Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Chamber operating arm

Views : 83151

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2013, 13:01   #71
musicmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5NI View Post
Mine broke on Sunday night - 2 months out of warranty! Seems to be same failure - plastic 'ball' (as in ball and socket) snapped off the operting arm at the engine end.

Symptoms initially were 'engine system service required' warning on the DIM but all seemed to be running OKl until following day - pulling out to overtake there was a major flat spot around 3,500 RPM.

Found this write-up on the volvo diesel - http://www.ae-plus.com/key%20topics/cc-Volvo-news3.htm

The relevant extract is: -
'As was the case on the previous diesel powertrain, air swirls in the cylinders' combustion chambers. The use of a new electronically controlled multi-throttle system in the inlet ports allows for infinitely variable regulation of the swirl level, and combustion can be adjusted extremely accurately according to the driving situation and the current engine speed and load.'

So that's what the swirl valve does and hence the performance issues when it's broke!

Having read through forum I have opted for a DIY repair by making a pin (from an old nail and trursty dremel) and then glued the ball on with araldite.
Performance is back to normal, but warning still flashes up on start-up.

Does anyone know if this will clear or is it a trip to the dealers to reset the error codes (or possibly purchase a BSR PPC Code Reader)?
Here are the codes found on my V70 D5 caused when the link arm becomes detached from the operating lever on the engine side

I had "engine management service required" message on the dash and this was cleared with my code reader and it also stated no codes found but a full diagnostic revealed the ghost codes listed below these were cleared and no other messages found

18A0 Swirl Activation Control
BSF Mass Airflow Sensor
28DO Heated Oxygen Sensor
1507 Turbo Control Low pressure
2BAA Particulate Filter

Whether or not all the codes apply I'm not sure and Like previous Comments there was a loss of power when exceeding 3k and if kept below 3k revs it's quite drivable with reasonable economy when the arm is replaced everything works as it should but I will have to sort out a stable repair for the worn ball on the engine side operating lever or buy the modified repair kit

Hope this helped regards MM
musicmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 17:13   #72
musicmutt

Here are the codes found on my V70 D5 caused when the link arm becomes detached from the operating lever on the engine side

I had "engine system service required" message on the dash and this was cleared with my code reader and it also stated no codes found but a full diagnostic revealed the ghost codes listed below these were cleared and no other messages found

18A0 Swirl Activation Control
BSF Mass Airflow Sensor
28DO Heated Oxygen Sensor
1507 Turbo Control Low pressure
2BAA Particulate Filter

Whether or not all the codes apply I'm not sure and Like previous Comments there was a loss of power when exceeding 3k revs and if kept below the 3k revs it's quite drivable with reasonable economy and powe when the arm is replaced everything works as it should but I will have to sort out a stable repair for the worn ball on the engine side operating lever or if it can be repaired at all

UPDATE

I Have just found out there are TWO types of Swirl link Arm ,, one with a ball and socket and one with TWO Sockets (dumbbell shape) as fitted to my 2006 V70 D5 so if the ball on the lever throttle disc lever is worn and according to my Local Volvo dealer the whole throttle disc assembly has to be replaced with Volvo part number 30 777 650 (£94.80) + Cam Cover gasket (18 ?) ,, he also advised caution when removing/replacing the Injector fuel lines that go over the cylinder head as they may leak if not seated properly after replacement as these would cost an additional £98 and against removing the Throttle Shaft Disc Arm completely

Hope this post helps
musicmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 14:37   #73
jinja

Default Swirl Link on V70

Hi I have just carried out the modification of the swirl link without removing any thing and cost me just £6.24 for the kit.
You need the following: 2/32 drill, 4.5 ml socket, universal and flex extension plus the ratchet. Cut the drill 15 mm plus the depth of the socket. Blank the centre hole in the socket with BLUE TAC. Buy metal bond from Halfords. Mix and secure the drill in the socket. Undo the rocker cover one screw to get more space. Unclip the electrical plug from the water temp bulb. Drill the link on the bench. Then put the link in the cam and drill through the cam. File the head of the pin flush to get extra clearance from the casing. Also file to flat side of the cam flush. Assemble the pin and link.Super glue the lock washer to the 7 mm socket and push it on the pin holding the pin flush at the cam end. Use both the lock washers provided in the kit. The Volvo dealer wanted £465.00 which I have saved.You can buy the drill from Volvo dealer @ £23.04. Pt 9814117
Pt.no for the kit: 31293291
For pictures send me your email id @ mayur.baxi@yahoo.co.uk
jinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 12:43   #74
jinja

Default swirl arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
does anyone know if this is possible, as i have noticed today that mine in broken.

Hi

I have just modified my v70 05 swirl arm. Send me the pic and the I can give you the info. Email mayur.baxi@yahoo.co.uk
jinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 16:29   #75
axor59

Default swirl linkage arm

I was told by Volvo, during a 'free' health check, that my swirl linkage arm was broken, and the car would not pass an MOT due to the fact that the emissions would be thrown 'way out'. Volvo quoted me £600 to fix the problem.
The car passed it's MOT the following day. Apparently the tolerance for emissions is 1.5%. Mine sailed through at 0.5%.
I fixed the problem myself yesterday. The linkage arm socket at the engine end was not clamping the ball joint so I drilled a 2.5mm hole through the arm and, using a heated up nail, made a hole through the socket, then joined the two parts with a split pin. I had to cut the head off the split pin as it fouled at the engine end so I simply bent the pin over at both ends.
Total cost of repair was 1 x 3mm diameter split pin (I purchased a box of 500 assorted off ebay for less than £5), heat from blow torch, and less than 15 minutes of my time.
Hope this helps.
axor59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to axor59 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 16:49   #76
Pop

Unhappy Swirl Rod

Hi, everyone, new to Volvo and this forum.
I just had a service too with free health check at Volvo main dealer in Ipswich.
:err::chatterbox:After the list of stuff to do was gently laid on me, I rushed home to find out what a "swirel rod" was....
Now I Know. However, thought those of you who have contributed (with many thanks) above might like to know the price of repair by main dealer here is now £891.24 and they want the vehicle two days to do it!!
Might just be getting the dremmel out.......
Considering the comments above I am surprised Volvo haven't recalled vehicles, modified the parts etc.
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pop For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 17:44   #77
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Surely this has to be classed as a design fault and not just a consumable part!!!
"not fit for purpose" springs to mind.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 18:37   #78
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
Hi, everyone, new to Volvo and this forum.
I just had a service too with free health check at Volvo main dealer in Ipswich.
After the list of stuff to do was gently laid on me, I rushed home to find out what a "swirel rod" was....
Now I Know. However, thought those of you who have contributed (with many thanks) above might like to know the price of repair by main dealer here is now £891.24 and they want the vehicle two days to do it!!
Might just be getting the dremmel out.......
Considering the comments above I am surprised Volvo haven't recalled vehicles, modified the parts etc.
The parts were modified in around 2007 the male and female sockets were swapped around on the quadrant , the later ones are much better but can still fail .
Volvo have a cheap fix , a pin and 2 spring grip washers you buy for about £4 from the dealer .you drill a hole through the faulty ball joint and arm and the pin holds them together for a while ..
I think garages are loath to do this rather than a proper repair , because if/when it fails they might be liable to pay to have it repaired properly .
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 18:06   #79
s60ricasport

I just had my swirl mechanism and fuel pipes replaced by the dealers. Cost me 540 quid and that was including a 10% discount
s60ricasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 15:36   #80
Crucial

Cool Cheap job at indy

My '06 V50 D5 started flashing up "Engine System Service" warning with throttle to floor at speeds over about 50MPH...i.e. over about 3500 RPM. Power would drop right off so a bit worrying as car would end up slowing down typically when overtaking... Lift off and all would be okay again so long as I was easy on the throttle. Message would reappear every time engine started until I'd made about 3 trips without triggering the message.
Eventually took it into my indy garage who spotted a swirl valve actuator arm was broken. About £4 for replacement part and half an hour's work to fix. Car now goes like the clappers again.
Crucial is offline   Reply With Quote