Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Regarding Manual and Power Tailgate

Views : 2804

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2011, 21:26   #11
MikeAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
pcc is pretty clever. there are several proximity sensors in the car, and the system uses these to determine where the key is in relation to the vehicle. for example, if someone is stood with the key by the drivers door, only the driver side doors can be opened, e.g not the tailgate or passenger side doors. the door will only unlock when the correct handle is pulled. you can also configure what you want to happen when the correct door is opened, e.g. allow all other doors inc the tailgate to be opened. on all xc60's you can set all doors to lock after you hit 4mph - very useful.
Very ingenious, thank you darb.
So am I correct in assuming the following:-
Scenario 1 [The close encounter]~ You walk close by your car near to the drivers door and continue walking. Am I correct in assuming that door has now been unlocked and if you have forgotten the PCC may have unlocked it anyone passing by shortly after can gain entrance to the vehicle via that door simply by pulling the handle?

Scenario 2 ~ [Opening the Tailgate via the PCC] ~ You are approaching your vehicle from across the road and are laid with many parcels. The only way the Tailgate will 'automatically' open AND raise is by pressing a button on the PCC?

My apologies for these questions darb, I thought I knew the PCC but this has thrown me somewhat.
Thank you once again for your continued support.
MikeAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 21:37   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
pcc is pretty clever. there are several proximity sensors in the car, .
7 actualy!
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 21:49   #13
andyfromembsay

No - as well as a sensor knowing the key's nearby you also have to touch the door handle to open it. Theoretically if you passed within a few feet of the car a baddie could open the appropriate door as you walked by - but i suspect you'd spot them!
andyfromembsay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andyfromembsay For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 21:56   #14
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromembsay View Post
No - as well as a sensor knowing the key's nearby you also have to touch the door handle to open it. Theoretically if you passed within a few feet of the car a baddie could open the appropriate door as you walked by - but i suspect you'd spot them!
correct. you have to be less than 4 1/2 feet away and said baddie has to be on the correct side of the vehicle, ie. by the sensor which is closest to you and the pcc when he pulls the handle. if you pass by the passenger door, and baddie tries to open the driver door, it won't open.

if you pass by and leave the proximity of the vehicle and the correct door handle hasn't been opened, all doors remain locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAP View Post
Scenario 2 ~ [Opening the Tailgate via the PCC] ~ You are approaching your vehicle from across the road and are laid with many parcels. The only way the Tailgate will 'automatically' open AND raise is by pressing a button on the PCC?
makes perfect sense. i would be very surprised if the auto function didn't work like this.
82 Metro 1.0

Last edited by darbs; Mar 8th, 2011 at 21:59.
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 22:10   #15
MikeAP

Thanks guys....
The Tailgate remote opening by keypress was correct all along. I thought I had the given information wrong.

The close encounter method is understood know.
I was starting to think it weird the PCC opening the door and leaving it open as you continued pass your vehicle.

Thanks given to you both and UKDave who participated earlier but didn't get th chance to reply to.
MikeAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 23:04   #16
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAP View Post
Thanks given to you both and UKDave who participated earlier but didn't get th chance to reply to.
pleasure.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 08:49   #17
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
So I assume it is the same for the manual tailgate if it has a button in the compartment? - same thing applies - nothing happens if the vehicle is in motion?

Many thanks

So getting back to my original question and topic - does anyone know if the manual tailgate cars have an internal release button for the boot lid - and if it is inhibited from opening whilst the vehicle is in motion?
Thanks
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 09:47   #18
DEFRO

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
So getting back to my original question and topic - does anyone know if the manual tailgate cars have an internal release button for the boot lid - and if it is inhibited from opening whilst the vehicle is in motion?
Thanks
Are you working for Tony Soprano?
DEFRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:52   #19
volvorocks
Rodney

Default Explain what you mean DEFRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFRO View Post
Are you working for Tony Soprano?
Not quite sure what your implying here DEFRO.
An explanation may be warranted.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 11:26   #20
DEFRO

When I read your question "does anyone know if the manual tailgate cars have an internal release button for the boot lid - and if it is inhibited from opening whilst the vehicle is in motion?" the first thing that came up into my mind is a picture of a guy like "Tony Soprano" going to his car dealer and asking this particular question. As you know it is a common practise in the Mafia (at least on TV) to transport the guys they kidnap in the boot to a quiet location before they get wacked, obviously if you can open the boot from the inside that makes a very poor car choice in that line of business.

I hope I did not offend you in any way; there was nothing personal in my comments, it was just a poor attempt to be humorous.
DEFRO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEFRO For This Useful Post: