Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 mpg????

Views : 22079

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2016, 14:32   #31
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Just to add my experience into the mix, my low mileage '98 manual LPT estate is returning around 27mpg at the moment - over mixed motorway, stop-start city driving and some A road cruising.

Thats with a failed lambda sensor and cat - on the other hand it is running with 5W30 fully synthetic oil and new Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres though, both of which will be helping a bit. Once the lambda sensor and cat have been changed I'm expecting closer to 30mpg overall.
Old Jul 1st, 2016, 19:00   #32
tofufi
Premier Member

Over the last 4000 miles, I've averaged 43MPG from my D24T engined 740TD.

Mostly on longer journeys at motorway speeds (I don't sit at truck speeds)
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 22:36   #33
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Red face

160 miles mixed driving, 75 of which were purely town, rest mway 65/70 mph, 35 mpg. This is a great old car, as frugal as my old 1.6 streetka
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 10:58   #34
kiloran

New owner of a 940SE 2l petrol manual. No a/c, steel wheels. High 20s mpg for the school run, mid 30s on a dual carriageway/motorway run. Don't do a huge amount of mileage so it's not a big issue for me and the positives far outweigh the costs:
  • Simple cars to fix so less garage bills at £60 ph labour
  • Cheap parts in general
  • Less to go wrong (although I wish the car didn't have ABS and electric windows for ultimate zombie apocalypse survivability)
  • Lovely burble on startup
  • Absolutely silent in the cruise, no rattles, squeaks, or bangs
  • Refined handling
  • Only a 2l so no point in hammering the throttle
  • Easy preventative maintenance because there's a huge amount of space in the engine bay and (not too much) fancy electrics to go wrong. If you don't have the mechanic skills to fix ask your older relatives because they will.
  • Don't rust as long as you take care of them over winter

It's a car you coax to your destination, and in return it cossets you. It also has pretty good range because it has a huge tank, much bigger than many modern cars. On a long drive you'll easily get well over 400 miles out of a tank. And well-maintained petrol engines are better for public health than even a modern diesel, even with a DPF.

Absolutely love mine, it's going to be in the family for a long time because if anything does break it will be worth fixing.
kiloran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloran For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 13:19   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Huge tank? If yours is an early 940, it's almost certainly the 13.2 gallon/60L tank, later ones had a 70L/15 gall tank i believe.

I suppose it depends on your definition of huge!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 16:02   #36
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

My 940 returns an average of 28mpg or so. Maybe 32/33 on a run and 23ish around town. The problem is that it's so much more enjoyable to use the power and drive the car with a bit of zip and zing, that economy driving requires a lot of discipline to stick to.

My other car, an early spec carb 2.0 Merc 190, is much easier to hypermile with as it not only has a primitive economy meter (basically a live needle gauge that runs off the vacuum system) but also doesn't really have huge grunt in reserve...the lighter your foot, the smoother the experience, too, so it's less tempting to clog it and drive about like a mentalist 🤣
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post: