Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2010 d3 s80, engine failure help

Views : 2584

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2016, 21:46   #1
boyracer996

Default 2010 d3 s80, engine failure help

Recently purchased an engine damaged 2010 s80 d3, non runner. Its fitted with the d5204t engine.

It turns over very fast and then starts to catch with what sounds like compression and nearly fire, then loses it and spins over fast again. This continues but never fires up.

Iv pulled the timing and its one tooth out on the cam sprocket with the crank at TDC.

Iv pulled the rocker cover etc and one of the exhaust cam followers was upside down (uh oh, i know) and i was able to remove it from under the cam, along with the hydraulic tappet. Surely the followers should be a lot tighter than this? They are very loose, some of which have approx 5mm gap between the follower and cam. I can post a video if needs be?

I know theres a good chance this engine has bent valves but is that likely my issue? Maybe the valves are bent and not returning fully causing this slap at the follower side? In turn stopping it from firing up?

Can anyone tell me the tollerances? Also, where to get parts for this engine? It seems that there are few engine parts available online? Im probably going to end up needing head gasket etc

Any help would be much appreciated.

Gareth
boyracer996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 22:45   #2
Dancake
Premier Member

I would say bent valves is very likely. If the car is turning over quicker than it normally would, it's an indication of a loss of compression. Could also be head gasket or valve clearances, but bent valves are the most probable cause.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 00:05   #3
boyracer996

it spins over fast, then starts to catch and sounds like she wants to fire, then back to spinning over fast again. The follower being upside down worried me but again i guess if that valve is bent it wouldnt return all the way back up and allow the follower room to move?

i checked the timing and its 1 tooth out, surely it would take more than that to cause interferance?
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 00:18   #4
Dancake
Premier Member

I don't think 1 tooth would have been enough to cause interferance. The car should still fire with one faulty valve and run rough. Have you tried a compression test?
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 00:26   #5
boyracer996

i suspect its a few valves, just with the amount of play in the followers. havnt done a compression test, i dont think i have an attachment for the comp tester for a diesel either.

il pull the head tomorrow and get a good look at it. Do you happen to know how much slap i should have between cam lobe and follower when the valve is closed?
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 00:28   #6
Dancake
Premier Member

If you pm me the vin I'll have a look tomorrow for you
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 09:36   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyracer996 View Post
Recently purchased an engine damaged 2010 s80 d3, non runner. Its fitted with the d5204t engine.

It turns over very fast and then starts to catch with what sounds like compression and nearly fire, then loses it and spins over fast again. This continues but never fires up.

Iv pulled the timing and its one tooth out on the cam sprocket with the crank at TDC.

Iv pulled the rocker cover etc and one of the exhaust cam followers was upside down (uh oh, i know) and i was able to remove it from under the cam, along with the hydraulic tappet. Surely the followers should be a lot tighter than this? They are very loose, some of which have approx 5mm gap between the follower and cam. I can post a video if needs be?

I know theres a good chance this engine has bent valves but is that likely my issue? Maybe the valves are bent and not returning fully causing this slap at the follower side? In turn stopping it from firing up?

Can anyone tell me the tollerances? Also, where to get parts for this engine? It seems that there are few engine parts available online? Im probably going to end up needing head gasket etc

Any help would be much appreciated.

Gareth
Firstly i have never known valves to bend , they are not angled so get a direct hit upwards which damages the rocker and splits the head casting which houses the hydraulic lifter which goes sideways .. , have a close look at those ! the rocker is the weak spot to prevent bottom end damage and this always seems to work . You will need a new head and set of rockers and lifters no doubt ...
By the way when you line up the crankshaft marl is is NOT TDC it is a safe position with all pistons down to allow you to turn the camshaft and line that up ..

the odd catch when spinning over is probably random firing due to oil around ..
There should be no noticeable play between rocker and valve stem .
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 22:45   #8
boyracer996

clan, you hot the nail on the head. every tappet housing broken, tappets all sitting at an angle and broken bits of casting everywhere.

i assume this cant be repaired? new head etc needed?
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 22:50   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyracer996 View Post
clan, you hot the nail on the head. every tappet housing broken, tappets all sitting at an angle and broken bits of casting everywhere.

i assume this cant be repaired? new head etc needed?
no can't be repaired , you might find some camshaft bearing caps broken too or cracked . New parts are going to cost around £2500+ i would guess .
I assume it has no service history with volvo ... so the Aux.Belt and tensioner not changed at 54000 miles and /or some recalls/service actioned not done?

It may be cheaper to fit a complete used engine if you can find one at the right price .
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 00:06   #10
boyracer996

i can get a head if needs be i guess, the cams etc are all ok as far as i can see but maybe to be safe i should change them.

funny you mention that, the car has full volvo history... although i cant see volvo helping me out, other than taking my money haha

although its a d3, does it share any parts with a d5? they look very similar? code on the timing cover is D5204T

Last edited by boyracer996; Aug 22nd, 2016 at 00:09.