Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 SE, non-ac, how hot should the heater be?

Views : 1356

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 20:47   #21
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinp View Post
Temperature gauge at 11:30 and dropping when you put the heater on full, then I would go with thermostat failing. It's either stuck partially open or opening too early.

The symptoms with mine were the same, there was a noticeable drop in the temperature gauge needle when I was doing fast driving. Around town I didn't really notice there was a problem as it was only short runs.
I'll be blatting it up the M3/A34/M4 tomorrow so will keep an eye on it. Have to love how 70mph is vertical on the speedo too, typical Volvo.
kiloran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloran For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 22:18   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Keep an eye on the temp gauge as you hit the M27, if it starts to drop as you get up to motorway speeds you'll know for sure the 'stat is weak.

Many moons ago there was a design study on gauges (i think for the aerosapce industry) and it was found that the vertical position of gauges was the most easily read and recognised as being right.
Could get you into trouble round town though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 23:07   #23
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I changed the HCV in my old 240. Absolute sh*tter of a job, and the one I fitted was defective, so sprayed the inside of the car with a fine mist of coolant!

Out came the defective unit and in went the old one, then out came the old one and in went a decent new one. Problem solved. Never again...most of my knuckles are still in the car!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 09:35   #24
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Temperature gauge

The temperature gauge is quite heavily dampened around the middle position, so it is not a lineair scale. I have seen some measuring results indicating that the needle stays more or less at 12 o’clock from 60 to 120 degrees! An 11.30 position is therefore considerably colder than you would expect. You will certainly notice this in the heater performance.
Rob
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 15:43   #25
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
The temperature gauge is quite heavily dampened around the middle position, so it is not a lineair scale. I have seen some measuring results indicating that the needle stays more or less at 12 o’clock from 60 to 120 degrees! An 11.30 position is therefore considerably colder than you would expect. You will certainly notice this in the heater performance.
Rob
Interesting thanks. On the run today it never got to 12 o'clock and on a couple of occasions it was down around 11 (lower than it is normally). The only time it was almost vertical was a max load test going up over White Horse hill near Avebury (motorways were screwed so I went cross country). For that test I arrived at the bottom at about 20mph in 4th gear and climbed at max load until the car got to 50mph. Once over the top it almost crept to vertical but still not quite and quickly dropped back to 11.5ish. Its a test I did in my old Mondeo diesel when it was having cooling issues so hopefully valid for a petrol car too.

Heater symptoms in the car - barely warm air from the drivers window, drivers hand vent, and windscreen vents with the selector on screen or upper. Cold air from the centre dash vents. On the screen heat setting it was still warm enough to keep the windscreen from misting. It was pretty cold first thing - I had to scrape the screen this morning. One thing I was getting was condensation on the outside of the windscreen in line with the dash screen vents. Thought it was inside until I used the wipers and it cleared.

On arrival in Swindon I checked the rad hoses. Top hose was definitely hot to touch but wasn't scorching. Didn't have time to check for any leakage from the HCV, will do that when I get home tonight.

Anyway, stat is on the way and I'll look at it at the weekend hopefully. Thanks for your help with this, as a first time poster it's really appreciated and I'm loving finding out about the quirks of my new car.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kiloran For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 18:35   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The 'stat will definitely improve matters for you! Also check your viscous coupling on the fan hasn't seized.
When the engine is cold (and off!) you should be able to spin the fan easily, get the engine hotter and switch off then try again, it should be considerably harder to turn.

Must admit, i think you made the right choice on the route, i would have opted for the one you took in the first place and avoided the motorways completely.
If the hill you're talking about near Avebury is the one i'm thinking of, if that didn't make the engine work and build temperature, nothing will!

Don't forget today has been cooler than it has been in general lately which would have probably caused the 11 o'clock position instead of the 1130 position of the temp gauge.

It's a while since i did a 'stat on a red block and i can't remember the sealing arrangement. If it's a sealing ring (rubbery thing) there should be a groove on the inside to fit on the 'stat. If so, smear the edge of the 'stat with silicone grease (or Vaseline at a push) and once the 'stat is in the ring, smear more on the outside of the ring.
When you've removed the old one, clean out the recess in the head and 'stat housing that the 'stat sits in using a flat bladed screwdriver or similar. Put the 'stat in place, twist it left/right a couple of times to get it seated then fit the 'stat housing again.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 18:46   #27
griston64
Premier Member

Be careful with the nuts on the housing as well. The rubber gasket fits round the edge of the stat. Clean all mating faces very carefully before refitting.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 21:18   #28
Ian21401
Premier Member

kiloran,
I have a 1992 940. The central facia vents are only designed to provide air at the ambient outside air temperature, so mine are closed except in the hottest of weather. The side facia vents are designed to provide air heated to whatever you have the heat control set to.
Decades ago I drove a 244 provided by my employer. I cannot remember whether it had central facia vents but the side facia vents were fitted with a mixer adjustment so that it was possible to control their output temperature between cold and whatever the main heat control was set to. Dave may be able to confirm that.
I’m in the process of sorting a problem very similar to yours. My viscous fan appears to have seized so I have removed it temporarily and will soon be fitting a new thermostat.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 22:14   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
kiloran,
I have a 1992 940. The central facia vents are only designed to provide air at the ambient outside air temperature, so mine are closed except in the hottest of weather. The side facia vents are designed to provide air heated to whatever you have the heat control set to.
Decades ago I drove a 244 provided by my employer. I cannot remember whether it had central facia vents but the side facia vents were fitted with a mixer adjustment so that it was possible to control their output temperature between cold and whatever the main heat control was set to. Dave may be able to confirm that.
I’m in the process of sorting a problem very similar to yours. My viscous fan appears to have seized so I have removed it temporarily and will soon be fitting a new thermostat.
If memory serves Ian, the centre vents on manual heaters are for fresh air, the outboard ones can be set to whatever temperature the hear is set at.
On air-con cars, the centre vents and outboard vents are designed to be left open, especially in Auto mode whre the system selects the outlets (vents, feet, screen etc) and the air blend to match the set temperature. If set to the screen or the system in auto mode senses the screen needs demisting, it will set full heat, fastest fan to the screen, no other output.

I can't remember what the 240 estate i had as an occasional company car had in the centre, vents, no vents, fresh air only or temperature controlled - could be any of them! Usual chariot of choice was a 360 GLT and i only had the 240 if the 360 was either in for service or some other reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 10:01   #30
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If memory serves Ian, the centre vents on manual heaters are for fresh air, the outboard ones can be set to whatever temperature the hear is set at.
On air-con cars, the centre vents and outboard vents are designed to be left open, especially in Auto mode whre the system selects the outlets (vents, feet, screen etc) and the air blend to match the set temperature. If set to the screen or the system in auto mode senses the screen needs demisting, it will set full heat, fastest fan to the screen, no other output.

I can't remember what the 240 estate i had as an occasional company car had in the centre, vents, no vents, fresh air only or temperature controlled - could be any of them! Usual chariot of choice was a 360 GLT and i only had the 240 if the 360 was either in for service or some other reason.
Aha - that has to be one of the stranger quirks I've encountered. Can't recall any of the 15+ cars I've owned delivering cold air from some vents whilst others are delivering hot.

Further diagnostics - passenger side outer vent is warmer than the driver's side outer vent. And the glovebox is noticeably warm based on the slightly melted Twix I found this morning

Still waiting for stat to arrive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloran For This Useful Post: