Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tesco diesel in d5

Views : 14844

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2014, 21:56   #11
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Ethanol fuel is causing havock with the small engine industry! It attacks fuel lines, fuel tanks any sort of diaphragm or seal so god knows what it's doing to cars! I'm a Briggs and Stratton master tech and when I was last at Briggs we saw how fuel was taking small layers of plastic from the fuel tanks and lodging them in the carbs ect.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 02:03   #12
tickedon
Master Member

I hate the Tesco fuel. Always found MPG to drop, either petrol in my old Focus or Diesel in my S60 now. Also found Morrisons hit or miss (once used a whole tank on a journey that normally used a bit less than a half).

I find Sainsbury's fuel to be the sweet spot in terms of MPG and cost at the moment.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 11:25   #13
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
Now, the next can of worms - should we really be growing food crops to distill into petrol when there are people in the world going hungry ?
Let those that are hungry grow food crops to feed themselves and we will buy their surplus. Perhaps then we wont have to send them millions in aid every year.
Mean while, we can grow bio fuels ...
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 12:24   #14
Rossey

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
In general terms cetane boosters don't work too well AND Acetone is an absolute no go additive for any diesel or petrol fuel system. It can degrade the fuel tank sender unit and the seals inside the high pressure pump if used long term.

Bio diesel is a very good natural solvent, so the fuel system and injectors will stay clean. Alas it has a much higher flashpoint than normal diesel so is bad news if it contaminates the engine oil, as it does not evapourate off much when warm.
Pure Bio from a farm might clean well AND is an excellent lubricity additive for normal diesel, BUT that does not mean it does not get dirty.
It also has a lower gell point in winter, so most users either switch to winter diesel, or if they are far enough South just mix it 50/50 with a good winter diesel.
The other winter option is to use an anti gell (It stops wax forming in the fuel filter) fuel additive.
The ratio i use acetone it wont damage anything, but it does breakdown the surface tension of the fuel.

It would only contaminate the engine oil if the engine was knackered and had blowby.

Farm?
I produce it myself.

Winter is just add 5-10% petrol
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 14:40   #15
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Containing the bare minimum of additives and low cetane rating I prefer not to use supermarket fuels as they are of very low quality compared to the main brands like BP and Shell.

However, if I am forced to use it due to running low on fuel and the nearest fuel station is Tesco's for example, I add 100ml of 2-EHN (99.5%+ pure high performance Cetane booster. http://www.trinity-research.co.uk/pr...products_id=49) to every 25l of diesel. This increases the fuels Cetane rating to a level my car appreciates and 25l is more than enough to get me to a branded fuel station like Esso, Shell or BP.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 18:18   #16
D5C30

I run my cars on nothing other than Shell V Power. Noticeably better MPG and power/throttle response, even from a 1.4 petrol a few years ago. I have tried a lot of the supermarket stuff in past cars and didn't appreciate the effects on the engine such as lower mpg.

I once put esso in as well and it seemed to disappear from the tank like it was leaking.
D5C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 19:16   #17
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5C30 View Post
I run my cars on nothing other than Shell V Power. Noticeably better MPG and power/throttle response, even from a 1.4 petrol a few years ago. I have tried a lot of the supermarket stuff in past cars and didn't appreciate the effects on the engine such as lower mpg.

I once put esso in as well and it seemed to disappear from the tank like it was leaking.
That's a real good fuel. There is no need to use fuel additives if you use high quality petrol or diesel, unless you already have gummed injectors or a bad tank. Even with gummed injectors they will recover to some extent if you use fuel from a major oil company, although some Sunday morning motorway time also helps.

The general public have been brain washed to think all fuels are the same, when there is a big difference in both the base fuel and the additives. Gumming up injectors or using a low power density fuel can also be a waste of money.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 19:57   #18
CJL
Master Member

Don't mean to turn this in to and additive thread, but I've started using Diesel Rhino additive in my Hilux pickup. I think it has made the engine smoother and quieter, but what I can say for sure is that it smokes a lot less. Before if you floored it, you could see lots of smoke in headlights behind, but now it's pretty clear.

Surely if it smokes less, it must be better for the engine?
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 22:09   #19
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Don't mean to turn this in to and additive thread, but I've started using Diesel Rhino additive in my Hilux pickup. I think it has made the engine smoother and quieter, but what I can say for sure is that it smokes a lot less. Before if you floored it, you could see lots of smoke in headlights behind, but now it's pretty clear.

Surely if it smokes less, it must be better for the engine?
Depends why it's smoking. If you only get smoke when booting it, then it might just be some crud in the CAT and EGR from too much time at idle. That type of minor issue stops after a good motorway session, otherwise smoke is always bad news to some extent, the white or grey variety in particular.

At present there are far too many companies making fuel additives and many of them do not have the test equipment or even data base info to figure out if they will cause long terms issues with HP pump seals or fuel tank sensors.
Seems expensive at 18 quid for 500ml:
http://www.dieselrhino.co.uk/

In general terms it's best to buy fuel additives from a major oil company or a large US additives producer. The companies I like for that are Lubriguard, Redline, Amsoil, BG and Liqui Moly. The Rhino add company can only afford a one page web site so far!
It seems to be similar to LM Diesel Purge, this is the Rhino TDS:
http://www.dieselrhino.co.uk/DR_Prod_Desc.pdf
A bit short on actual contents info, such as flashpoint, light oil or solvents used or viscosity. 18 quid for half a liter is a lot for what might just be Bio diesel or kerosene.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 9th, 2014 at 22:18.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 12:04   #20
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi
i have been using millers diesel clean power plus for the last 10 years but with morrisons fuel . I've done 217000 miles now just had the injectors changed all 6
this engine is not the most economical as a lot of you will know but its very reliable for me and the 940 estate is ideal for my job as a carpenter .
i get millers diesel clean in 5 litres and put in 20mls to 60 litres fuel .
i did try shell fuel but i could not get a real increase in fuel economy .
but I've always used the same additive
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote