Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tesco diesel in d5

Views : 14939

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2014, 17:48   #41
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
  1. Yet you previously quoted it as 31 MPG?
  2. As I said earlier, rather than trying to remember what Diesel I put in at the last stop, I simply write down the fuel I put in at that fill up! So on 9/8/14 I filled up with 10.98 Gallons (or 41.58L) of Tesco Diesel, which is more than half of my 70L tank. I then traveled for 510 Miles before filling up with Shell Regular Diesel! Do you understand this now? To know what fuel I was using for any entry, you need to look at the notes for the previous fill up!
  3. 38 MPG is the combined consumption for the Manufacturers own unrealistic figures given for economy. According to Honest John Real MPG figures I am achieving what a majority of owners achieve and is quite far off what Volvo claim.
  4. Good for you!

The link you post for the weight has the "Min. kerb weight, kg (actual kerb weight dependent on spec.)" as 1,774 kg for a D5 GT. Now mine has various options which add weight and I've had it on a weighbridge and it came out as 1,860kg. (There is a picture of this in my showroom thread). I have also had it on another weighbridge where it was 1,840kg. Now as these weighbridges measure to the nearest 20kg, we can assume that my car (with about 3/4 tank of fuel) weighs around 1,850kg. If you really want to quote weight figures with me, try using actual measurements rather than vague manufacturer quoted figures!

And whilst we're on about quoted figures, can you provide evidence of your claimed MPG from Fuelly or similar tracking mechanism. If you read through my notes, you will notice that my cars claimed average MPG is usually 1-2 MPG above the actual figure. Your info centre is hardly ever accurate and can be quite optimistic at times.

ps, on the Fuelly snap shot posted above, entries 10 & 11 are duplicates and I have now deleted one of them!
As long as your happy, it makes no difference what I think or quote.

Every now and again I fill up and keep the receipt. Then work out the mpg from the miles its done. Its usually 1 or 2 less than the info on the dash. I think my car does quite well for its size and weight. I just expected yours to do better ...
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 17:54   #42
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
Perhaps you should read all of it next time ...

(actual kerb weight dependent on spec)

As previously stated, my 2004 XC90 weighs close to 2700kg due to its spec, almost a ton more than Simons V70 ....

The complete premium sound system alone weighs close to 150kg ..
In which case, since max gross weight is 2720kg, your vehicle has a payload of 20-30kg?

How useful.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 18:00   #43
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
In which case, since max gross weight is 2720kg, your vehicle has a payload of 20-30kg?

How useful.
Good point ... lol ...

There's a weigh bridge not far from me, I'll get it weighed, find out exactly how much it weighs ..

Last edited by Shadeyman; Aug 12th, 2014 at 18:02.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 20:37   #44
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Perhaps you should read all of it next time ...

(actual kerb weight dependent on spec)

As previously stated, my 2004 XC90 weighs close to 2700kg due to its spec, almost a ton more than Simons V70 ....

The complete premium sound system alone weighs close to 150kg ..
Not having time to do the full research, I can only assume that the 150kg weight for the premium sound system comes from the Volvo accesories page. If that is the case then you appear to be suggesting that the standard XC90 does not come equipped with a stereo at all!

Otherwise what actually is the case is that the kit consist of several speakers and a head unit, which replace the items already fitted, which means your replacing items with similar items.and not actually adding to the car. If there is any addition, it will be due to superior sound systems having a couple more speakers and a subwoofer, in which case the actual weight gain will only be in the 20-30kg range.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 22:05   #45
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Surely it can't be possible that the sum of the components in a vehicles sound system could way anywhere near 150kgs!!
I use good quality hi-fi at home (mission & cyrus) so I know speakers, amps and cable can be heavy......but 150kgs......really?

Unless there is a lot of sound deadening material in the doors ??

Last edited by younger06; Aug 12th, 2014 at 22:09. Reason: An afterthought!!
younger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 10:39   #46
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Good point ... lol ...

There's a weigh bridge not far from me, I'll get it weighed, find out exactly how much it weighs ..
i weighed my 2006 d5 exec in at the local scrap yard when I had a load of metal to get rid of last year and from memory with the weigh in/weigh out receipt i am sure that it was either 2250kg or 2350kg with just me on board me - and I was around 100kg then (lost a bit since).

I reckon I was pushing 3000kg on my way back from holiday fully loaded with 18 cases of wine on board too, family of 5, 4 bikes and luggage.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 21:30   #47
brickman
Premier Member

Just been over Europe to Croatia/Bosnia/Slovenia, not only is there diesel (the truck quality stuff) around 95-105p a litre, even the cheapest dirtiest looking fuel station vend's fuel thats given me at least 5mpg more, car was also notably more powerful, less smoke, less 'diesel' smell, and much more 'clacky'/knock noises evident before boost comes on.

Caning it across Germany/Austria, basically did 850 miles of 70>120mph @ WOT then cruising at 90-110mph, some contraflow and 50mph stuck behind trucks etc, but with 4 people and a mountain of stuff in the boot the car did 50.5mpg tank to tank.
Taking it more easy on a & b road's with 2-4 people in the car it managed 58mpg over a whole tank.
In the UK if I try really really hard with 1-2 folk in the car, a roads I can just about eek out 60mpg on the trip, but by the time its the end of the tank it is inevitably more like 45-52mpg no matter how hard I try.

Our diesel in the UK sucks!
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 23:30   #48
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
Just been over Europe to Croatia/Bosnia/Slovenia, not only is there diesel (the truck quality stuff) around 95-105p a litre, even the cheapest dirtiest looking fuel station vend's fuel thats given me at least 5mpg more, car was also notably more powerful, less smoke, less 'diesel' smell, and much more 'clacky'/knock noises evident before boost comes on.

Caning it across Germany/Austria, basically did 850 miles of 70>120mph @ WOT then cruising at 90-110mph, some contraflow and 50mph stuck behind trucks etc, but with 4 people and a mountain of stuff in the boot the car did 50.5mpg tank to tank.
Taking it more easy on a & b road's with 2-4 people in the car it managed 58mpg over a whole tank.
In the UK if I try really really hard with 1-2 folk in the car, a roads I can just about eek out 60mpg on the trip, but by the time its the end of the tank it is inevitably more like 45-52mpg no matter how hard I try.

Our diesel in the UK sucks!
The best diesel in Germany is from the very common Aral stations (Owned by BP), if you can't find that then Shell are also good. After that, it's time to think about where you put the spare fuel filter and number for the ADAC !!

I used to buy cheap diesel in Austria, but gave up because it seems my fuel filter does not get dirty using Aral or Shell. I checked it after 20K km and it looked like new!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 02:23   #49
volvorocks
Rodney

I found once when we drove through Europe back early 2000, that mpg was better in the car. Probably due to using branded fuel over there as here in UK I was constantly using Tesco fuel coz it was cheap.

Since which time I only use supermarket fuel in 'an emergency'

A point worth noting for you people that drive high performance cars, is that there is (imo and experience) a HUGE difference in performance when using a branded fuel rather than a cheaper supermarket fuel.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 10:49   #50
brickman
Premier Member

I found ARAL to be the cheapest too.

In Croatia the difference between the standard fuel and the better one with additives was between 0.7 and 1.2 euro cent's. Both were worlds better (in the short term, did ~4500 miles) than UK diesel.

I think two day's of bahn'storming have helped de-coke the engine, which will have likely made a difference too.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brickman For This Useful Post: