Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 325426

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 11:25   #31
LordSVS
Volvo Geek

Sat here reading my police report from yesterday. No, I'm not in trouble.

Scott
LordSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 13:58   #32
Thom12
Master Member

I've spent the day writing a report on ECDIS (Electronic Charts) for the Nautical Institutes Journal Seaways.. Should have done it yesterday but i was too lazy, now i've lost this fine Sunday ... anyway ...

Time for a coffee and a wee biscuit.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 15:23   #33
LJD
I've Been Banned

G3'd my car

Its a rubbing compound rather like "t-Cut .But cheaper and better

I love how you really see the old ingrained dirt come off. Nice rinse and tomorrow evening i will use a "old skool" tin wax to polish the car. hate these new liquid resin type waxes !! Paint does really feel "flatter" after a compound rubbing .

And visited the "Ace cafe" this morning to show little one the bikes etc ! Great fun, but the food is getting very poor value ....
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 15:51   #34
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Performed an ATF 'blood transfusion' dropping 5liters of old manky blood and swapping it in for fresh. I do this with every third oil change, which I also did today too.

The drain plug was covered in a few cm's of metallic goop. Considering engineering a larger (pole) magnet for inside the sump to catch more crud.

While I was about draining out crap fluid and replacing, I also did the PAS reservoir (empty with syringe and refill) I will do this again in a couple of months. Old stuff was manky!

My very expensive drip catching funnel.

I can always tell when the car needs an oil change, it gets a little smoky on cold start-up. After a change the smoke is gone for another six months or so.

Chris...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Advanced Funnel Technology.jpg (111.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg ATF Blood.jpg (78.8 KB, 179 views)
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 10:10   #35
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Question

OOh, gray reservoir cap. Is it not causing you problems yet Chris?

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 10:56   #36
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
OOh, gray reservoir cap. Is it not causing you problems yet Chris?

My 850 T5 had a grey reservoir cap, Never had any problems with it.
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 10:58   #37
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
fitted new drop-llinks...hopefully these ones will last longer than the last ones did!!!!
bump to add the pics

y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to y2blade For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 03:19   #38
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Parking Brake shoes

Howdy, Today I replaced the parking brake shoes on my 2002 V70 base. The job is pretty much what you'd expect. Of the 4 brake shoes, only one had lining. Fortunately there was no destruction of any part of the hub. My car has 138,000 miles and I'm certain the shoes were original. I want to report that this job can be done by anyone willing to try it. You'll need the 4 shoes, the hardware kit which consists of the 2 retainer springs and 2 return springs and normal supplies. The only "advice" I'd offer is to have a pair of good quality long nose pliers and/or long nose vice grips to hook the heavy return spring in place. All the details have been laid out, with photos, on this board. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:21   #39
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Well, I may have an interested buyer for my 850 who wants a cheap runaround till they get a campervan they're after. I knew I had some holes in my cat so I put the car on the ramps last night and got the front of the cat unbolted very easily. Next was to undo the clamp at the rear, usually a 1 minute job, never had a problem before, but not this time, bolts and nuts rotted away after 2 bad winters. An hour later after grinding the clamp in two, I got the thing off. Nightmare. Just by sheer coincidence my mate who can weld walks past walking his dog down the cycle track and I mention that I have some holes I need filling and he says, bring it round and I'll do it now! Top marks, an hour later, cat has only two holes. (One at each end). Just need to re-fit now. Btw, the last time I had to take the cat off to replace the exhaust manifold I had a similar experience with rounded nuts. It took me 5 hours to get the top right bolt off as it was in a really awkward position and I had to drill the head off it. Exhausts are horrible rusty dirty things and best left alone to expensive dancing men in blue overalls.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2012, 15:55   #40
Ovlovt5

Today I tackled my first ever oil and filter change. The job probably took me three times longer than it should, but I was paranoid about getting the car on the axle stands safely - didn't fancy two tonne of Volvo coming down on me. I was surprised how easy the job was to do and have already ordered another set of oil and air filters for the next one. I have no formal training and have never been taught by anyone else, so it was a leap of faith armed with Haynes manual, this forum and some informative you tube videos.
I will definitely keep doing them myself.

Best part was that it was really enjoyable to do!
Ovlovt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ovlovt5 For This Useful Post: