Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BP ultimate diesel

Views : 10185

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2012, 13:56   #1
Topspeed

Question BP ultimate diesel

Some of you might say it's a placebo effect.
But I garantee it's not. The other day filled at Tesco using the 5p discount, did my run around went home and parked the "rocket".
Next day started the car and it took a fraction of time more to start (wierd I tought), and it continued to do so even after it was warm.
To cut a long story short, I used all the fuel and filled up with what I know is good, BP ultimate, and no I don't work for them.
After the fuel worked is way trough the system, on the next morning it started well and on the spot again.
What do you Volvo addicts think?
Topspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 14:23   #2
weedeno belfast
weedeno 2003 v70 d5 se

Smile i only use bp and from one station

I don’t use ultimate but what i can say isi use bp standard and i get around 100-150 more miles on it from likes of Tesco people say diesel is diesel and same rule with petrol but what i have to say and know (uncle fixes pumps in delivery station) when a Tesco tanker goes to fill up it fills up in the same place as a BP tanker etc same for all stations i live in Belfast there is only one place in the docks you can get it from so the big question how’s it different plus price diffs well they all have a card a bit like a credit card it goes in and it tells the machine what additives to put in same way ultimate is made you can get the diesel stuff and petrol stuff in a good motor factors done by millers oils diesel additive millers oil additive for petrol
weedeno belfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 14:24   #3
Jetmech

Well we usually fill up at Sainsburys, I have used BP ultimate on several occasions, but I honestly didn't notice any significant difference. Except in my wallet!
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 14:29   #4
Topspeed

I work all day with diesel engines, and i can tell that fuel is very important.
Its not just fuel.
Cetane number is the key measure of diesel fuel combustion quality. The number relates to the ignition delay - the period that occurs between the start of fuel injection and the start of combustion. Good quality combustion occurs with rapid ignition followed by smooth and complete fuel burn. The higher the cetane number, the shorter the ignition delay and the better the quality of combustion.
As it happens BP has one of the highest cetane readings available in the UK.
The Following User Says Thank You to Topspeed For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 16:35   #5
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspeed View Post
I work all day with diesel engines, and i can tell that fuel is very important.
Its not just fuel.
Cetane number is the key measure of diesel fuel combustion quality. The number relates to the ignition delay - the period that occurs between the start of fuel injection and the start of combustion. Good quality combustion occurs with rapid ignition followed by smooth and complete fuel burn. The higher the cetane number, the shorter the ignition delay and the better the quality of combustion.
As it happens BP has one of the highest cetane readings available in the UK.
What is Shell V-Power Diesel like? I have started using it and again have seen a slight improvement in MPG.
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 19:29   #6
Digidick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
What is Shell V-Power Diesel like? I have started using it and again have seen a slight improvement in MPG.

So have I and interested to know.
Digidick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 20:14   #7
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

2 MPG per tank on a 2.0D for me with V Power.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 20:36   #8
Topspeed

I can only vouch for Bp Ultimate, due to the fact that I don't have access to Shell Vpower to use on my vehicles.
Having said that there are reports of excessive black smoke on VAG engines.
My consumption with Bp ultimate went up by 2.8 miles per gallon on a mainly urban circuit.
But my main concern is the "health" of the engine. Cleaner fuel means cleaner emissions less internal residue and ultimately a cheaper maintenance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Topspeed For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 21:57   #9
d5sport

as said bp is well known for good quality fuel, i dont notice in my d5 but when i had a mondeo tdci i noticed a difference in shell/bp/asda, bp was always best
d5sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 09:39   #10
jayhl7

Cool

so which is the best diesel that wont break the Bank? do the additive's work well in tesco's etc diesel? and will it be better for the engine or should the premium fuel be used? of the supermarkets who has the best Diesel? j
jayhl7 is offline   Reply With Quote