Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF removal

Views : 4310

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2016, 21:32   #1
BigG85

Default DPF removal

Hey guys how do things stand with the DPF removal. I've been offered a remap and DPF delete where they will remove the internals of the DPF on my 2008 s40 d5 and map out the DPF.
The DPF will still appear to be there and the person doing the remap assures me it will pass emissions.

I know this is still naughty but in your opinions will it
A) pass an MOT like this
B) be worth it (how reliable are the D5 dpf's and will the cope with a remap)
And
C) what are the benifits other than not having the DPF to go wrong
BigG85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 21:41   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

D5 dpfs are very reliable and maintenance free. As you know it shouldn't be done but that's your choice. I personally would leave it there if your doing the millage to warrant a diesel then why worry about it. Once thing to keep in mind is the government have brought in the new rules with dpfs making sure they are present. The next step is to make sure they are functioning. Just think how much it will cost to get Volvo to reload the software to your car and fit a new dpf

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 22:03   #3
BigG85

Cheers pal, any idea if running a remap will be detrimental to the dpf ?
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 19:31   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG85 View Post
Hey guys how do things stand with the DPF removal. I've been offered a remap and DPF delete where they will remove the internals of the DPF on my 2008 s40 d5 and map out the DPF.
The DPF will still appear to be there and the person doing the remap assures me it will pass emissions.

I know this is still naughty but in your opinions will it
A) pass an MOT like this
B) be worth it (how reliable are the D5 dpf's and will the cope with a remap)
And
C) what are the benifits other than not having the DPF to go wrong
Oddly enough removing or gutting a DPF is a criminal act because it is a breach of the emissions laws. If you alter or mod most car systems incorrectly, the worst case is that you invalidate the insurance or breach civil law, but anything to do with pollution is different.
The MOT inspector might not notice, but it would make the car very difficult to sell and if you did not inform the next owner then you could find yourself subject to a fine if the next owner reported it.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 21:36   #5
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

IF I were contemplating such a action as suggested, Id get a DPF and mess with that, keeping the original to go back on. I prefer a tuning box to a remap, its removeable and doesnt bugger up the car.

Looks like BUGGER isnt on the naughty word list
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 17:42   #6
tiredted
I've Been Banned

Be aware stricter regs are coming into force shortly to measure soot particles in addition to the current visual check to confirm the DPF is fitted , Problem being of course DPF are being gutted and left in place

Reinstating a dpf and the software isnt going to cheap
tiredted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 20:04   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

I know a lad who's just spent quite a lot of money putting his D5 back to standard after making it worse by modifying it. Other than the moral question of removing the DPF, do you want to spend money with some backstreet tuners only to then have to spend more to rectify it when/if it goes wrong!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 04:38   #8
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Cheers pal, any idea if running a remap will be detrimental to the dpf ?
It will be ok, With the egr switched off regeneration intervalls will be doubled due to less sooth in oxygen rich enviroment
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 16:04   #9
BigG85

Thanks everyone for your input decided against the dpf removal in the end thanks to your advise just weighing up the options between a remap or a tuning box
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 17:21   #10
Rem Zuk

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input decided against the dpf removal in the end thanks to your advise just weighing up the options between a remap or a tuning box
Hey, BigG85, so what did you do in the end? I have just bought a C30 2.0D 2007 (53000 miles) and considering my options...
As well, what actions should be taken to minimise the possibility of having DPF clogged and EGR going out of order?
Rem Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rem Zuk For This Useful Post: