Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox and Clutch Strength?

Views : 2042

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:12   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default Gearbox and Clutch Strength?

Still gathering info for my engine conversion, had a thought does a 340 use the same gearbox as a 360?
If not how much HP can you put through it?
Also is the clutch for a 340 the same as a 360?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 21:13   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Gearbox and diff use the same inards.

Clutch is not the same between 1.4 1.7 and 2ltr

There are some hybrid clutch combinations you can use depending on what engine you are fitting.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 00:11   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Gearbox and diff use the same inards.

Clutch is not the same between 1.4 1.7 and 2ltr

There are some hybrid clutch combinations you can use depending on what engine you are fitting.
Fitting B230ET.
I was just wondering whether to do it to a 340 as parts are more readily available but all the research I have done is for a 360 so will just stick with that as the clutches are different.
Was hoping the clutch would be the same.
I know all the parts I need, now I just need to get a 740 turbo pressure plate as that fits to the 360 clutch just not sure which plate exactly.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 23:15   #4
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

When I turbo swapped Adam's car last year, none of the 940 turbo clutch would fit inside the bellhousing, but I bet it varies between manufacturers. The 360 clutch is not particularly strong, but will get you up and running.

The gearbox should be good to at least 250bhp, provided you're not mercilessly abusing it. Beyond that, the diff spider gears appear to be weak. Weld though, and drive gently, and it should hold north of 300bhp, which is a lot of juice in just over a ton of car.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:28   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
When I turbo swapped Adam's car last year, none of the 940 turbo clutch would fit inside the bellhousing, but I bet it varies between manufacturers. The 360 clutch is not particularly strong, but will get you up and running.

The gearbox should be good to at least 250bhp, provided you're not mercilessly abusing it. Beyond that, the diff spider gears appear to be weak. Weld though, and drive gently, and it should hold north of 300bhp, which is a lot of juice in just over a ton of car.

cheers

James
Cheers James, it's good to be reassured I'm not gonna blow the gearbox up
As for power the engine has 182hp and I'm thinking freeflow exhaust, pod filter (cone filter). That's all so just shy of 200hp. As for grip the widest tires I can fit (with Leo wheels if I can find any) with some decent coilovers and some big vented discs should stop me a bit quicker.
I found that the 360 clutch holds around 150hp but if combined with a 740 turbo pressure plate (bolts straight on) will hold around 400Nm of torque and a fair few horses.
Obviously there are different ones, but I found the 84-89 B230ET Pressure Plate for a 740 would that be the one to get?
I was having a look around 300 mania yesterday and apparently a VW Golf mark 2 clutch has the same spline size as the 360 clutch and is 228mm so is the same size as the B230ET clutch.
However knowing I can use the original clutch + 740 PP I will go with this combo, as I'd like to keep it as much Volvo as possible.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 00:32   #6
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I reckon the 360 one will hold about 200lbft (torque is the issue), but lifespan will be reduced. The 360 disc is identical to the 740 one aside from the splines. I'd see if a local clutch shop can make you a custom disc if the 740 plate doesn't hold it.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 01:27   #7
wiganer31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Cheers James, it's good to be reassured I'm not gonna blow the gearbox up
As for power the engine has 182hp and I'm thinking freeflow exhaust, pod filter (cone filter). That's all so just shy of 200hp. As for grip the widest tires I can fit (with Leo wheels if I can find any) with some decent coilovers and some big vented discs should stop me a bit quicker.
I found that the 360 clutch holds around 150hp but if combined with a 740 turbo pressure plate (bolts straight on) will hold around 400Nm of torque and a fair few horses.
Obviously there are different ones, but I found the 84-89 B230ET Pressure Plate for a 740 would that be the one to get?
I was having a look around 300 mania yesterday and apparently a VW Golf mark 2 clutch has the same spline size as the 360 clutch and is 228mm so is the same size as the B230ET clutch.
However knowing I can use the original clutch + 740 PP I will go with this combo, as I'd like to keep it as much Volvo as possible.

wouldn't worry about blowing gearboxes, mines had some abuse and its fine lol
wiganer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 05:06   #8
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I reckon the 360 one will hold about 200lbft (torque is the issue), but lifespan will be reduced. The 360 disc is identical to the 740 one aside from the splines. I'd see if a local clutch shop can make you a custom disc if the 740 plate doesn't hold it.

cheers

James
I shouldn't think there will be a problem with the 740 plate to hold it. But if it doesn't then a custom one will be the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganer31 View Post
wouldn't worry about blowing gearboxes, mines had some abuse and its fine lol
Even more reassuring lol.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 13:58   #9
wiganer31

its only running standard power of a b230fk but done a few drift days in it and had no problems, not with the gearbox anyways lol
wiganer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wiganer31 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 15:29   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Still gathering info for my engine conversion, had a thought does a 340 use the same gearbox as a 360?
Also is the clutch for a 340 the same as a 360?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
The 340/360 gearbox is straight out of a 240 , just turned 90 degrees and even the gear ratios are the same , so thats not a problem , the final drive may or may not be a problem as that is specific to 300 , as james said above . However in my 35 years in aily contact with 300s never has a gearbox or final drive failed in normal circumstances that i know of what ever the mileage .
The 360 has a different input shaft and housing though to couple to the 360 torque tube , the weak spot there is the coupling which connects the propshaft to input shaft . i have changed quite a few when the 360 was current which have stripped the splines , but survived with just a new coupling .
The gear lever mount would crack where it is bolted to the torque tube too , on some cars