Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Erad failure 2016 XC90

Views : 4896

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2021, 09:47   #1
mikeyd2008

Default Erad failure 2016 XC90

My ERAD has failed on 2016 XC90 Volvo have told me in writing that my warranty expired after 3 years. They are not willing to contribute anything towards replacing it. I see in this thread people have mentioned 4 and 5 years warranty for this. Can anyone provide any information i am living in Ireland but the car was imported from the Uk. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
mikeyd2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 13:35   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

There's a sticky thread at the top on the forum on this subject:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306789
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 15:13   #3
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd2008 View Post
My ERAD has failed on 2016 XC90 Volvo have told me in writing that my warranty expired after 3 years. They are not willing to contribute anything towards replacing it. I see in this thread people have mentioned 4 and 5 years warranty for this. Can anyone provide any information i am living in Ireland but the car was imported from the Uk. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
I have to say Thank You to Volvo for ensuring I don't make the mistake of buying a used Volvo T8 Hybrid.

A mistake I genuinely was going to make

Well done Volvo.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 15:32   #4
Chudy85
Volvo family member

I so sceptic if it is going about electric motor in car. But after this post I so happy that I wasn't even thinking about this.
Chudy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 17:01   #5
Polestar Pete
Polestar

To balance this out, not all T8s suffer from this issue.

If you care to look on pretty much any car forum on most makes/models long enough, you're going to find some scare story or other that turns people away from buying one.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 17:39   #6
Bullydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post

If you care to look on pretty much any car forum on most makes/models long enough, you're going to find some scare story or other that turns people away from buying one.
Lexus Hybrids probably the exception especially as when you have a Hybrid health check it extends the warranty for another year. I have a 2014 CT200 that has another year comprehensive warranty on the Hybrid system.
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 18:29   #7
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullydog View Post
Lexus Hybrids probably the exception especially as when you have a Hybrid health check it extends the warranty for another year. I have a 2014 CT200 that has another year comprehensive warranty on the Hybrid system.
You also need to bear in mind the OP advises that Volvo (Ireland) are refusing to contribute towards the cost of repairing a vehicle initially procured from Volvo (UK). No idea whether the two companies are connected but, if they're not, I can understand why they would say no. Might be worth the cost and hassle of making contact with a Volvo (UK) dealer and considering transporting the car back to the UK for repairs (with a Volvo (UK) contribution), or asking Volvo (UK) to contribute towards the cost at the relevant Eire dealership.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 10:24   #8
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post

The ERAD system is THE component which makes the T8 (or twin-engine) variant what it is. If the failure is so unusual and extrodinariily unexpected, and thereby affect only a very small number of cars then you'd think Volvo would be quick to apologise and replace it foc.

If as it may transpire, the problem is a known one, and one which could affect any of these variants at any time, then accepting liability for it would be very costly - hence Volvo are distancing themselves from doing so.

Anyone buying a used T8 should bear this in mind - it isn't like a mechanical component which can have its working life prolonged through regular maintenance.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 11:00   #9
TeamG
Master Member

This thread has been a useful prompt to me also to never consider any of the Volvo twin-engine options in the future, just like any current used fully electric options (where battery degradation can potentially effectively scrap one at 6-7 years old).
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 11:44   #10
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
This thread has been a useful prompt to me also to never consider any of the Volvo twin-engine options in the future, just like any current used fully electric options (where battery degradation can potentially effectively scrap one at 6-7 years old).
I'm similarly sceptical about hybrids - but I reckon battery failure at 6-7 years is unlikely to be a problem in the medium term (even if it is a problem now) as people will figure out how to recondition batteries and extend their life as the market grows.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote