Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air extractor drains

Views : 1002

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2022, 00:27   #1
142 Guy
Master Member

Default Air extractor drains

Under the rear window on my 1971 142 there is an air extractor. The air extractor has a boxed container pretty much the full width of the rear window with drains at either end. Drain hoses are attached at each end of the box and drain into holes in the hump over the rear axle. However, it is not clear where the drains actually go after the hoses are shoved into those holes. Are they supposed to drain into those formed channels / rails that run along the sides at the back of the car and exit out the back?

The reason I ask this is that last year when I had the car jacked up in front to do some work I noticed water slowly dripping out around a body plug in the floor - roughly below the back seat on the left side and perhaps 10 - 15 cm in front of the rear wheel. The plug is in a 5/8" hole. The plug is not shown in the attached parts diagram; but, the red arrow in the diagram below shows the approximate location.

I popped the plug out and about 100 - 200 cc of water came out. The hole goes into an enclosed cavity. The hole does not go straight through to the area under the back seat. I was poking around under the car this spring and it is not clear how the water got into that cavity unless it was coming from the air extractor drain. If that is the case, does anyone know where the air extractor drain is supposed to drain to and how you are supposed to get it to where it is supposed to go? If the water is not getting in there via the air extractor drain any suggestions on how the water might be getting in there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Body with arrow.JPG (70.6 KB, 9 views)
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 12:39   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Some/all, not sure about later ones, had air routed through the sills to the back and connected to the ventilation. This was supposed to keep the sills dry and rust free. A good idea but it wasn't very well implemented. I don't know if there actual sill drains on the 140. If this system is the same in the 164, that may be part of the reason they are prone to rust at the back end of the sills.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 18:18   #3
142 Guy
Master Member

The sills have drains. There is air flow from the front windshield cowl down to the little vent doors in the side of the passenger and driver side footwells. Any water that enters the front cowl drains down through those vent passages and exits through the drain slots in the sills. There is no real forced air flow through the sills short of what might occur if there was a venturi effect associated with air movement across the drain openings when you are driving at speed.

The hole where I had water come out is actually higher than the sill drain holes. Water would have to fill up in the sills to reach the elevation of this hole and I know my sills drain just fine so (sill and door drains get a regular check) so the water is coming from some place else.

I will have to yank the air extractor drain tube out and use my endoscopic camera to see if I can figure out where the drain is supposed to go.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 10:10   #4
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

There is no drain for any water that enters through the rear quarter window from what I could see if that is where you are talking about. The trouble also is the sill tapers down towards the quarter panel so water won't drain away easily into the bottom of the sill even if you drill a couple of holes in the top of the sill. Seems like a common place for 142s to rust.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 16:49   #5
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
There is no drain for any water that enters through the rear quarter window from what I could see if that is where you are talking about. The trouble also is the sill tapers down towards the quarter panel so water won't drain away easily into the bottom of the sill even if you drill a couple of holes in the top of the sill. Seems like a common place for 142s to rust.
As far as I can tell my sills are dry. The plugged hole where I had water leaking out is not in the sill; but, in the floor pan about 10 horizontally (toward the centerline of the vehicle) from the seam along the bottom of the sill. The hole has a rubber body plug in it so nothing is meant to drain through the hole. I had the back seat out and the inside panel off and that area is dry. The body cavity and under seat areas are stuffed with 3M acoustic insulation so If I had water ingress I am pretty sure I would have a smelly residual mess. As a result I don't think I have an issue with water entering from around the rear side window.

I am pretty sure the water is originating from that air extractor box under the rear glass. That extractor box has drains at either end and those drains disappear into holes in the arched floor over the rear axle. I just don't know where the drains go after they enter those holes.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 20:09   #6
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

You got a pic? I have my back seat out and rear side panels so can have a look when home. Not home until the 19th though.
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 00:12   #7
142 Guy
Master Member

Here you go

First picture is drain tube from left side of the air extractor box below the rear glass.

The second picture has an arrow showing the approximate location of the body plug in the floor pan where the water was coming out. The plug is badly out of focus because I was 'standing on my head' trying to get the camera to focus on something - obviously the wrong something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air extractor drain tube.JPG (84.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg drain plug.jpg (90.7 KB, 8 views)