Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed MOT

Views : 1792

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2009, 20:17   #1
apat

Unhappy Failed MOT

Hello,

I have an 04 S60 D5 60K miles which has just failed its MOT on excessive play in the steering track rod end nearside and wishbone mountings/bushes defective both sides. Are these standard problems and are they a diy fix? Also where do I get parts other than from the stealers?

Thanks
apat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 23:44   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

Yes its all standard stuff for the age of the car but seems a bit early considering the low mileage , my v70 wishbones needed replacing at about 115k miles , used QH as they were cheap and still happy with them at 135k but just after I found that Volvo had complete wishbones on special offer for not much more than the QH . Track rod ends also cheap enough , you can do the whole lot yourself although you may need to pay to have the tracking checked , would recommend using Volvo parts as some of the cheap ball joints use poor quality rubber shrouds which perish within 12 months whereas the Volvo rubber will last .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 00:41   #3
tenpastnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by apat View Post
Also where do I get parts other than from the stealers
Might be able to find all the parts you need on ebay, make sure there new of corse and make sure you not paying such high P&P that you may aswell had gone to a dealer.
tenpastnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 20:19   #4
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Hello,

I have an 04 S60 D5 60K miles which has just failed its MOT on excessive play in the steering track rod end nearside and wishbone mountings/bushes defective both sides. Are these standard problems and are they a diy fix? Also where do I get parts other than from the stealers?

Thanks
Was the MOT done by a Volvo speclialist or any old MOT place ?

The reason I ask is because those bottom wishbones have a load of play in them out of the factory. Have you had a look at them yourself ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 21:04   #5
apat

MOT was done in N. Ireland which is a fairly thorough examination. However I checked the wishbone bush on the driver side and the rubber has all but disappeared. I can't see any movement in the track rod probably because I'm not putting enough force behind it! Why would the bushens in the wishbone need replacing at only 60K miles if others last 100K? Do I replace the complete wishbone or bushen only?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 21:50   #6
apat

where do I get genuine parts cheaper rather than from volvo?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 21:53   #7
toolbah
Master Member

Talking

Ive been quoted £60.09 inc vat from main dealer for wishbones for my S80!!!
It aint worth *issing about with replacing just the bushes for that price.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 21:59   #8
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
where do I get genuine parts cheaper rather than from volvo?
I'm fairly sure there's a chap on here that might be able to help. Rufe I think.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 19:49   #9
apat

Is it worth putting poly bushes in the wishbone? If so can any tell me some more about them? Are they easily fitted etc?
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 04:41   #10
Steve-T5

Quote:
Why would the bushens in the wishbone need replacing at only 60K miles if others last 100K? Do I replace the complete wishbone or bushen only?
Perhaps a previous owner kicked it's **** in on the bends etc and wore them out quicker
Steve-T5 is offline   Reply With Quote