Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

headlights wont adjust

Views : 1845

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2019, 22:16   #11
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi, Checked the rods and sockets which were not tight. Adjusted the hexagonal screw to raise the beams and they were perfect. After a while decided to try the levelling switch and beams lowered and raised but not as high as I had set them. So I need to raise them again. It would appear that whatever height the beams are set, the levelling motors will lower to a pre-determined level. Would you guys know whether this is correct. thanks jack.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 21:38   #12
Stumo

It states in the Haynes “book of half truths” to only adjust if the switch is set to zero, which it sounds like you had it on. My thinking -the motors run for a predetermined time, and if they start at a height should return to that height. My only thoughts would be if the adjusters have a portion of damaged thread on the drive gears and ‘free wheel’ . Adjust them again and see if they are immediately moving reflectors and there is no extra turning to engage them ie gears are meshed. Also nothing is loose internally. At this stage it might pay to remove them from the car.

Best of luck 👍🏻
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 02:19   #13
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Stumo, Thanks very much. Am taking the car to my mechanic on Monday and he will align the beams first and then move the levelling switch up and down to see whether the beams return to the height at which he originally set them. Should they be lower he will remove the fuse from the motors and re-set the beams. I can replace the fuse just prior to itv [mot ] and remove it thereafter. I don't tow a caravan so never need to use the levelling switch and just keep it on "o". Want to avoid having to remove h/lights due to bumper having to be removed to get to the lower nut.Thanks again for all your help. jack.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 08:57   #14
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Want to avoid having to remove h/lights due to bumper having to be removed to get to the lower nut.Thanks again for all your help. jack.
Eh? News to me, never heard of a P1 V70 where the bumper has to come off, it's a Volvo not a VW! Headlight removal is super easy on these, or is there something that's significantly different on your car? Normally just 3 x bolts on the back (all fairly easy to get at) and the lamp connectors and out it comes.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 09:31   #15
volvo again
Master Member

Set the headlight levelling switch to 0 (normal setting) then adjust the lights using the hex screw on the adjusters
You should then only have to use the levelling switch if you have a heavy load in the boot, to lower the beams
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 10:11   #16
Stumo

Jack, as luxobarge says the bumper doesn’t have to come off at all- see earlier posts.
Sounds like a great plan to get your mechanic to align the headlight to mot specifications , and as Volvo again said, just don’t use the level adjustment switch. See what your mechanic finds - hopefully a solution presents its self.💡
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 17:06   #17
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Guys, Many thanks yet again. The guy who fitted my h/lights said he had to remove the bumper. I shall say no more but have taken on board what you say.
Mechanic has today set levelling switch to "0" and using the hexagonal adjuster set the beams to ITV [ MOT ] requirements. I am going to leave the switch well alone.
Very many thanks to you all for your time,trouble and expertise. jack