Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 Tracker

Views : 899

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2020, 21:28   #1
panda529e699

Default 740 Tracker

Hello

I`am thinking of getting a tracker, any advise as to the best one to get for the vehicle would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Andrew
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 21:48   #2
aardvarkash10
Master Member

I've heard that a Zulu hunter can track game for 100s of kilometres...
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 00:24   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Depends exactly what you're looking for Andrew. There are smartphone apps so all you'd need is a car charger, secondhand smartphone and a PAYG SIM card then you could track it via another app or online.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/...efy-mb525-ee-c

That's the bottom end of the scale.

Top end would be something that is a concealed (by the installers) sat-nav linked and mobile network linked unit that i think you have to pay a subscription for.

https://www.trackershop-uk.com/car-trackers.html

Gives you a lot more info than i can here but one of the insurance approved devices is £649 + £199/pa subs (or £599 for lifetime ownership) or £17/month :

https://www.trackershop-uk.com/smart...5-tracker.html

Big price range there! From £2 plus a SIM card and £x per month just to keep the SIM card alive plus a charger to £850 ish for one that is fully installed etc.

Really is a case of you pays your money and takes your choce!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 01:31   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

Just dont get caught up with those tiny little trackers, far from accurate, also note, some methods will need a good view of the sky, have a look at Vodaphone, they do trackers low cost to buy and 2 to 4 quid per month

https://eshop.v.vodafone.com/uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 12:41   #5
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Ok, don't want to $4it on your parade or run the car down but why a tracker?

In my opinion if a 7 series gets stolen its to joy ride or banger race, there's no big market for parts and the cars aren't particularly valuable. My advice is to spend the money on immobiliser / alarm system so the car can't leave in the first place.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 13:14   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Ok, don't want to $4it on your parade or run the car down but why a tracker?

In my opinion if a 7 series gets stolen its to joy ride or banger race, there's no big market for parts and the cars aren't particularly valuable. My advice is to spend the money on immobiliser / alarm system so the car can't leave in the first place.
You've more or less said what i was trying to say with the post above where the cheap ones can be had for tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing but the best trackers are almost a grand to have installed etc with the subs etc included.

You've just put it a bit more bluntly!

I do happen to know Andrew has an immobiliser so the next idea would be an alarm or possibly an alarm/immobiliser to add extra protection. Most come with central locking outputs too so he'd need a solenoid for the drivers door and drive that from the alarm outputs which would then operate the rest of the OE central locking as if the key had been used.

Even a "false alarm" flashing LED connected with +ve to the incoming terminal on the ignition switch and the -ve connected to the switched ignition or accessory circuit so it flashes when the key is returned to position 0 and/or removed would be a good deterrent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flashing-...V/283635323555

Depending where you want to mount it, an LED panel mount clip may be needed, they are available in the listing as a "bezel" for about 30-40p extra.

With either of your scenarios for theft of a 7/9xx, any obvious hindrance to the car being lifted in the first place is usually enough to put those people off - after all they can pick up a scrapper for a few hundred quid, strip it and sell the parts to make their money back, race it and then weigh it in legally without the grief of potentially being caught doing it or trying to hot-wire an immobilised car.

Similar applies to joy riders.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:33   #7
bob12
bob12

Last year my original 'Kroklok' which I had had since being the proud owner of an Austin 1100 succumbed to age with all the plastic falling off due to uv degradation over the years.

I replaced it with a Streetwise steering wheel lock for about £18. It's heavyweight, a highly visible deterrent and I find it very satisfactory. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering Wheel Lock.jpg (77.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by bob12; Feb 7th, 2020 at 19:13.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 17:04   #8
TonyS9
Premier Member

If you want some basic cheap protection, just hide a bluetooth Tile in the car. £15 from argos. They seem to have the biggest market.

Just works from the crowd on their phones detecting it, if there is one with 60m or more if you go for the pro version. You get alerted if its detected.

Batteries claim to last >1yr typical 5, but are easily changed.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 19:37   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Last year my original 'Kroklok' which I had had since being the proud owner of an Austin 1100 succumbed to age with all the plastic falling off due to uv degradation over the years.

I replaced it with a Streetwise steering wheel lock for about £18. It's heavyweight, a highly visible deterrent and I find it very satisfactory. Bob
Good but. The pedal you fix it to might not be hard to bend to remove the device.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 20:06   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Good but. The pedal you fix it to might not be hard to bend to remove the device.
The one Bob shows doesn't attach to a pedal, i think you're thinking of the other sort :

The wise owner will use the brake pedal rather than the clutch pedal, less travel if a potential thief tries stamping on the pedal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: