Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lights flashing as if alarm is going off, but it isn't?!

Views : 5032

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2014, 21:14   #1
yoda960
Volvo 960

Default Lights flashing as if alarm is going off, but it isn't?!

Hi Chaps

Have a wierd issue in that we have returned to the car a couple of times to find the lights flashing as if the alarm is going off, but it isn't audible. Anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what the heck is going on?

Cheers!

Yoda960
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 21:20   #2
Orca2
I've Been Banned

Does your alarm actually make a noise if you set it off, sounds like alarm module is kcnackered, my V70 had this too, battery pack in the sounder leaks and takes out the circuit board, an easy fix if you can find a scrappy one .
Nuisance alarm sounding is a symtom of circuit board damage .
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 21:26   #3
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
As orca says, sounds like your alarm sounder is goosed.
Not quite sure why your alarm is triggering however, a fault with the sounder doesn't cause random alarm triggers.
If you have interior motion sensors, set the alarm with the drivers window down, and wave you arm around inside, this will set off the alarm. If just the hazards flash then the sounder is US.
Cheers
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 07:55   #4
yoda960
Volvo 960

Thanks for the tips chaps. Will try and set the alarm off, I did this yesterday by locking the car and giving the car a shake but it didn't go off (no lights flashing etc, so will try the wave my arm around inside with window down method )

Bit of conflicting info in the two posts above though - will a leaky battery in the sounder pack cause the alarm to go off randomly? (even though it might not sound)

Cheers!
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 08:30   #5
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Well, my V70 does the same, if I lock it with the blipper. No noise, but hazzards flash after a short time. After I get a 'check vehicle alarm activated' message.
I also had 'alarm system service required' message.
Pretty sure the alarm module battery has had it, they are good for about 10 years. Once the alarm battery is dead, the module will take power from the main battery, so if left for a few days you could end up with a flat battery.
I have pulled fuse 38, disactivating the alarm module to stop any chance of it draining the battery & I lock with the key.
Still comes up with the alarm service message, only way to clear that is to replace the module, its plug and play so no reset of computer needed.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:05   #6
Macabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
Well, my V70 does the same, if I lock it with the blipper. No noise, but hazzards flash after a short time. After I get a 'check vehicle alarm activated' message.
I also had 'alarm system service required' message.
Pretty sure the alarm module battery has had it, they are good for about 10 years. Once the alarm battery is dead, the module will take power from the main battery, so if left for a few days you could end up with a flat battery.
I have pulled fuse 38, disactivating the alarm module to stop any chance of it draining the battery & I lock with the key.
Still comes up with the alarm service message, only way to clear that is to replace the module, its plug and play so no reset of computer needed.
Got the same with my V70, pretty sure it's the alarm siren module too. However I haven't pulled any fuses out, my battery doesn't seem to be getting drained, and mine has been like this since I got it back in Feb, and probably for a long time before that.
Once I've cleared my credit card, I might get it fixed.........
Macabre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macabre For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 11:00   #7
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda960 View Post
Hi Chaps

Have a wierd issue in that we have returned to the car a couple of times to find the lights flashing as if the alarm is going off, but it isn't audible. Anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what the heck is going on?

Cheers!

Yoda960

It is completely normal......nothing wrong.

As it happens my V70 did this last night as a very loud motorbike went past the house with a blown exhaust.........it set off my alarm and the flashers were flashing 20mins later and my neighbour had to tell me about it as it will flatten the battery.

The flashing is to alert the owner that the alarm has been triggered while you were away from the vehicle........you can go around checking that no one has broken any locks to try and break in!........

You should also notice the LED on the dash will blink fast, returns to normal after unlocking etc.

If the LED flashes fast for 15 secs on ignition being turned on then there is a fault.

It`s all in the Volvo handbook.

.................................................. ...........

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Jun 10th, 2014 at 11:04.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 19:22   #8
yoda960
Volvo 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post

It is completely normal......nothing wrong.

As it happens my V70 did this last night as a very loud motorbike went past the house with a blown exhaust.........it set off my alarm and the flashers were flashing 20mins later and my neighbour had to tell me about it as it will flatten the battery.

The flashing is to alert the owner that the alarm has been triggered while you were away from the vehicle........you can go around checking that no one has broken any locks to try and break in!........

You should also notice the LED on the dash will blink fast, returns to normal after unlocking etc.

If the LED flashes fast for 15 secs on ignition being turned on then there is a fault.

It`s all in the Volvo handbook.

.................................................. ...........
No the alarm wasn't triggered though, my mrs had only parked it up a few mins before we noticed it flashing. No loud noises etc to set it off
The Following User Says Thank You to yoda960 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 19:41   #9
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

^^^^^yes mine too.... Last time I locked on the fob was in an underground car park, I got about 3 steps from it, lol. No one else about.

1st time was when I first got it home swmbo looked out the window to our parking area and asked why the hazards where flashing, lol.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 11:55   #10
Sharnletica

Have volve XC90 been sitting for few months put a new battery in hazards flash and don't turnof
Sharnletica is offline   Reply With Quote