Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1981 VOLVO 244 240 GLE LPG conversion tips?

Views : 2129

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 15:27   #1
ruby2

Smile 1981 VOLVO 244 240 GLE LPG conversion tips?

Hi there,
a friend said he thought the 1981 VOLVO 244 240 GLE 3 speed automatic
4 cylinder Petrol Multi-point injected 2.3L (2315cc) has hardened valve seats and could be converted to LPG gas/Dual Fuel.

I've searched all over the internet but can't find anything
about this model.
In Australia we have a $1700 Govt rebate for conversions until
June this year. But I don't think many Volvos are converted - they're not on any lists.

I wonder whether anyone has any experience with this?
If I have to tell the converters what kind of set-up/kit/special requirements
the car needs, does anyone have any tips for me?

Or does anyone happen to know a good place in melbourne Australia who knows what they are doing with volvos and lpg?

Regards,
ruby
ruby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 23:37   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Hi Ruby,

if you search through the LPg section you will see post from Aus (volvovic I think) with a 740 LPG conversion. The installers have struggled to convert the car mainly due to lack of experiance and knowledge.

I have converted many 240's and they do not give me any trouble because I know how to do it. I asume you have K jetronic mechanical injection at that age. If so it use simple to do but must be installed correctly or you will have problems. The 4 cylinder engines fitted 240 all have hard valves and seats and need no mods to run on LPG. I have a 240 hear now on 400,000 miles and was converted at 200,000 miles still on the original engine.

I'd be happy to talk to your installers and explain the exact fromula needed for making it work.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 08:00   #3
ruby2

Thanks Classicswede that's very generous of you. I'll start asking around for an interested installer. Cheers, R.
ruby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 20:37   #4
240lpg

Unhappy 240 lpg

i had 240 about 2 years ago that would only run on lpg as petrol side was broken i had loads of problems with the very cold weather and ended up selling it , i have just bought another 1989 240 and want to convert it to lpg .... any one know of anybody who might have a kit for sale ???? happy 240 owner again :-) many thanks mike .
240lpg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1981 244 gle lpg, lpg, lpg australia