Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 charging issues

Views : 748

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2019, 15:36   #1
TimNiceBut

Default T8 charging issues

I wonder if anyone is willing to check something out for me to compare with my own findings.
Ideally I need three volunteers with T8s, one with pre-October software update, one with October update and one with post-October update.
My problem is that since my car was serviced and had the September dealer module updates applied, the hybrid battery hasn't been taking its full charge after short journeys. The battery shows full, the battery indicator shows full but the energy taken doesn't match the energy used in the short journey, often leaving me with a claimed 16 mile range on a full battery. Further battery usage will allow a "proper" recharge of the battery and a 21 mile starting range again.
Anyone up for an experiment?

As an example, yesterday evening and in the early hours of this morning I made two short journeys of 2.7 and 2.5 miles, totalling 5.2 miles, having started with a full charge. On my return home the battery gauge was only half a notch off Full and showed a range of 14 miles. (I'd had the heated seat and steering wheel on, plus both journeys were using headlights if that's pertinent.)

I plugged the chargepiont in at around 01:15 and didn't unplug it until 12:28 this afternoon. It only drew 1kWh of energy, despite VOC showing that I'd used 2.2kWh total, with region less than 0.1 kWh for each leg of the journey. The range had only increased to 16 miles despite VOC and the car reporting the battery as full.

I went for a longer drive, getting the range down to 8 miles. That trip used 3.7kWh and regenerated 0.7 kWh. Again, I plugged in and my PodPoint app shows 4.4 kWh delivered. The car is showing charging complete with a range of 20 miles. I honestly thing that something has changed after the October module updates. The battery charge indicator does not reflect true usage and the battery doesn't recharge fully where as before its service, it worked as expected.
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 09:38   #2
JCLXC60T8

Smile T8 charging issues

my observation is that charging tech seems to vary the charging time based on battery, temp, current charge and i have seen this vary. Are you using 10a or 16amp supply to charge? Also if you switch to Pure mode you will get 24-25mile range, switching heating AC off will also improve the distance a lot..

my issue last week was that AC/DC charge unit has failed and the Internal fuses have blown (Not something that we can change as they are not visible or in any of the fuse boxes.. At the moment its not clear if this is Fuses only or AC/DC charge unit, i understood from Volvo that they have had issues with this unit, however, you would normally see an alert on the dashboard in my case no alert..
JCLXC60T8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 18:00   #3
siebek

Hmmmm... there are some power loses during charging (generated heat would explain that), but that doesn't explain 4.4kWh used for filling up 3.0kWh.

I typically charge the battery from almost empty to full and during summer in pure mode I'm getting 27-30 miles.