Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593787

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2019, 11:37   #2241
ChrisFromFrance

How did they fixed the valves ?
Did your engine burn oil before the fix ?
Regards Chris
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 11:45   #2242
SeaShell

Chris,

EML light came on relating to the EGR cooler and valve. As part of the recall they replaced the inlet manifold and at the same time did a cylinder pressure test which it failed.

Car went back in approx 5 weeks later and head was removed with valves replaced and re-seated.

Not sure of the final cost.

I didn't note any extra oil consumption.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 17:25   #2243
ChrisFromFrance

Hello
Today low performance (tortoise) plus Engine light (P00BC code).
The engine didn’t run smoothly, lots of failed at low rpm.
Regards
Christophe
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 17:43   #2244
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromFrance View Post
Hello
Regards
Christophe
Possibly the EGR valve sticking open? https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2508394
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 01:12   #2245
Jslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromFrance View Post
Hello
Regards
Christophe
I thought you already had big engine work done by the Volvo not long ago?
Is it happening again?
Jslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 07:56   #2246
manka2009

Hi guys

Recently acquired 2015 xc60 from a dealer and the EML light came on within a couple of weeks of acquiring it - disappointingly. It's been defined as an intermittent fault with the EGR valve. Marshalls of Nottingham has agreed with Volvo that they'd repair it under a goodwill gesture as, it seems like a common issue, even though it is out of warranty.

They've advised to wait for the light to come back on before we take it to be repaired again. My preference would be to get it sorted asap but I if I take it to Marshalls to be diagnosed would it even show an error code if the EML has been cleared off now? I've noticed that it is sometimes slow to respond to the pedal but I'd just put this down to moving to an automatic - is that fair or could it be the EGR and how'd you prove that if the code is cleared?

The dealer has offered to cover the diagnosis cost but they'll only stand that cost once so I don't want to take it to be diagnosed if they aren't going to be able to find any fault...does that make sense?

Thanks
manka2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 08:05   #2247
Prav

Default Volvo xc60 egr issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty88 View Post
Hi all, first time posting.
I recently purchased a ‘new to me’ v60 d4 r-design that developed a check engine light that was P04D9 and had an engine performance reduced message displayed on the drive home. Unfortunately, I bought the car in Wigan and I live in the north of Scotland so it’s not the easiest to deal with the garage to sort the warranty. They allowed me to take it to a local garage who told me what I already knew about the check engine code being an egr fault but when they looked they said it appeared to be a brand new egr valve and there was a rusty pin on a multi-way plug so that was cleaned off and test drove with no fault. I took the car back and within 10 miles the light is back.
Anyone have any ideas?
Hello Scotty88,

Just saw your post about your Volvo egr issue. I recently bought one too, back in August and now having the check engine light on. I read the code and it is indeed the same code as yours. I bought mine from a private dealer. Did Volvo fix yours free of charge? Mine is out of warranty long time ago. I am thinking of complaining to Volvo hq and make a big fuss about it hoping that they will help. Could you please let me know what was your outcome with Volvo.

Thank you
Prav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 08:39   #2248
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manka2009 View Post
Hi guys

Recently acquired 2015 xc60 from a dealer and the EML light came on within a couple of weeks of acquiring it - disappointingly. It's been defined as an intermittent fault with the EGR valve. Marshalls of Nottingham has agreed with Volvo that they'd repair it under a goodwill gesture as, it seems like a common issue, even though it is out of warranty.

They've advised to wait for the light to come back on before we take it to be repaired again. My preference would be to get it sorted asap but I if I take it to Marshalls to be diagnosed would it even show an error code if the EML has been cleared off now? I've noticed that it is sometimes slow to respond to the pedal but I'd just put this down to moving to an automatic - is that fair or could it be the EGR and how'd you prove that if the code is cleared?

The dealer has offered to cover the diagnosis cost but they'll only stand that cost once so I don't want to take it to be diagnosed if they aren't going to be able to find any fault...does that make sense?

Thanks
There is a specific diagnostic trouble code (P04D9) that relates to insufficient EGR flow... While it might be the valve sticking shut it would more commonly indicate the EGR cooler becoming blocked. Has your cooler ever been replaced? You can tell from the radiator top hose, if there is no T-piece in it then it's been replaced with the later 'improved' (less cooler) cooler.

When my EGR valve failed, it failed open... this gives a severe loss of power, making the car undriveable. However this problem did begin earlier that day with a lack of throttle response when moving away from a standstill. No dedicated code for this problem, but I did get several error codes relating to MAF being lower than expected which I correctly interpreted as indicating a stuck open EGR valve whilst waiting for Volvo recovery (I'm sad enough to keep a cheap OBD2 reader in each of my cars!).

If there is an ongoing problem then it is quite likely that pending/unconfirmed DTCs are being registered, even if the engine warning light is not coming on. If you know someone with a basic OBD2 code reader then it may be worth asking them to have a look.

The good news is that Volvo will replace the cooler under goodwill at no cost to you. I had to pay 50% towards the EGR valve, although maybe now this is also 100% covered by goodwill?

Last edited by Zebster; Nov 4th, 2019 at 08:52.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 08:59   #2249
manka2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
There is a specific diagnostic trouble code (P04D9) that relates to insufficient EGR flow... While it might be the valve sticking shut it would more commonly indicate the EGR cooler becoming blocked. Has your cooler ever been replaced? You can tell from the radiator top hose, if there is no T-piece in it then it's been replaced with the later 'improved' (less cooler) cooler.

When my EGR valve failed, it failed open... this gives a severe loss of power, making the car undriveable. However this problem did begin earlier that day with a lack of throttle response when moving away from a standstill. No dedicated code for this problem, but I did get several error codes relating to MAF being lower than expected which I correctly interpreted as indicating a stuck open EGR valve whilst waiting for Volvo recovery (I'm sad enough to keep a cheap OBD2 reader in each of my cars!).

If there is an ongoing problem then it is quite likely that pending/unconfirmed DTCs are being registered, even if the engine warning light is not coming on. If you know someone with a basic OBD2 code reader then it may be worth asking them to have a look.

The good news is that Volvo will replace the cooler under goodwill at no cost to you. I had to pay 50% towards the EGR valve, although maybe now this is also 100% covered by goodwill?
Thanks for replying, appreciate it. When they read it it said that it was a problem with the EGR valve flow as you've suggested and didn't reference the cooler at all. I'll check the pipework later. There were no other error codes on the print out.

I have a bluetooth reader that I bought for my other car with an android app but never actually used it. Could I use this with the Volvo? Otherwise, I can take it to my local mechanic and ask them to take a look if not.

The dealer suggested volvo would cover the entire cost of replacement but not sure whether they'd have to foot any other part of the bill. Obviously, keen to get this sorted whilst it is still under the dealer 30 day warranty if I can, but apparently its logged on the volvo customer service system anyway.
manka2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 09:31   #2250
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manka2009 View Post
Thanks for replying, appreciate it. When they read it it said that it was a problem with the EGR valve flow as you've suggested and didn't reference the cooler at all. I'll check the pipework later. There were no other error codes on the print out.

I have a bluetooth reader that I bought for my other car with an android app but never actually used it. Could I use this with the Volvo? Otherwise, I can take it to my local mechanic and ask them to take a look if not.

The dealer suggested volvo would cover the entire cost of replacement but not sure whether they'd have to foot any other part of the bill. Obviously, keen to get this sorted whilst it is still under the dealer 30 day warranty if I can, but apparently its logged on the volvo customer service system anyway.
A basic Bluetooth ELM327-type interface and an Android app is all I ever use these days... the free 'Car Scanner' app is very good when the connection profile is properly set up and it can even read my DPF and engine oil level sensor data. The free 'Torque' app is simple to use for basic code reading. Get yours up and running!

There's no pipework to check, I understand that the cooler is basically a sealed box. And fiddling about with it may affect Volvo goodwill (which is excellent in this particular regard)... Doesn't matter where you bought your car, it'll still be covered (I bought mine at a local auction with no warranty whatsoever).

Btw, I am assuming that you have the 4-cylinder VEA engine? None of my posts in this thread relate to the older 5-cylinder engine.

Last edited by Zebster; Nov 4th, 2019 at 09:33.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote