Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement CAT for a 1998 V70R

Views : 1126

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2023, 22:58   #11
AndyT5

I have one for sale off my '97 T5 - pretty sure it is the right part (straight flange). Volvo part fitted as a replacement - only been on the car about 70k miles / 9 years.
AndyT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT5 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 11:20   #12
El Padrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongs View Post
I had quite a time trying to find a replacement for mine last year.
Between many places advertising the correct [art and then not being able to source or them just being too cheap.
Volvo tried but could not find either.
In the end, the fact the rest of my exhaust was old and the back boxes also starting to split combined with the CAT cost from Skandix and postage, made me decide to just replace the entire exhaust with a stainless one and sports CAT made in same route as the original. So far so good.
Expensive but in the end was less hassle.

If your CAT can be mended, that's the route I would take!
Thanks aarongs, I'll see if the CAT can be mended first. Which sport CAT and exhaust did you go with on your car?
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 11:21   #13
El Padrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
https://www.gcp.se/en_eur/products/8602991

Maybe fire off an email to see if they'll be restocked.

Looks like the genuine CAT is manufactured by MTS Italy.
Thanks Baffler, that looks like a very good website for parts.
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 13:00   #14
aarongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Padrino View Post
Thanks aarongs, I'll see if the CAT can be mended first. Which sport CAT and exhaust did you go with on your car?
Hi,

I got a full custom exhaust. Made by Stainless Creations.

I recall its a pretty universal CAT they used, think it was the 200 cell Magnaflow CAT. Not what I would usually have gone for but needed doing pre MOT and that's what they recommended using. Its hilariously smaller than the original - like maybe a 5th on the size at the biggest. Emissions are fine, same as before (but my CAT was breaking down).

The exhaust itself is slightly bigger bore but I asked them to replicate the original route - not the easiest option but what I wanted. It was cheaper (still over a grand) than finding a decent CAT and getting it and the rusting back boxes replaced. Plus, no-one could fully assure me the CAT they were sending was the correct part for a 1998 R with AWD, even the different garages though they might have to order a couple and see what was correct. As I say, MOT was due, I needed car and didn't have time to mess about with the potential of incorrect parts arriving.

I would have preferred genuine parts but couldn't find.
I am really happy with the exhaust though and it sounds good on full throttle but quiet otherwise.

And now sadly have to sell the car as it is not LEZ compliant and Edinburgh introduces fines within 6months. What a shame! Its a great car.
aarongs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aarongs For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 21:24   #15
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Padrino View Post
Thanks Baffler, that looks like a very good website for parts.
It's Volvo's Genuine Classic Parts warehouse in Sweden which your main dealer will use to obtain parts...if available. It's a great site, just as Skandix is, but the problem is there is low demand on many parts so they're not being replenished.

Perhaps increased demand from owners may see some parts being restocked, hence why I mentioned to send them an email, but I reckon they would require a large number of requests before issuing an order. Unfortunately, we are then left with no option but to source aftermarket.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 11:22   #16
El Padrino

Quote:
Hi,

I got a full custom exhaust. Made by Stainless Creations.

I recall its a pretty universal CAT they used, think it was the 200 cell Magnaflow CAT. Not what I would usually have gone for but needed doing pre MOT and that's what they recommended using. Its hilariously smaller than the original - like maybe a 5th on the size at the biggest. Emissions are fine, same as before (but my CAT was breaking down).

The exhaust itself is slightly bigger bore but I asked them to replicate the original route - not the easiest option but what I wanted. It was cheaper (still over a grand) than finding a decent CAT and getting it and the rusting back boxes replaced. Plus, no-one could fully assure me the CAT they were sending was the correct part for a 1998 R with AWD, even the different garages though they might have to order a couple and see what was correct. As I say, MOT was due, I needed car and didn't have time to mess about with the potential of incorrect parts arriving.

I would have preferred genuine parts but couldn't find.
I am really happy with the exhaust though and it sounds good on full throttle but quiet otherwise.

And now sadly have to sell the car as it is not LEZ compliant and Edinburgh introduces fines within 6months. What a shame! Its a great car.
Hi aarongs, thanks for that information on the exhaust you had custom made. What sports CAT would you have gone for instead of the 200 cell Magnaflow? Couldn't Stainless Creations custom make you a sports CAT? Is your exhaust from the turbo back?

How was keeping the original route not the easiest option?
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 11:43   #17
aarongs

Hi,

Did you get it sorted?
I had heard Magnaflow are not the best sports cats but did not have time to look into it massively. Stainless Creatiosn were confident in them and it being more than good enough for the job so I went with it.
Yeah, its a full turbo back exhaust.
The route - they figured there was an easier way to route things over the rear axle and to the two back boxes but agreed to just keep it standard and follow the current, original route. They were concerned it might knock as it came over the rear axle but it does not.

Hope that helps. Sorry I took a while to reply!
aarongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 21:05   #18
El Padrino

Quote:
Hi,

Did you get it sorted?
I had heard Magnaflow are not the best sports cats but did not have time to look into it massively. Stainless Creatiosn were confident in them and it being more than good enough for the job so I went with it.
Yeah, its a full turbo back exhaust.
The route - they figured there was an easier way to route things over the rear axle and to the two back boxes but agreed to just keep it standard and follow the current, original route. They were concerned it might knock as it came over the rear axle but it does not.

Hope that helps. Sorry I took a while to reply!
Hi aarongs,

Thanks for your reply with the handy info. Haven't got mine sorted yet, as she needed other ugrent attention ie bad wheel bearings. Whilst she was having the bearings done at the indy, they said my CAT was too far gone to be welded I contacted a Powerflow dealer for a quote and need to take the car in for an accurate quote. The guy I spoke to said he wouldn't recommend a 200 cell sports CAT, best to stick to a 400 cell to keep it near original. They use CATs by Top Gear.

Sorry to hear you have to sell your car due to the ULEZ in Edinburgh. I bet you're heartbroken. I hope you find her a good home to be cherished.