Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suggestions Please

Views : 683

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:33   #1
leabby

Default Suggestions Please

Inherited a Volvo 440 last year from my uncle. he brought the car in 1993 and kept it until he passed away at the age of 93. I even have his death certificate.

I took the car with only 10,000 miles on it.

Converted it to gas at a cost of £2400.00.

The car has now covered £26,000. Not a great deal of history, but if the car is looked at by a keen eye, it is clear that many original parts are still in place. Including the brakes and exhaust (except one piece which I recenlty changed). The underside is as new.

Yesterday, whilst parked the drivers door got knocked and it is dented. The repair can be carried out simply enough by a panel beater.

I can trade this in for as a scrap vehicle and get £2000.00 PX.

Otherwise the car is immaculate in every way. And covers the equivalent to 80MPH.

Their are two LPG tanks, totalling 120 litres. These fill up gor about £65.00 and cover approximately 650 miles before I need to stop again.

Not sure if I should just buy a new vehicle via the scrap system. Keep the car and repair the damage (via insurance).

Fix the car and sell on. Or sell the car with the damage still in place.

Could I get more than £2000.00 for the volvo????

Really srtuggling, with what to do.

Any suggestions?? Would this sell for £3000.00, bearing in mind that the conversion cost £2400.00 and was carried out by an approved fitter.
leabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 14:25   #2
stanmat

Sorry, no, the best 400s can barely make a grand and the LPG won't make much diference.

Best to sell it if you don't want it to someone who'll use it, then haggle at least £2000 off a new car, which shouldn't be a problem, especially the ones dealers can't get rid of like ex demonstrators which aren't covered under the scrappage. Also if the V5 hasn't been in your name for 12 months you'll be unable to use the crappage scheme anyway.

Or of course, the best option will be to keep it and enjoy it yourself, why spend thousands on a new car that'll depreciate quicker then a brick out of a window when the volvo will do everything as well if not better ? Then spend the thousands on something more worthwhile.
stanmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 15:20   #3
leabby

Default Thanks

Thanks Stan

I have had the car for 12 months (on 13th), will probably keep hold of it as the saving on LPG in superb.

Certianly a lovely car to drive and trouble free for the last year.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 16:23   #4
Blue 8
Premier Member

£3,000 LOL not a chance , if the car holds no sentiment for you and money is more important than finding a good home for it at a realistic price , scrap it and get your 2k.

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 17:49   #5
leabby

Default No More

I have had my wrist slapped as I have this on two threads. Please ignore this one and go to 440 sales.

Thanks