Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do I top it up?!

Views : 1286

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2020, 08:01   #1
Pointer7

Default Do I top it up?!

Hi All,

My S60 D4 VEA is showing low oil level (no marks on the gauge it just says low)

It was showing OK last week and has done since volvo serviced it in December last year.

What grade oil should I use and how much? I've seen 2 or 3 different recommendations on grades? Also a bit worried that the sensor isn't reading correctly as if it is correct, that's a fair drop in level (no visible leaks or smoke)
Pointer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 10:12   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

The correct grade is shown in the user's handbook, but there are so many different engines listed that there's a risk of choosing the wrong one (as I did once).

If you go onto the Euro Car Parts website and key in your car's registration mark then it should bring up the correct grade. It didn't used to but it does now.

FYI, this is what I'll be buying today for my wife's V60 D3 with the VEA engine.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/mobil...w-20-521779262

This is the correct grade, i.e. 0w/20 made to Volvo's specification.

Our two "VEA" Volvos also tell us how much oil to put in. Does yours?
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 10:30   #3
scbamber

Surely the right thing here is not to add new oil which is not the same specification and brand as the oil which the garage put in last December.....but to ask the garage what they used. It might even be specified on the bill from that service.

I realise that the spec may change occasionally for the same model, so a quick check in the owner's manual may be useful too.

Mine was serviced at the local Volvo dealership who only use the specified oil.

It is unlikely that damage would result from using a different top-up brand, but it would be unwise to top-up with a different spec. If the car is still in warranty it would be very unwise.

Last edited by scbamber; Oct 1st, 2020 at 10:39.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 11:06   #4
Pointer7

Thanks for the replies!

The readout just said low with no marking on the bar graph that goes across the top. I will probably top up a little at a time then check it again after a couple of days

I will dig out the service invoice from Volvo and check it, the car is out of warranty its a 2014
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 14:27   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The correct oil for your VEA D4 is a 0w-20 to Volvo spec VCC RBS0-2AE... If the car was last serviced by a Volvo dealer then this is what will be in there! Oil to this spec is widely available; I'm part-way through some Shell stuff and I also have some that I picked up at my local dealer.

You don't actually need to top-up until you get the 'add 0.5L' warning message, however I do understand your proactiveness and would suggest that at this stage you add merely 0.25L and see how it goes. Don't forget that the eDipstick does not update in real-time but displays the average over the previous 30km... so top-up, go for a drive, leave it a while, then check the level. A bit of oil consumption on these is not unusual, mine needs a top-up now and then but the dealer tells me there's nothing to worry about.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 16:24   #6
Pointer7

Zebster,

I managed to get some Castrol Edge for Volvo's today so that's good

I just find it strange how it said "OK" early last week and now it's gone straight to low but i'll top up in increments as you say and see if it then comes on to the display.

Electronic dipstick... great idea!
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 17:29   #7
steV50

I had the same issue with the VEA petrol engine in my V40. The dipstick seems to read either OK or Low and nothing in between. I panicked thinking the engine was low on oil but it only took 200ml of oil and it read OK again. The car had done about 10,000 miles since last serviced so I assume it had just used a little bit of oil in that time. Volvo dealer said you don't need to do anything unless you get a message to add 0.5L oil.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 17:49   #8
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
The correct oil for your VEA D4 is a 0w-20 to Volvo spec VCC RBS0-2AE... If the car was last serviced by a Volvo dealer then this is what will be in there! Oil to this spec is widely available; I'm part-way through some Shell stuff and I also have some that I picked up at my local dealer.

You don't actually need to top-up until you get the 'add 0.5L' warning message, however I do understand your proactiveness and would suggest that at this stage you add merely 0.25L and see how it goes. Don't forget that the eDipstick does not update in real-time but displays the average over the previous 30km... so top-up, go for a drive, leave it a while, then check the level. A bit of oil consumption on these is not unusual, mine needs a top-up now and then but the dealer tells me there's nothing to worry about.
Good advice. My 2014 VEA has had a hard life towing and now on 120k and just last year was the first time it requested the add 0.5l. Now requested 12 months on for another 0.5l. That's not bad in my opinion for a now ageing engine. The car is now retired from towing duty; now the second car but it has performed faultlessly. I do suffer from dipstick envy however!

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 18:12   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer7 View Post
Zebster,

I managed to get some Castrol Edge for Volvo's today so that's good

I just find it strange how it said "OK" early last week and now it's gone straight to low but i'll top up in increments as you say and see if it then comes on to the display.

Electronic dipstick... great idea!
The display bar is literally a binary toggle that either displays min or max and nothing inbetween! However there is also the word ok, low or high to consider when noting the reading, plus the warning messages if the car decides you really do need to add oil (which is what I wait for). It's all very dumbed-down but it works fine IF you put your trust in it (it took me a while)... I do also have a diagnostic reader that can access the sump level sensor value (in mm of oil depth) and so originally used this to better understand the system and readings.

Some Volvo owners have problems with rising oil level, which I reckon is a worse problem to deal with.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 20:07   #10
Pointer7

Spot on peeps!

Stuck 250ml in and it now says OK (didn't even have to drive it) checked it straight after and it was fine.

I can see what you mean by trusting it there was no way I would have thought that 250ml would be enough of it was reading low!