Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 1.4 rough ans slow idling

Views : 53455

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2021, 11:28   #201
Two340'sman

Just realised, Bionic Beaver is 18.04 LTS, which I did try, but preferred the layout of Mint. Looks like you will have a couple more years of support.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 11:32   #202
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Any fuel in the sump will soon evaporate off once the oil gets hot , fortunately this isn't a problem on carburettor cars* as the engine will be undrivable if the float chamber suddenly floods , a rich idle wont harm anything due to the tiny amounts of fuel used and even the plugs will clean themselves up after some good running miles 👍

* = On injection cars fuel is pumped in regardless with some faults however and lots of cold starts and switching off will leave fuel laying around .
When the first Electronic fuel injection Volvo was launched in 1970 the new cars being shunted around in the Ipswich Raeburn Road compound and then at dealers premises all having lots of short period cold running , the sumps would literally fill with pints of fuel , part of the PDI was to drain and add new oil .
I suppose there is more chance of bore wear if mixture is rich for a long time. Never owned a car with injection, had a couple of company cars that had it (I think) The Capri 2.0 Laser and a very late Cortina 2.0 GL

Last edited by Two340'sman; Jul 16th, 2021 at 11:39.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 14:07   #203
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
I suppose there is more chance of bore wear if mixture is rich for a long time. Never owned a car with injection, had a couple of company cars that had it (I think) The Capri 2.0 Laser and a very late Cortina 2.0 GL
Those two Fords both used the Weber 32/36 DGAV carb, the only Capri with fuel injection was the Capri 2.8i using K-Jetronic injection. Even the Sierra (launched in 1982) took a while to gain fuel injection, if memory serves the first was the 2.0 GLSi and 2.0 Ghia i in about 1989/90 with the obvious exception of the XR4i that used the Capri 2.8i drivetrain.

I'm not including the Sierra RS Cosworth, that had EFi but wasn't really a mainstream model for most people.

I seem to recall seeing a messagea few months back when Bionic Beaver did an update that support would end in a couple of years. However i first started using LInux on the previous incarnation so i've already updated once to Bionic Beaver from whatever it was before - think it was the Yakkety Yak version but can't be sure.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 14:22   #204
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Those two Fords both used the Weber 32/36 DGAV carb, the only Capri with fuel injection was the Capri 2.8i using K-Jetronic injection. Even the Sierra (launched in 1982) took a while to gain fuel injection, if memory serves the first was the 2.0 GLSi and 2.0 Ghia i in about 1989/90 with the obvious exception of the XR4i that used the Capri 2.8i drivetrain.

I'm not including the Sierra RS Cosworth, that had EFi but wasn't really a mainstream model for most people.

I seem to recall seeing a messagea few months back when Bionic Beaver did an update that support would end in a couple of years. However i first started using LInux on the previous incarnation so i've already updated once to Bionic Beaver from whatever it was before - think it was the Yakkety Yak version but can't be sure.
Yes, got me thinking, looked at pics of Capris and Cortinas and they seemed to have carbs. Think auto choke though, perhaps this made me think it was injection. Never liked Cortinas, but this late one they had put a lot of stuff right, even the handling was not bad. The door locks were not up to much. Was in Brent X car park, did shopping and came out to car opened door and thought someone had stolen some of my belongings, was not my car I entered, was a similar red Cortina 2.0 GL. Quickly locked door and went over to mine!

Put a friend on Mint about 6 years ago and it has been pretty well trouble free. Just updated his PC to latest version as support for his ran out a while back.

Last edited by Two340'sman; Jul 16th, 2021 at 14:25.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 13:35   #205
Two340'sman

Several 10 mile round trips, and trips to Aldi, 340 still running perfectly. Seems to be in better condition than me!
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 14:00   #206
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Good to hear such excellent news!

This is another one of those "make sure of your basics" threads, shows how much a basic setting wandering slightly off can cause a lot of grief!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 14:13   #207
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Good to hear such excellent news!

This is another one of those "make sure of your basics" threads, shows how much a basic setting wandering slightly off can cause a lot of grief!
Absolutely, but strange that it was fine for about 10 years, me checking with CO meter before each MOT. No adjustment needed.

The trouble was me b****ring up my CO meter by connecting it reverse polarity to the battery.

At least I have one CO meter working now, thanks to Laird Scooby.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 19:24   #208
Two340'sman

About a year since I had the rough idle thing, can't believe it. Car has been going absolutely fine since then.

Yesterday was MOT time again, I was a bit worried, but it passed with no advisories.

CO reading = 0.94 %

Hydrocarbon = 40 ppm

I had to pay the ULEZ £12.50 daily charge to get to the MOT test station, but it was worth it.

But unfortunately, it looks like next year the ULEZ will expand into the area where I live, so I won't be able to use the 340 after that.

My 1962 Mini has been standing for something like 25 years, that will likely be tax, MOT and ULEZ exempt.

Last week I put some oil down the plug holes are tried to turn the engine, it felt stuck, but quite easily came free.

Next is to buy a new battery, rig up fuel and see if the engine runs.

The engine is a 1275 out of a Vanden Plas 1300.

Last edited by Two340'sman; Jul 6th, 2022 at 19:30.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 22:31   #209
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
About a year since I had the rough idle thing, can't believe it. Car has been going absolutely fine since then.

Yesterday was MOT time again, I was a bit worried, but it passed with no advisories.

CO reading = 0.94 %

Hydrocarbon = 40 ppm

I had to pay the ULEZ £12.50 daily charge to get to the MOT test station, but it was worth it.

But unfortunately, it looks like next year the ULEZ will expand into the area where I live, so I won't be able to use the 340 after that.

My 1962 Mini has been standing for something like 25 years, that will likely be tax, MOT and ULEZ exempt.

Last week I put some oil down the plug holes are tried to turn the engine, it felt stuck, but quite easily came free.

Next is to buy a new battery, rig up fuel and see if the engine runs.

The engine is a 1275 out of a Vanden Plas 1300.
that is a little weak for idle with a carburettor about 2% will give a smoother running on light throttle and better response when the choke is needed on a cold morning . ( max is 3.5% for MOT )
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 22:40   #210
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
that is a little weak for idle with a carburettor about 2% will give a smoother running on light throttle and better response when the choke is needed on a cold morning . ( max is 3.5% for MOT )
Thanks, I know it's a bit weak, but I wanted to be sure of am MOT pass. Last time I looked at the plugs (probably last year) they looked a good colour.

My friend's 1.4 340 went through the same garages MOT today, it passed, no advisories too. CO was 1.1% and the hydrocarbons a fair bit higher than mine, but still well within the limit.

Last edited by Two340'sman; Jul 6th, 2022 at 23:13.