Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gear knob

Views : 910

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2016, 17:47   #1
alistair kerr

Default Gear knob

I have a 52 plate V70 2.4t auto with geartronic transmission. The plastic lever(inhibitor button?) on the gearknob that allows you go into the park position from drive suddenly dropped out of the gear knob. On investigation I found that one of the plastic parts that a pin goes through had broken.
Could some one tell me how to to get the knob off so that I can fit a new lever?
Many thanks
Alistair Kerr
alistair kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2016, 20:42   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

If its just the button that failed, you don't need to remove the knob as the button assembly just slides out. It's best done with a proper trim removal tool to avoid damaging the gear selector knob but if you're careful you can just use a flat bladed screwdriver. There are instructions online if you can track them down.

Mine cracked as shown here:

You can get a new button unit for about £10 but I found the early type was tricky to get so in the end I just glued mine back together. The one on left was the replacement (which didn't fit) and mine was on the right:
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 06:06   #3
MWMan

As Simon mentioned, ,you may not have to remove the gear knob - but here's a "How to" that someone posted on the forum recently, for future reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gearknob.pdf (844.8 KB, 30 views)
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MWMan For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 15:16   #4
alistair kerr

many thanks.Great pictures. My button is the one shown on the left of your photo
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 21:14   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

If it's any use to you, you can have it for £5 + postage. No use to me as it doesn't fit. Cost me twice that much.

Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2016, 11:54   #6
alistair kerr

Default gear knob

many thanks for the kind offer. I would have bought it from you but had already ordered one by the time I had seen your offer.
Once again many thanks

Alistair Kerr
The Following User Says Thank You to alistair kerr For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 14:41   #7
Dude

Thanks to all above. My 2006 XC70 Geartronic gear knob button has broken in exactly the same place. I have yet to find out whether it's the with or without pin version, hopefully Charlton will come up with the goods. Then as my days of car fixing are over, shall take that and the pdf along to my local garage who seem to be able to do anything on my car and have them fix it.

Then it'll remain 12 years young / 125,000 miles and just run in....
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 19:16   #8
Sn00py

Default Gear Knob

Thanks for ALL your information. My gear knob has broken below wher the button is and allows it to come out too far. Have you any idea if you can get a complete knob? Its stuck in P a few times and is a bit of a so and so to clear. I have now fixed the button IN and the car drives fine but the danger of selecting R in erro is there all the time.
Any advice is most welcome as I getting on in years and the local eealership want £130 just to diagnose the fault and it doesnt come off the price of fixing it.. so its NOT going in there.

Thanks for any help
Snoopy(Dave)
Old May 22nd, 2019, 02:31   #9
oragex
Premier Member

You can use pretty any knob from automatic transmissions from 2001 on, used one shouldn't be expensive. The problem pulling the knob out is the rod is not lubed and doesn't want to slide out. You may be pulling on it and it certainly feels like it will never come out, no matter what. My tip is to pull on it several times, not just a continuous pull. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0EcSeEn2fk