Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Chamber operating arm

Views : 83161

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2010, 22:19   #61
judgeman

Default Swirl arm repair - failed fuel pump

Hi All,

Reading these posts with interest. My parents live in France and have an XC70 D5, I believe bought new from Volvo main stealer in France in 2007.

They had the swirl arm problem last year, which Volvo 'sorted' during a scheduled service. Then earlier this year it failed again, but just out of warranty were quoted around 900 euros to repair - but after much complaining got this down to about 500 euro after 'good will' gestures from Volvo.

The swirl arm was replaced about 6 weeks ago. Then last week, the day before they were due to come back to blighty for Christmas, the car kept stalling when getting out of the garage, and only made it about half a mile down the road before cutting out completely and not wanting to budge. Car towed to a nearby garage who diagnosed a dead fuel pump. (parents don't do a great deal of driving now retired).

Question is - Is it possible that when Volvo had the car in to do the repair to the swirl arm they could have done something (inadvertently?) to cause the fuel pump failure? It seems a bit of a coincidence that it has failed so soon after the Volvo main stealer repair.

As a Volvo owner for 17 years myself, and over 4 years with D5 engines (currently a 163bhp XC90, so no swirl arm), and it's not something I've heard about (failed fuel pump) in that time, or remember seeing on the Volvo forums.

I'm not sure if they replaced the whole arm assembly, and so possibly removed the fuel pump? Or could they have run the pump dry during the repair somehow?

Would appreciate any help/guesswork/surmising anyone can give on the matter as parents are looking at another expensive repair on a car just over 3 years old which is crazy.

Cheers!

Chris.
’05 XC90 D5 S 76k
Previously
’56 V50 D5 Sport 31k
1996 855 T5 GLT 144k
1988 240 GLT Estate 2.3ltr 169k
1996 854 T5 S 134k
1995 440 SE 2.0ltr 135k
1995 440 Si 1.8ltr 70k
1985 340 GL 1.4ltr 144k
The Yellow Peril in Oz - 1982 244 GL 2.3ltr 250k
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 08:55   #62
Clan
Experienced Member

when they did the First swirl repair did they just fit a metal pin to make a quick repair ? They would do this if in warranty ... Its not a well designed repair ..
If it happened outside of warranty they would be wise to take the top cover off the engine and fit a new swirl rod and arm , you wont have any further problems with these new parts ...
Which fuel pump... the electric one in the tank or the main high pressure one on the engine? Neither would have been affected by the repair ..
Its bad luck by the look of it ..
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 10:06   #63
scapa
I've Been Banned

Volvo are welll aware what a poorly designed item this arm is why dont they do the decent thing and recall every car affected and fit the modded part.

Its a disgrace that owners are having to fork out hundreds of pounds because they could not design a vital component that was fit for purpose.
scapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 23:33   #64
ScottV70

Default Engine System Service - Swirl Arm Broken

Well, let me join the ranks of the many people who seem to have experienced the Engine System Service Required message caused by a broken Swirl Arm. Here is my tale, as narrated to Volvo Cars Customer Relations today:

"Dear Volvo Cars
I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with the reliability of my Volvo car.

On 23/4/10 I took the vehicle to the Volvo dealer because there were two separate warning messages on the display. They were “Engine System Service Required” and “SRS Airbag Service Urgent”. The garage performed diagnostic checks and repaired the “Swirl Throttle Arm”; they removed debris from the seatbelt buckle and erased the error codes. Cost £146

On 19/9/10 the car was returned to the Volvo dealer because the “SRS Airbag Service Urgent” had recurred. The seat belt buckle was replaced. Cost £244

On 11/3/11 the car was again returned to the dealer because the “Engine System Service Required” had recurred. Diagnosis indicates that the Swirl Throttle Arm assembly is again broken, requiring work to “clean egr valve”, “clean out manifold” and “replace Swirl Discs”. Estimated cost £649.

I have discussed the estimated cost of this latest repair with the dealer. It is my opinion that it should be repaired under warranty from the earlier repair. Certainly, a second charge for fault diagnosis should not be incurred. They have agreed to share the labour cost of the repair 50:50, bringing the cost to me down to ~£447, which I appreciate.

Throughout this period there has been recurring problems with the “Tailgate Open” message incorrectly appearing on the display, generally coinciding with random triggering of the alarm.

This is my third Volvo, having previously owned a Volvo 345 and a Volvo V50, both of which were excellent vehicles. The reliability of the V70 is far from satisfactory.

As a member of the Volvo Owners Club Forum, it is obvious from messages posted by a large number of other Volvo owners that the “Swirl Arm” is a known fault with the V70, and possibly other vehicles in the range. This particular V70 was a Volvo fleet car which we purchased directly from the Arnold Clark Volvo dealership in Aberdeen, in January 2007 with ~20,000 miles. Current mileage is 44,000 miles.

I would greatly appreciate it if Volvo Cars UK could make a goodwill gesture towards the cost of this repair at my local Volvo dealership."

If I hear anything I will let you know.
ScottV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottV70 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 20:45   #65
kenny37

Question replacement arm

like many other my swirl arm is broken where it attaches to the motor and in the 7 months i`ve had it had no problems but during this diy service i decided to change it but volvo have supplied an arm with a socket on both ends?(whereas the current has one ball and one socket) and also sent a fixing kit of a pin and 2 lock washers what these are to do i dont know but are ther 2 types of arm and they`ve sent the wrong one or is the replacement bodged to fit?
kenny37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 20:55   #66
Clan
Experienced Member

The arm they have given you is the latest improved type , but to use that you have to change the swirl throttle itself in the head . That is the best option .
They can supply you with the correct arm you need ... but it may fail again later.

The pin and washers are a warranty fix , not a very technical fix at all !

so you have those 3 options to fix your throttle .

A 4th option which i would do is go to a model shop and get a metal ball joint and sockets and make my own permanant fix , much like the throttle linkage arm on a B20 engine in a 140 ...
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 07:52   #67
kenny37

thanks clan looks like its a we chat with rufe again
kenny37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 22:41   #68
ScottV70

Default Volvo Customer Care contribution to cost spare parts

Update from Volvo Customer Care: They agreed to pay 50% of the cost of replacement Swirl Arm and discs, and the dealer paid 50% of labour cost. Dealer invoices Volvo direct. Estimated cost £649 (!) actual cost to customer £302. Still not happy but I am not a mechanic.
ScottV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 18:23   #69
cbr1100xx
cbr1100xx jockey

Thumbs up swirl arm (old style)

arm at engine broken, ball broken from end of arm. After looking at replacement of new arm realise that the "ball" is hollow. ie it is the weak link in the linkage.
I have filled the ball arm end with arildite to bolster it's strength.
Will see if it cures the problem.

Was wondering if most break at this side of the arm or is it 50/50 either end.
I know about the motor regulating every 5 times but can see the weakness in the design.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 19:16   #70
ertjies34

Exclamation Help please, need part number...

Hi, can anybody please give me the part number for the Swirl Valve Assembly?
ertjies34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ertjies34 For This Useful Post: