Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 SE, non-ac, how hot should the heater be?

Views : 1355

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 11:13   #1
kiloran

Default 940 SE, non-ac, how hot should the heater be?

New owner of a '93 940SE 2l petrol non-turbo, it's the non-a/c model. Heater pushes out warm air but it's not exactly toasty - how hot should it be?

I've checked around for some of the obvious things as follows:

1. Car warms up in about 5 minutes, temp gauge sits just slightly to the left of vertical

2. Coolant level is fine (not using any coolant)

3. Rad hoses are at the temperature I'd expect I think - after a long run I can hold them fairly tightly indefinitely - should they be hotter?

4. Matrix hoses are warm as they enter the firewall

5. No evidence of any moisture in driver's footwell

6. Blower fan operates on all speeds.

7. Warm air vents respond to the rotary dial selector as expected

8. There is warm air coming from the vents, it just isn't by any means hot. A pleasant heat - I could hold my hand over the vent on maximum heat indefinitely I think.

Is this just how 940 heaters are or is there a problem? I'd always imagined something designed for the arctic wastes would have an insanely hot heater?
kiloran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloran For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 11:26   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It should be very hot.

Try a new Tstat, you can also flush the water system. The matrix could be blocked with gunk
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 11:45   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Also try reversing the hoses on the matrix, you should be able to do this on the bulkhead. I've had several cars in the past including my last 740 where some numpty had reversed the heater hoses so the flow was in the wrong direction through the matrix resulting in very little heat output and a constant air lock in the system.

Should be pretty hot before the temp gauge gets as far up as you say yours gets but by rights it should sit vertical when up to temperature so it does sound as if you have a 'stat problem as well. That said, you should get warmth - also check the control cable hasn't come off the heater valve, use an old door mirror glass and a torch to see what's happening with the valve and control cable - it's sort of above and left of the clutch pedal inside the car.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 12:04   #4
kiloran

Thanks both, will try the stat as it looks easy enough to do and I don't know the provenance of the coolant in the car. Then will take a look at the control valve/cable

I'm a bit nervous about back-flushing the matrix so will leave that to last. Don't want to accelerate its decline if its on the way out.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 12:40   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Thanks both, will try the stat as it looks easy enough to do and I don't know the provenance of the coolant in the car. Then will take a look at the control valve/cable

I'm a bit nervous about back-flushing the matrix so will leave that to last. Don't want to accelerate its decline if its on the way out.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...44&postcount=5

Have a look at the flushing method described in that post ^^^^^ just ignore the references to the head gasket.

Before you get too far into it, i'd swap the hoses on the heater as a first try to see if that brings hot air from the heater. If so, flushing everything will improve matters and prollong the life of everything.
The flush can be done as part of the 'stat change as well

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 13:23   #6
kiloran

Top advice, thanks. Definitely changing the coolant, the expansion tank just contains what looks like clear water, certainly not the blue or orange I'd expect. Got a long run tomorrow (150 miles) so will schedule it for the weekend
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 13:33   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Top advice, thanks. Definitely changing the coolant, the expansion tank just contains what looks like clear water, certainly not the blue or orange I'd expect. Got a long run tomorrow (150 miles) so will schedule it for the weekend
I hope it's not orange or red - that would suggest OAT coolant which isn't good news!

Seriously, try swappinghte hoses on the heater, takes about 10 minutes tops to do it, if it doesn't improve the ehater it's only a few minutes to swap them back again. Might give you nice warm tootsies tomorrow instead of getting out with your feet like blocks of ice!

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 13:56   #8
TonyS9
Premier Member

Have to admit my 940 heater isn't the best compared with the 360. Seems to have a poor output for longer that I think it should have.

I generally put the fan up to position 2 after the gauge starts to move, which seems to help.

Once its going about 10mins and a decent rpms it seems good.

I did put a new control valve in many years ago. It wasn't closing due to the hose being over tighened and distorting the housing, so I suspect it might have had a new matrix or something before.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 14:46   #9
kiloran

Update:

Given the hose clamps for the matrix a liberal spraying of release oil as they're pretty corroded.

Removed the kick panel under the steering wheel (yay, torx screws into proper brass ferrules rather than use once, break once plastic clips) and can confirm the following:

1. Heater position switch is connected - arm moves when moving selector

2. Heater control valve connected - can see the cable pulling the arm when moving the heat level selector.

Some evidence of leakage from heater control valve (HCV) - see photos. But it's dry at the moment so might be from long ago.

Got heated seats for the journey tomorrow so not too bothered. And being an almost 50yo Volvo driver, time for driving gloves perhaps!

What's involved in replacing the HCV for a non a/c car? Looks like there's reasonable access?
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 15:13   #10
griston64
Premier Member

The worst thing in replacing the heater control valve is getting one !
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: