Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.5 T5 engine reliability

Views : 19280

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2016, 14:38   #1
philrocks

Default 2.5 T5 engine reliability

Hi guys,

What is the reliability like on the 2.5 T5 engines?

I have read stories of the liners splitting when tuned, but it all seems to be from 2010-2012, cant really see much more recent issues.

I intend to get mine stage 2 mapped at some point.

Wondering is it safe to do so.

Cheers,
Phil

Previous Volvos: Volvo S40 1.9d

philrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 18:10   #2
dme123
Master Member

That has happened on V70R cars that use the same block and a high pressure turbo, the low pressure turbo on the version of the engine your car has doesn't really suffer that issue. The only reason you'd need to worry about it and get liners put in the block is if you change the turbocharger.

You see it happening with heavily modified Ford Focus STs using this engine so you can find lots of info on the owners forums for that, they are far more likely to be heavily modified than the LPT 2.5T in a Volvo - V70/S60R aside the real performance 5 pot Volvos used HPT 2.3 and 2.4 engines.

Considering the traction problems the C70 has with even a normal remapped T5 or D5, and it's rather lardy nature I'd be inclined to get an MTE or Polestar remap to fatten out the torque curve and enjoy it for what it is: a reasonably brisk cruiser.

ETA - I notice you have an SE Lux like mine. I found my car was noticeably better at getting the power down on broken or bumpy roads when I swapped the (admittedly much prettier) 18" wheels for 17" with 45 profile tyres. You can pick up a set of OEM 17" Volvo C70 rims for buttons, I got a brand new set with the factory fit Pirelli tyres for £270.

Last edited by dme123; Feb 19th, 2016 at 18:13.
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dme123 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 19:28   #3
philrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
That has happened on V70R cars that use the same block and a high pressure turbo, the low pressure turbo on the version of the engine your car has doesn't really suffer that issue. The only reason you'd need to worry about it and get liners put in the block is if you change the turbocharger.

You see it happening with heavily modified Ford Focus STs using this engine so you can find lots of info on the owners forums for that, they are far more likely to be heavily modified than the LPT 2.5T in a Volvo - V70/S60R aside the real performance 5 pot Volvos used HPT 2.3 and 2.4 engines.

Considering the traction problems the C70 has with even a normal remapped T5 or D5, and it's rather lardy nature I'd be inclined to get an MTE or Polestar remap to fatten out the torque curve and enjoy it for what it is: a reasonably brisk cruiser.

ETA - I notice you have an SE Lux like mine. I found my car was noticeably better at getting the power down on broken or bumpy roads when I swapped the (admittedly much prettier) 18" wheels for 17" with 45 profile tyres. You can pick up a set of OEM 17" Volvo C70 rims for buttons, I got a brand new set with the factory fit Pirelli tyres for £270.
Yeah, thats what im looking for in the remap, seems abit sluggish at low rpm, do need to get used to it coming from a diesel.

I have thought about going down to 17's, but I do really like the 18's. Did you find it helped with the turning circle at all? cant get a definitive answer as to whether the c70's have turning blocks for 18" rims.

Old Feb 20th, 2016, 17:43   #4
Volvophile
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
Did the S60R/V70R engine have more in common with the 2.5T than the traditional T5 block (dating from the 850)?

My understanding of the short block 2.5T in these cars is it was a 'Ford-ised' version of the bigger block that was in the P2 cars. It does not seem as strong as the older 5 cylinder engines for tuning.
Volvophile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 17:03   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

What is bhp you expecting from a stage 2? and is this with any added parts?

If you are on a MAP already I have been told that the Block needs to be shimmed and really as the next step before anything. From another guy with an S40 T5 Geartronic who took his S40 up to 458bhp. He split a liner and said to carry out the Shimmed block before anything else.

do you know what bhp you are running currently? before stage 2 I would also look at cooling / fueling before asking more power.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D

Last edited by domhart10; Feb 22nd, 2016 at 17:06.
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 17:23   #6
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvophile View Post
Did the S60R/V70R engine have more in common with the 2.5T than the traditional T5 block (dating from the 850)?

My understanding of the short block 2.5T in these cars is it was a 'Ford-ised' version of the bigger block that was in the P2 cars. It does not seem as strong as the older 5 cylinder engines for tuning.
Most of dme123 information regarding the engines is incorrect..
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 20:56   #7
philrocks

Its stock at the moment, except for the exhaust, but I need to also do the downpipe, and intercooler, and stage 2 should see me to ~280-300, not really looking for much more, and definitely not planning on going to 400.

I might settle for a stage 1, if that satisfies me enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
What is bhp you expecting from a stage 2? and is this with any added parts?

If you are on a MAP already I have been told that the Block needs to be shimmed and really as the next step before anything. From another guy with an S40 T5 Geartronic who took his S40 up to 458bhp. He split a liner and said to carry out the Shimmed block before anything else.

do you know what bhp you are running currently? before stage 2 I would also look at cooling / fueling before asking more power.

Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 09:12   #8
domhart10
Volvo S40

Ok well just incase you didnt know, the car wont pass MOT with downpipe. But I think all that you mentioned is stage one. thats what im running minus the intercooler. If thats what your after then yes your fine without having the block done, its what im on at the moment and so far so good.

The remap will see you with an addition 50bhp max so if someone told you your output will be 300bhp after the remap, id walk away really. Get a rolling road after the map as well to see what your remap actually got you.

I havent taken mine on a rolling road but I did 1/4 mile at santa pod
17 sec flat standard
14.5 sec after the work carried out (That should be where you are at after remap)

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D

Last edited by domhart10; Feb 23rd, 2016 at 10:57.
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote