with the need for the repairs (unknown really) MOT, tax, then wheel refurbishing, etc, then it would pay to bide your time and wait for a good runner to come up with MOT, tax etc.

Pity really, it could have gained a good home with a member from here, but I can't see anyone here delving as deep as I think this may go.

Good luck with the sale anyway

Cheers,

T

p.s. Don't ever crash that Scooby, then fold up like tissue paper.

p.p.s. Amaz'in - Very freaky coincidence

Last edited by T240; Dec 2nd, 2009 at 21:59.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 22:49   #30
framfarm

Hi T240,

No offence taken! As I said I just listed it for my M-i-L so no other connection or expectation of value.

Sadly I think it will end up being broken for spares, once someone has had the wheels off it.

Cheers,

Neil.