Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 325371

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2019, 19:38   #1911
mario2hr
Mario CRO

Spiler is ready and waiting in a garage to make some free time and put it on trunk. Nothing else. I hate plastic around car because here we have so mich bumpers and it can be impossible to drive without break something. But yes, it's a cool car, unsual and never old by design. Sometimes i hate it but mostly love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanoconnor View Post
Nice wheels. I am trying to sell some at the moment. Apart from the lack of a spoiler your car looks identical to mine, or did when I had the 17s on it.

S60s look amazing in black. 2 builders commented in St Ives today, "Now that's a cool car!" Made me smile. Little do they know how much hassle it is....
mario2hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 15:53   #1912
davebb
Premier Member

yesterday I removed my old standard front struts from my s60 D5,
and took them apart , Today I have been drilling the bottom of the strut to drain the oil, no gas came out as they did not return by themselves , must have leaked out long ago, then cut the strut 40mm down from the top plastic cover of the shock, removed the insides of the shocks, then fitted the koni sport adjustable dampers/inserts, now I have to clean the rust off and paint the old shock housings with hamerite paint , but I am getting worn out, I will be glad when I have finished,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 16:49   #1913
reggit
Premier Member

Changed the oil and filter - how exciting!
Old May 23rd, 2019, 17:27   #1914
Simmy
Premier Member

how do the inserts stay in dave? is there some sort of fixing?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 00:31   #1915
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
how do the inserts stay in dave? is there some sort of fixing?
Hi you drill a 14mm hole in the bottom of the shock and screw in a large Allan screw with a large cup washer and a lock washer to 75nm ,at the top of the insert there is 3 "bumps" evenly spaced around the KONI insert body about an
inch below the top of the KONI insert tube. When you tighten the lower
retaining bolt, this will pull the insert into the original tube and these
bumps will create a crush fit to lock the insert to the
original strut tube and prevent any play.
Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 12:53   #1916
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I had no idea a "strut insert" type of option existed for our cars or most others frankly.
Decades ago I fitted strut inserts from J.C.Whitney (archaic/iconic Detroit based cheap parts source) into my '72 Toyota Corolla DeLuxe. Having not seen the retaining disc in any other strut after that I concluded the inserts were a legacy technology from the earliest days of McPhearson struts only.

Off I go to the Koni website.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 13:03   #1917
davebb
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Koni-Spor...72.m2749.l2649

This is were I got mine from,
don't try and order from autodoc Germany like I did,
autodoc had them listed for £125 each and they still have,
so I ordered them, after 2 days I asked when they will be sending them, they told me shortly ,after 5 days I got a email from them saying that they did not have them, and could not get them, and it took another 5 days to get the refund back in my bank,
they still have them on there site,
Dave
Old May 24th, 2019, 16:55   #1918
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
I had no idea a "strut insert" type of option existed for our cars or most others frankly.
Decades ago I fitted strut inserts from J.C.Whitney (archaic/iconic Detroit based cheap parts source) into my '72 Toyota Corolla DeLuxe. Having not seen the retaining disc in any other strut after that I concluded the inserts were a legacy technology from the earliest days of McPhearson struts only.

Off I go to the Koni website.
This is a pdf from ipd usa website , it says up to 2002, I think this is only because when the doc was made,
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...makTQc-nrYmu_s

also the ebay seller was very good and fast, 4 days from Germany DHL fully tracked,
Dave

Last edited by davebb; May 24th, 2019 at 17:41.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 17:42   #1919
alanoconnor

Drove around St Ives in my Volvo working - very carefully as did not want to damage my new alloys. At one point was concentrating so much on being away from a granite kerb I nearly drove into an oncoming truck.

Decided I will work in the Rav4 from now on as my heart was racing every time I had to manoeuvre anywhere that involved a granite kerb (basically, every road in St Ives).

Also, trip computer suggests I am getting about 18 miles to the gallon in St Ives so that is about 200 to the tank. I get double that in the Rav4.

Took some nice pictures of the T5 though - one is a full 2 feet away from kerb....
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 17:45   #1920
alanoconnor

Banged my head on my hands and burst into tears when 'Anti Skid Service Required' light came on....
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote